WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

2 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I'm nervous AF.  A young team with loads of superior talent vs. a veteran, battle hardened squad with inferior overall talent but will fight to the death.  As a jaded Leafs fan, where have I heard (and seen) this before? 😬

I'm trying to put my historic pessimism about Canada aside. I first got into soccer in the run up to the 8-1 Honduras game. I've been jaded ever since. 

This squad we have now though... they're different. As someone else in this thread stated, they're winners. They're coming off of some major career highs and should be brimming with confidence. We as a nation might carry some baggage from the past, but these players don't. 

They're a superior side and Herdman is a good coach. We have all the pieces. I think we can pull it off. 2-0 Canada is my prediction! 

I know it's too late for this type of reflection, but I would've felt slightly more confident knowing that we had a Manjrekar James or Derek Cornelius starting in CB today. I hope Scott Kennedy proves me wrong, but there is definitely something scary about the "unknown factor" in such an important match.

Regardless, I am so fucking excited.

Side note: has anyone found a site with betting for this match? The lines are not up on Bet365 nor SportsInteraction in Canada.

Side note #2: Kudos to whoever does the videography for Canada Soccer. It really gives me pride seeing the brotherhood of the CanMNT in those behind the scenes videos.

42 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I'm nervous AF.  A young team with loads of superior talent vs. a veteran, battle hardened squad with inferior overall talent but will fight to the death.  As a jaded Leafs fan, where have I heard (and seen) this before? 😬

Will they "fight to the death"???  This Suriname team is akin to a group of mercenaries, recently recruited for battle. Are they prepared to leave it all on the field like our CA foes?...on neutral ground?

12 hours ago, kacbru said:

Or who was instrumental in their team winning Ligue 1...or the Turkish league...

When it comes to the CMNT, I am generally pessimistic.  But some of the comments here are over the top.  Suriname is a good Caribbean team, that's it.  I'm sure the fans of no other team with serious expectations of making it to the Oct would be this worried. 

We're going to be ball dominant from the get go.  It's hard to imagine the chemistry will be there for Suriname compared to Canada.  Canada's going to take this one by 2 or 3.  I actually was letting my anxiety get carried away reading this board.  No more.  We've got this. 

12 hours ago, kacbru said:

Or who was instrumental in their team winning Ligue 1...or the Turkish league...

When it comes to the CMNT, I am generally pessimistic.  But some of the comments here are over the top.  Suriname is a good Caribbean team, that's it.  I'm sure the fans of no other team with serious expectations of making it to the Oct would be this worried. 

Besiktas won the league by one goal over Galatasaray and Donk was a regular for them. They had a regular for the Israeli league winners as well. 

I can’t see Suriname pressing hard to win back and keep the ball because we would respond in kind and a track meet favours our younger and deeper side. They will trust in their experienced defenders and try to counter quickly without over committing, knowing that when they sit back we will have to try to pick the lock. They don’t want to get into a counter attack track meet either, though.  They don’t want Davies etc running at them with room to build up speed. They will sit back and absorb and try to counter in a way that doesn’t leave them exposed. It’s going to be like a chess match where both sides know ahead of time exactly what moves are coming. I’m confident but nervous and I know I’m not alone...

I was not nervous until this morning but reality has now hit me that this would set the program back another x amount of years and selfishly I want to travel to watch les rouges play after enduring this BS for the past 1.5 years. We have the talent and confidence on our side, we just need to execute for 90 minutes. Allez les rouges allez 

43 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Side note: has anyone found a site with betting for this match? The lines are not up on Bet365 nor SportsInteraction in Canada.

Nothing on Bodog either, which is my go-to betting site. Hoping they update later today. I need to increase the pressure a bit more with a bit of cash.

1 minute ago, Pottsy3 said:

Suriname's leading goal scorer is a guy who replaced Emery Welshman on an Israeli Premier League side this season. Let's pump the brakes here folks. 😅

And before that was an SPL smaller team journeyman.

Canada should we lose tonight, it will set our program back. Oh that I have no doubts about. But then again silver lining we are co hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup anyway with USA and Mexico. So yes a loss really would hurt us but honestly I'm just really praying for a win or even a draw to be honest. A win or a draw...either scenario we go through and then we just have to figure out whether we play Haiti or Nicaragua. Honestly, I would rather face Nicaragua in the home and away 2 leg playoff than Haiti. But we just have to get there.

54 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I know it's too late for this type of reflection, but I would've felt slightly more confident knowing that we had a Manjrekar James or Derek Cornelius starting in CB today. I hope Scott Kennedy proves me wrong, but there is definitely something scary about the "unknown factor" in such an important match.

Regardless, I am so fucking excited.

Side note #2: Kudos to whoever does the videography for Canada Soccer. It really gives me pride seeing the brotherhood of the CanMNT in those behind the scenes videos.

image.png.68eac539edb35d02f6e546f123b2d3db.png

Results from the DFB Pokal (Jahn Regensburg made it to the 1/4 finals after beating FC Koln - Scott scored for Jahn).  Scott was scored by SofaScore at 7.39 throughout the Pokal.  This ranked him at number 176 out of the 1195 German players in the Pokal.  By reference, Alphonso Davies scored 7.5 (107th overall).  I think we're going to be ok. 

I hate that this became a one-off, anything can happen.  At least we have the advantage of advancing with a tie.  We'll get better every match we play from here on and pick up some experience vs the big boys, it's soo important moving forward.  Just like the Haiti missed opportunity.  It's exactly what CANMNT needs.

Suriname have little to no pressure, they're seasoned veterans playing in a solid league who decided to honor and represent their parents/grandparents nations.  They didn't even know they'd be here 1-2 years ago.  

To be fair, their mids and defence are just as good as anyone Larin, Cavallini, David, and Eustaquio regularly play against.  I'd say Davies is probably the only guy used to playing vs tougher opposition regularly.  David yes and no, he's played vs better but he's also played regularly vs lesser D's.  So this isn't a lopsided matchup and we don't spectacularly overpower their defence, to think so would be naive.

The mids are evenly matched.  Us being a little younger with potentially more upside, however they've got a tonne more experience playing at a solid level.  This is where one of Arfield and Hutch would've been key.

Their forwards and wingers will be comfortable playing against our D.  "Containing" their passing and runs will be a challenge for our backline.  One of their guys played with Borjan, that kinda worries me too.  I'm sure he'll know and pass the message to pressure Borjan every time someone passes back.  Like a few said earlier, I'd feel a lot better with Davies and Laryea in the back, we need our best and most exprienced 11 on the field.  Not load the front, I don't feel the field will be tilted as much as some are expecting.