WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

I can’t remember who played beside Pinas at CB but if it’s Malone and Pinas are they that much better than Vitoria and Kennedy? Malone played in the 2nd division and ADO Den Haag finished last and was relegated this year. 

Against Bermuda, they lined up like this:

Becker ------- Hasselbaink --------Jozefzoon

--------Bisewar-------------Chery

-----------------Koolwijk (2nd Tier Netherlands)

Haps--------Pinas------Donk--------Leerdam (Inter Miami)

-------------------Hahn

I would say Donk, Pinas and Malone are better than Henry, Vitoria and Kennedy on paper.  But it's a team game and we've shown we can defend well as a team.  

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else have knots in their stomach because while one would think Canada wins, they don't fully trust Herdman?

Also our defence is a possible issue.

I don't know if it's Herdman I don't trust, it's the players. We saw them crumble against Haiti, obviously, but we also saw them crumble against the States when all they needed was a draw. Different stakes, but I can't have full confidence in this team until they give us more character wins. Hopefully we earn one tomorrow. 

I look at it this way:

We've had 4 big games under Herdman - Mexico, USA, USA, Haiti.

Now if you gave me those games and asked me what is an acceptable point total, I would say 4 out of a possible 12. We just came under that, so in my mind we are still under achieving, slightly. Still room to improve for sure.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Anyone else have knots in their stomach because while one would think Canada wins, they don't fully trust Herdman?

Not necessarily Herdman or the defence, just the history of Canadian soccer disappointment, the knots are there until job done.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think Herdman is going to get it right. Their attack isn't exactly scary and Herdman has shown that he can shut down a team like the USA with solid attackers. 

A one off against an unknown is always troubling.  Been at this a long time, I'm always cynical.  It's not my fault l've been conditioned.  However...

While some of the faces remain the same this is not the team that lost to Haiti three years ago.  Not even close.  

For all the lack of quality matches leading into tomorrow there is too much game changing talent out there for Canada.   Feeling good about tomorrow.  Real good.

55 minutes ago, Alex said:

I can’t remember who played beside Pinas at CB but if it’s Malone and Pinas are they that much better than Vitoria and Kennedy? Malone played in the 2nd division and ADO Den Haag finished last and was relegated this year. 

It was Donk I think last match but before that it was Abenas I believe when Donk was in the midfield.

Just now, trc2014 said:

Always love these vids

Squad staying at the Westin in Sarasota.. that's a great spot and good to see the boys being treated well. 

I didn't see Henry in this video and judging by Sturing's face on the plane he may not handle the heat so well LOL.

I'd be happy with a Kennedy and Vitoria pairing tomorrow night.

2 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Squad staying at the Westin in Sarasota.. that's a great spot and good to see the boys being treated well. 

I didn't see Henry in this video and judging by Sturing's face on the plane he may not handle the heat so well LOL.

I'd be happy with a Kennedy and Vitoria pairing tomorrow night.

Wasnt Henry interviewed by the media today?  I’d be surprised if they made someone available who was injured and not starting.

11 minutes ago, trc2014 said:
Always love these vids

Is that Cava or somebody else who says at ~1min9secs "¡O CARAJO!"  and then we hear "O Canadá!" . Dude does not give a 💩 and gets away with it on a CSA promo video because it's in Spanish. ;)

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/carajo

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I like Laryea on the left and Johnston on the right. I haven't watched Johnston like at all, but I haven't ever heard anyone mention pace as a strength for him. With Laryea on the left with Davies in front of him we have lots of pace over there to deal with Becker. Since ZBG was subbed in I have been assuming Herdman's plan was Laryea on the left and Johnston on the right, and I like it.

And for those that weren't aware of Laryea playing on the left, I don't have the numbers but he scored a number of goals from the left for TFC. It seemed like if he played on the right he would get assists or draw penalties, and if he played on the left he would score. I think he is a good defender on either side.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Yeah less than 24 more hours until game day so I can see why everyone is nervous 

Becker is an elite talent. His speed and skill will be a problem for us.  He is dangerous on the left and right and often switches wings during the game.  He is their key threat going forward.  Matching him up with Adekugbe or Johnston would be asking for trouble.  Becker has the quality to destroy a player like Johnston and Adekugbe 1v1.  They are simply not at his level.  If one of Adekugbe or Johnston plays, they will get targeted just as Haiti did Godinho.   

I now expect Davies at LB and Laryea at RB.    

1 minute ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah less than 24 more hours until game day so I can see why everyone is nervous 

I fluctuate between getting excited for our first real test since nations league and getting anxious for us to get this over with so we can play in the next round.

7 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Becker is an elite talent. His speed and skill will be a problem for us.  He is dangerous on the left and right and often switches wings during the game.  He is their key threat going forward.  Matching him up with Adekugbe or Johnston would be asking for trouble.  Becker has the quality to destroy a player like Johnston and Adekugbe 1v1.  They are simply not at his level.  If one of Adekugbe or Johnston plays, they will get targeted just as Haiti did Godinho.   

We just need to make sure we control the midfield like versus the USA at bmo so he can’t get the ball. 

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Adekugbe yes, but Johnston maybe. He is a very good defending full back, even though he doesn’t have the pace of Laryea, who doesn’t have the pace of Davies. 

Maybe we play Davies at LB though. I mean, it wouldn’t be the worst plan considering we just need a draw. Not suggesting we play for one, but going with Laryea and Davies is the best bet to shut down Becker, regardless of what flank he plays on.

Also, I notice that Becker has a transfer market value of 3 million, but we’ve been talking about him as if he’s Leon Bailey or something. I am going to assume he’s being criminally underrated and should be a +10 million player, since we are talking about putting our own 75 million valued player on the backline to counteract him.