WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

Just now, SpursFlu said:

I see Scott Kennedy is left footed 

It's gonna be Laryea. He played there for TFC many times and did very well. Kennedy can play LB in an emergency situation, but considering we have 2 good right backs (3 of you count ZGB) why wouldn't we just shift one of them over to the left? I don't think ZGB or Johnston have played at LB much, if at all.

I guess Buchanan is a wildcard since he played there for a bit late against Aruba, but maybe that was just to accommodate Davies temporarily. 

11 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's gonna be Laryea. He played there for TFC many times and did very well. Kennedy can play LB in an emergency situation, but considering we have 2 good right backs (3 of you count ZGB) why wouldn't we just shift one of them over to the left? I don't think ZGB or Johnston have played at LB much, if at all.

I guess Buchanan is a wildcard since he played there for a bit late against Aruba, but maybe that was just to accommodate Davies temporarily. 

I imagine some pretty strong physical mature players on Suriname. Buchanan is a bit how do you say... slight. I really think that would be a massive mistake. If you consider our forwards we don't need too many more players thinking offense. I didn't know Laryea has experience out L. That sounds good

Edited by SpursFlu

9 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

If we lose this one it is much worse than losing to Honduras 8-1 those many years ago. Lost chance to play with big stars in the Oct and gain some exposure. Might cost us some of those dual nationals we want so much.

Agreed. Bare minimum requirements (personally) for a “successful” WCQ campaign is Ocho. Top 5 is next step, top 4 is full success and auto qual is amazing over the moon result. Tomorrow is huge

10 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Agreed. Bare minimum requirements (personally) for a “successful” WCQ campaign is Ocho. Top 5 is next step, top 4 is full success and auto qual is amazing over the moon result. Tomorrow is huge

Every game is huge from now on. We have the talent, now we need the results. 

Provided we don't slip on the banana skin tomorrow, I do fancy us over two legs against Haiti or Nicaragua.

When we missed out on the hex it was always a disaster, missing out on the Och would he inexcusable. While Onesoccer pundits will rightfully down play it if that happens there will be huge calls for Herdmans head. It's the best talent pool we have ever had. I don't know how you go back to basics and try again with the same management team. Thin margins that might not reflect the true work done by management or players but physicolocially its massively damaging.

A scenario we hopefully don't have to worry about and shouldn't as long as we stay professional like we have.

44 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Every game is huge from now on. We have the talent, now we need the results. 

Provided we don't slip on the banana skin tomorrow, I do fancy us over two legs against Haiti or Nicaragua.

When we missed out on the hex it was always a disaster, missing out on the Och would he inexcusable. While Onesoccer pundits will rightfully down play it if that happens there will be huge calls for Herdmans head. It's the best talent pool we have ever had. I don't know how you go back to basics and try again with the same management team. Thin margins that might not reflect the true work done by management or players but physicolocially its massively damaging.

A scenario we hopefully don't have to worry about and shouldn't as long as we stay professional like we have.

Unlike a lot of people on here I am a big fan of Herdman, but if we don't make the Ocho I can't see any way he can stay on.

Edited by Ruffian

23 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

If we lose this one it is much worse than losing to Honduras 8-1 those many years ago. Lost chance to play with big stars in the Oct and gain some exposure. Might cost us some of those dual nationals we want so much.

it will definitely cost us the dual nationals. Not making the Ocho will deal a serious blow to the program.

19 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Agree! This is a huge chance to advance the program, we have the talent and although we haven't been able to play a proper home match we have not had to compete in the tough Central American environments where everything can be stacked against you! A loss tomorrow would be devastating and potentially set this program back massively!

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I imagine some pretty strong physical mature players on Suriname. Buchanan is a bit how do you say... slight. I really think that would be a massive mistake. If you consider our forwards we don't need too many more players thinking offense. I didn't know Laryea has experience out L. That sounds good

It hasn't stopped him from being an MLS stand out, which is a very physical league.

38 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's gonna be Laryea. He played there for TFC many times and did very well. Kennedy can play LB in an emergency situation...

Agreed.

Kennedy seemed to do much better when he was left-CB than when he was LB.

I am worried about him, given that we have yet to see him with the #CanMNT but he doesn't seem like the type to make rash decisions or try a risky dribble out of trouble; he'll dump the ball long or out of play.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Cavallini 

Davies     David     Larin

Piette   Eustaquio 

Johnston Kennedy Vitoria Laryea 

Borjan

Piette to play the role of stay at home defenceman. Johnston also with strict instructions to think d first. Laryea with more free reign to push up as Larin will undoubtedly drift in more. I really like Cavallini to start because his head knocker style will create space for David & Larin who like to run in to channels 

Best lineup to go with

26 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Agreed.

Kennedy seemed to do much better when he was left-CB than when he was LB.

I am worried about him, given that we have yet to see him with the #CanMNT but he doesn't seem like the type to make rash decisions or try a risky dribble out of trouble; he'll dump the ball long or out of play.

And that is exactly what we need with Davies in attack.

