WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

43 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

How on earth can Van Dijk and Wijnaldum be eligible for Suriname? Both have played many times for the Netherlands senior national team.

These are all hypothetical scenarios from Transfermrkt for fun. It's almost like saying, imagine Van Dijk wasn't one of the best centrebacks in the world. Instead, he played in the English Championship and was 4 inches shorter. Then he MIGHT end up playing for Suriname. 

1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

How on earth can Van Dijk and Wijnaldum be eligible for Suriname? Both have played many times for the Netherlands senior national team.

They’re not under any circumstances.  Can Dijk is literally the captain of the Netherlands team lol.

The list is just a fantasy list and not intended to be what could actually happen.

11 hours ago, Big_M said:

very scary situation..they are coming in with a lot of high level players and beat bermuda 6-0 that we beat 5-1..and our central midfield situation doesnt look good with piette osorio fraser as subs or playing little in their club and kaye not doing well with lafc..the 2022 dream could very well end in a few days

Relax, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

9 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Could have been a lot worse on who Suriname potentially had to draw from if they had been quicker to allow dual nationality for people in their diaspora that want to represent them in sport:

5ebcd6e44fe20.jpg

Assuming all goes well this time I think the concern would be that over the next few years this propels them to Jamaica sort of levels in ranking terms making it more difficult for the CMNT to become a fixture in the top tier of CONCACAF teams.

Except you have to factor in how the Netherlands is not the size of France of Germany, and the top thirty Dutch guys who have Surinamese background are always going to hold out for the Dutch National team until they absolutely have no chance with them, which would be in their late twenties or thirties, if that. Just remember that a guy like Ryan Babel played for the Dutch in the 2007 EURO U21 and then never repped them again until a few years back in his early 30s. 

Until Suriname become an attractive national team to play for, like the Moroccan national team, Dutch guys are not going to commit until there is nothing left to lose, or gain for that matter.

3 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

As stated they would potentially have been available if Suriname had changed the law on dual nationality for top sports figures in their diaspora a lot sooner than they did.

Nothing in what I wrote suggested they all would have any more than all players in England with ties to Jamaica have chosen to represent Jamaica rather than England.

The point was only that the potential talent pool they are tapping into now is of scarily high quality in CONCACAF terms so a similar rankings rise to the Reggae Boyz may happen in the years ahead regardless of what happens this time around.

25 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

As stated they would potentially have been available if Suriname had changed the law on dual nationality for top sports figures in their diaspora a lot sooner than they did.

Nothing in what I wrote suggested they all would have any more than all players in England with ties to Jamaica have chosen to represent Jamaica rather than England.

The point was only that the potential talent pool they are tapping into now is of scarily high quality in CONCACAF terms so a similar rankings rise to the Reggae Boyz may happen in the years ahead regardless of what happens this time around.

Even if Suriname had changed their citizenship laws 50 years ago, not a single one of those players would be playing for them right now. As usual, you're talking absolute shit. The quality of player that they'll be tapping into in the future is exactly the one that they've tapped into now....Dutch players of Surinamese descent who know they are/never will be good enough to play for Holland and players in their late-20s or early-30s who believed that they might one day get picked for Holland, but have finally realised that it's never going to happen.

I mean yeah I think out of all the teams in this Round 1 of CONCACAF qualifying, Canada we have basically put all of these teams on notice. I mean yeah sure we have only given up 1 goal during qualifying so far. But look at how many goals we have scored during our games? We have 23 goals for, 1 goal against...pretty damn impressive. Yeah sure Suriname they have not given up any goals in this group having a plus 15 goal differential. And they are level with us on points. Both countries having 9 points through 3 games. I mean it all comes down to this on Tuesday. Less than 48 hours away from match day.

18 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Team Suriname is already in Chicago, from the speed I assume they flew on a charter

The president and the entire nation is behind them giving them vocal support and any financial assistance required.  

The players requested to be in Chicago immediately post match to Rest and Recover and prep, definitely was a charter.

My understanding was that it had something to do with logistics for the next 2 matches (provided we advance). 

Also, I'm glad it is not on that same field as last night. That field was horse sh*t last night, ball bouncing everywhere.  Even the boss talked about it in the post game presser and how they adjusted tactics 20 mins in because of it.

Hopefully this Chicago field is better also.

5 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

My understanding was that it had something to do with logistics for the next 2 matches (provided we advance). 

How so? the flights to Haiti or Nicaragua are much shorter from Florida than Chicago 

33 minutes ago, Floortom said:

How so? the flights to Haiti or Nicaragua are much shorter from Florida than Chicago 

Maybe it's harder to fly from Florida to Nicaragua?

Edit: that's not it as there are quite a few flights per day from Miami to Managua

Edited by narduch

The possibility of us not starting Adekugbe and Vitoria against Suriname unsettles me. I feel like Henry hasn't played a big game for us in years, and Kennedy getting thrown into a do or die game? 

Hoping Herdman knows better than to start Phonz at LB and that Osorio is healthy enough to play to his potential. 

Biggest game in 4 years, only 2 days away.

Just now, narduch said:

Is Henry even available? He wasn't even on the bench yesterday.

