WCQ: Canada vs Haiti - In-Match Thread

Big_M

Never in doubt.

Most impressive part of this for me isn't so much all the goals we scored or chances created, but the lack of goal scoring chances we gave up to the opposition, despite being banned from playing at home by our own government. Yes, we got the fluke own goal in our favour for once, but even if we don't score tonight I think it stays 0-0. They created about 1 chance to score for us per game, which, considering that they had homefield advantage in this away-away tie, is quite satisfying given that that we were all worried about our defensive depth.

Also, can we have our broadcasters STFU now about the 2019 Gold Cup loss to Haiti already?

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think anyone doubts that the boys have bought in. I think we're concerned that it took a horrific own goal to actually break through and his substitutions seems questionable. 

I am not worried about the way we got the first goal.  The reality is that we were all over them. JD with three rapid fire shots in a 3 second span.  A goal line clearance on Victoria’s bullet header.  Plenty of chances.  The fact that we didn’t cash is just the way it was tonight.  On another night, we bang in 2 or 3 of them.  

And the fact that they didn’t happen to go in can’t be pinned on JH.  If anything, the fact that we had that many chances is a plus when it comes to coaching.  

1 minute ago, Lansdude said:

Yeah never really seen the Kaye everyone raves about until now

He's added a dimension, primarily the tactical defensive role. He's great going forward, can make line splitting passes, and can run forever. He and Stachio were impressive and should only get better.

Just now, The Beaver 2.0 said:

He's added a dimension, primarily the tactical defensive role. He's great going forward, can make line splitting passes, and can run forever. He and Stachio were impressive and should only get better.

Yeah really dig them as a pair. Two very cerebral players vibing well.

The only downside to this game was listening to the commentators.  Overall very happy with the performance today but definitely will need to be more clinical in the next round.

Borjan - Again did a great job except for another scare with the ball at his feet once again.

Kenendy - Quiet but solid performance for a third straight game.

Doneil Henry - Besides a needless early yellow and a missed opportunity, he was very good.

Viroria - Another very solid performance and great asset to have in the air

Davies - Not great, doing too much once again but even still generates so many opportunities for us.

Johnston - Another solid performance.

Osorio - Okay today, much less influential this game than the game in Haiti.

Kaye - Slow start but fantastic second half.

Eustaquio - Fantastic game once again.  Lucky to have him with us.

David - Obviously he could have scored a hat trick or more but it wasn't his day.

Larin - Decent game, missed a couple shots but got the crucial goal to kill the leg. 

Adekugbe - Off the bench with another strong performance.

Hoilett - Very good off the bench and great goal.

Buchanan - Looked lively off the bench again.

Wotherspoon - Another solid performance off the bench.

2 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

One thing I hate about announcers is when they dobt know basic information. Wheeler said a couple times that Haiti needed 3 goals when they only needed 2 away goals.

oh but he does know every pass a player should make before and after the fact!

22 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think anyone doubts that the boys have bought in. I think we're concerned that it took a horrific own goal to actually break through and his substitutions seems questionable. 

Even without that goal, or the two that followed it, we still qualify for the final round. Is it Herdman's fault that David and Larin missed the goal or shot it at the goalie's face when they should have scored?

5 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

One thing I hate about announcers is when they dobt know basic information. Wheeler said a couple times that Haiti needed 3 goals when they only needed 2 away goals.

Even when he mentioned that Mexico eliminated us in 1994. That was technically wrong as we were eliminated in the playoff v. Australia.