Expected Suriname Starting 11:

GK Hahn - 28y/o - 3 caps - Unattached - Anderlecht 0 appearances in 2020/21 (43 appearances with Heerenveen 2017-20)

RB: Dankerlui - 24 y/o - 2 caps - Gronigen (1st Tier) - 28 appearances in 2020/21 - 0 goals

CB: Malone - 32 y/o - 2 caps -NAC Breda (2nd Tier) - 33 appearances in 2020/21 - 1 goal

CB: Pinas - 23 y/o - 3 caps - ADO Den Haag (1st Tier) - 27 appearances in 20/21 - 3 goals

LB: Haps - 27 y/o - 1 cap - Feyenoord (1st Tier) - 21 appearances in 202/21 - 3 goals

DM: Donk - 35 y/o - 3 caps - Galatasaray (1st Tier) - 32 appearances in 20/21 - 2 goals

CM: Bisewar - 33 y/o - 2 caps - Apollon Limassol (1st Tier Cyprus) - 5 appearances - 1 goal ((on loan from PAOK, 11 goals with Feyenoord 2005-12)

CM: Cherry - 33 y/o - 2 caps - Maccabi Haifa (1st Tier) - 25 appearances in 20/21 - 7 goals

RW: Becker - 26 y/o - 1 cap - Union Berlin (7th place in Bundesliga) - 18 appearances in 20/21 - 3 goals

CF: Hasselbaink - 30 y/o - 5 caps - Ihud Bnei Sakhnin (1st Tier Israel) - 21 appearances in 20/21 - 0 goals (13 goals in Israeli league between 2018-20)

LW: Jozefzoon - 30 y/o - 2 caps - Derby County (2nd Tier England) - 24 appearances in 20/21 - 0 goals (5 goals in 45 appearances for PSV 2013-17)

I am going to miss the the first half of this match but I was wondering if (since this is such a big one off match) we could have a new game thread put in and unlocked just before game time and then a separate post match thread? We have done that in the past.  This pre-game thread is already 19 pages and counting and I like to look back on previous comments in an easier way. 

35 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Best lineup to go with

Swap Laryea and Johnston. Someone saying it's too much on the left? 

Also is Adekugbe coming off with an injury that big of a factor? Is that why this is the lineup has Johnston and Laryea(I was shocked that Tajon started v Aruba and even that ZBG was on bench!).

23 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

GK Hahn - 28y/o - 3 caps - Unattached - Anderlecht 0 appearances in 2020/21 (43 appearances with Heerenveen 2017-20)

RB: Dankerlui - 24 y/o - 2 caps - Gronigen (1st Tier) - 28 appearances in 2020/21 - 0 goals

CB: Malone - 32 y/o - 2 caps -NAC Breda (2nd Tier) - 33 appearances in 2020/21 - 1 goal

CB: Pinas - 23 y/o - 3 caps - ADO Den Haag (1st Tier) - 27 appearances in 20/21 - 3 goals

LB: Haps - 27 y/o - 1 cap - Feyenoord (1st Tier) - 21 appearances in 202/21 - 3 goals

DM: Donk - 35 y/o - 3 caps - Galatasaray (1st Tier) - 32 appearances in 20/21 - 2 goals

CM: Bisewar - 33 y/o - 2 caps - Apollon Limassol (1st Tier Cyprus) - 5 appearances - 1 goal ((on loan from PAOK, 11 goals with Feyenoord 2005-12)

CM: Cherry - 33 y/o - 2 caps - Maccabi Haifa (1st Tier) - 25 appearances in 20/21 - 7 goals

RW: Becker - 26 y/o - 1 cap - Union Berlin (7th place in Bundesliga) - 18 appearances in 20/21 - 3 goals

CF: Hasselbaink - 30 y/o - 5 caps - Ihud Bnei Sakhnin (1st Tier Israel) - 21 appearances in 20/21 - 0 goals (13 goals in Israeli league between 2018-20)

LW: Jozefzoon - 30 y/o - 2 caps - Derby County (2nd Tier England) - 24 appearances in 20/21 - 0 goals (5 goals in 45 appearances for PSV 2013-17)

that's....really not impressive at all purely stats wise. It's not helping me be any less nervous though. 

This is going to be the most difficult game we've played under Herdman.  

Suriname is a well balanced team.  They have a mix of youth and experience, though their central mids are all mid 30s.  They match up against us well, in that they have excellent, in form defenders to deal with our strong attackers.  They have speedy young fullbacks to deal with our wingers.      

Their forward line is less threatening than ours, but they are talented and will carve us up if we let them play their game.

I'll also add that I dont put much stock in their lack of team cohesion being a factor.  Yes, they've only played a few games together, and never against a decent opponent.  But they've been in camp for much longer than we have.  And they were all raised in the same Dutch football system.  Their coach comes from that same football background.  This is a huge advantage they have over our team.  They have an identity and style they can easily tap into.   

Quite frankly, we will need to produce one of the best performances in the history of the CANMNT to get a result.  And I expect nothing less from this squad.  We can absolutely get the job done.  

Edited by BrennanFan

Just now, BrennanFan said:

This is going to be the most difficult game we've played under Herdman. 

How so? We’ve played the US and Mexico under Herdman - both far superior to Suriname. Unless you mean the highest stakes match which I would agree with.

if we can’t at least grind out a draw against this Suriname squad on a neutral field it’s a massive failure 

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

How so? We’ve played the US and Mexico under Herdman - both far superior to Suriname. Unless you mean the highest stakes match which I would agree with.

if we can’t at least grind out a draw against this Suriname squad on a neutral field it’s a massive failure 

I'm referring the stakes and the fight the Suriname players will bring tomorrow.  Their World Cup is on the line.  It is the last chance for many of their veteran players.  The intensity of Mexico at the Gold Cup and the US in Nations League will not compare the intensity of tomorrow's game.  That is what makes this our most difficult game.

We need to bring the same ruthless aggression we did in Toronto against the US in 2019 to get the job done.    

57 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I can’t remember who played beside Pinas at CB but if it’s Malone and Pinas are they that much better than Vitoria and Kennedy? Malone played in the 2nd division and ADO Den Haag finished last and was relegated this year.