I was surprised no one asked about this in the post game match yesterday.  Obviously Herdman is keeping quiet about it but there is a real risk he is re-injured.  Although, on the flip side if that was the case you think they would have taken Vitoria out at half or something along those lines, to save him for game 2.

I don't know if the CSA was flying charter or not?

I think it was @Olympique_de_Marseille not 100% who posted something a while back about the Chicago logistics. 

Also, maybe they did not think Suriname would charter though? That would have given us a very nice edge. 

Also, nothing direct from Orlando though and transfering via Miami airport to an international is brutal. I've lost luggage numerous times and missed connections or had long layovers.

More importantly, Orlando to Chicago is also an ez flight, so not concerned with this match. 

Honestly, does suck we couldn't have played both at BMO,  the CMNT are absolute beasts on that field. 

Anyways is what it is at this point. 

8 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Hoping Herdman knows better than to start Phonz at LB...  

This is the one thing I am unsure about.  Normally I agree that Phonzie is better employed further up as an attacking player, but if we anticipate Suriname trying to hit us on the counter (and if they have one of the fastest guys in Bundesliga to do it) I wonder if keeping him at LB for this game makes sense.  

I know he had a big impact as an attacker last night, and maybe it is better to give their defence and mids a whole lot more to worry about, but a part of me thinks that his speed and experience in defence may be the best spot for this one game where we advance if we don’t concede a goal.  

25 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I don't know if the CSA was flying charter or not?

I think it was @Olympique_de_Marseille not 100% who posted something a while back about the Chicago logistics. 

Also, maybe they did not think Suriname would charter though? That would have given us a very nice edge. 

Also, nothing direct from Orlando though and transfering via Miami airport to an international is brutal. I've lost luggage numerous times and missed connections or had long layovers.

More importantly, Orlando to Chicago is also an ez flight, so not concerned with this match. 

Honestly, does suck we couldn't have played both at BMO,  the CMNT are absolute beasts on that field. 

Anyways is what it is at this point. 

I normally don’t get angry with the CSA not spending money - budget is tight and not much revenue is coming in, especially the last two years.  If we decided to have a game in Chicago on less rest than our opponents and not charter that is ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There are many direct commercial flights from Bradenton and from Tampa. No need to go back to Orlando.

Oops, my bad thought it was Orlando not Bradenton for some reason. Looks like I had a few too many last night while enjoying watching our lads.

Edited by apbsmith

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is the one thing I am unsure about.  Normally I agree that Phonzie is better employed further up as an attacking player, but if we anticipate Suriname trying to hit us on the counter (and if they have one of the fastest guys in Bundesliga to do it) I wonder if keeping him at LB for this game makes sense.  

I know he had a big impact as an attacker last night, and maybe it is better to give their defence and mids a whole lot more to worry about, but a part of me thinks that his speed and experience in defence may be the best spot for this one game where we advance if we don’t concede a goal.  

Davies at LB is fine as long as you are prepared to sacrifice his offense...exhibit USA away. There is no other player on our squad that can slice through defenders while advancing the ball at warp speed. His attacking ability, speed and intimidation factor is our best defense. Besides if he plays as a winger we know he is going to track back.  We should play to our strengths and challenge Suriname to beat us. Playing for a tie is dangerous given our CBs and JH has not been good with in game tactical adjustments.

The other side of that is that Davies is our best defender in addition to being our best attacker.

Lots of players have had the “Davies Flu” in the last few years and when Bayern has a tough game they play him a bit tighter defensively to ensure they give up no goals.    He really is a dominant defender as well.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I was surprised no one asked about this in the post game match yesterday.  Obviously Herdman is keeping quiet about it but there is a real risk he is re-injured.  Although, on the flip side if that was the case you think they would have taken Vitoria out at half or something along those lines, to save him for game 2.

I thought so too but it's not like Vitoria had to exert a lot of energy yesterday anyway. I expect him to still be starting on Tuesday especially if Henry is possibly injured. 

They mentioned many times that the teams split up and trained separately at the end of camp, so I’d expect a completely new 11. The only questions are guys like Henry/Osorio, who we don’t know if they’re fit. My possible lineups:

GK: Borjan

DF: Laryea, Henry/Vitoria, Kennedy, Johnston

MF: Piette, Eustaquio, Osorio

FW: Davies, Larin, David

DF: Laryea, Henry/Vitoria, Kennedy, Johnston

MF: Davies, Eustaquio, Piette, Corbeanu

FW: David, Larin

DF: Davies, Henry/Vitoria, Kennedy, Johnston

MF: Corbeanu, Piette, Eustaquio, Laryea

10 minutes ago, archer21 said:

They mentioned many times that the teams split up and trained separately at the end of camp, so I’d expect a completely new 11. The only questions are guys like Henry/Osorio, who we don’t know if they’re fit. My possible lineups:

DF: Laryea, Henry/Vitoria, Kennedy, Johnston

MF: Davies, Eustaquio, Piette, Corbeanu

DF: Davies, Henry/Vitoria, Kennedy, Johnston

MF: Corbeanu, Piette, Eustaquio, Laryea

I know he played last night but I think I would be more comfortable with Wotherspoon in the midfield over Osorio who is returning from injury and has not played any significant minutes with TFC!