WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

20 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Unsure why you're telling me to settle down given we seem to be in agreement on Becker as a player.  He's their danger man and we'll need to deal with him, and I have every expectation that we will.

He’s their danger man but he’s not elite. He’ll be dangerous no doubt but doesn’t seem to be at a Hoilett 2015 level - probably closer to a Simpson circa 2010/2011. That’s still saying a lot though as Simpson was our best player along with Atiba. 

It annoys me how confident Suriname fans are about this game. Like who do they think they are. Reading all the YouTube comments you would think we are still garbage. Time to put them back in their place.

Also as someone mentioned the Honduras game above. I still remember where I was when I found out the score. Please don't let that happen again.

47 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I think you can tell A LOT about people with how they answer two simple questions.

1).  In your experience which would you describe as better.  "Make up" sex or "Break up" sex?

2).  In your experience which would you describe as better.  "Pre game angst" or "Post match analysis" ?

Taken in the context of this topic... DISCUSS!

I could be wrong, but this might the closest thing our species has to a unifying theory of everything!  Sheer genius. 

For my two cents: I love me some post match make up sex. Especially after Davies and David and Larin rip them 'Namians a new one.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Oh man..now we're really losing it with a typical Canadian paranoia and inferiority complex if we're comparing Becker to Leon Bailey 😆

the paranoia leading up to this game is at an all time high 😂  I usually have low expectations when my sports teams play big games so I'm not disappointed after but honestly I am extremely confident in this team and the boys gonna play like most did for their clubs at the end of the year. Canada 3-1 Goals by David x2 and Larin!

Years of underachieving have jaded us fans. Look at what our A squad has done in club footballl this year. Winners. Traditionally we are always underdogs as CMNT. Not anymore, if we can’t wreck them we don’t deserve it and Herdman must go. Superstition aside, we are superior and it’s about time we carry that over. There, I said it.

If we’re that scared about Becker we might as well pack it up and go home if we advance to the Octo because there are much better players to worry about. He is no doubt a solid player who if we play terrible can cause us many problems but if the players and tactics are working there’s no reason he cannot be shut down. 

Edited by Atlantic

45 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

It annoys me how confident Suriname fans are about this game. Like who do they think they are. Reading all the YouTube comments you would think we are still garbage. Time to put them back in their place.

Also as someone mentioned the Honduras game above. I still remember where I was when I found out the score. Please don't let that happen again.

I'm with you on the youtube comments, and I've thought about 8-1 as well, but in the context of hoping tomorrow night's game is Suriname's "8-1" experience. It doesn't have to be by that score, but it would be very satisfying if we are able to comprehensively beat them back down to reality. I'm not saying it will be an easy game, I don't expect it to be easy, but it would really hit the spot if we hung 4 or 5 goals on them.

What I want to see tomorrow from our lads: A cohesively executed strategy for the full 90+, with rugged but intelligent defensive play, grit at every position, and audacious offensive creativity and cold-blooded finishing. I want us to be uncomfortable to play against in every respect, and once we are up a couple, I want us to put our boots on their throats and see the game out.  The big word here: cohesive.

13 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

the paranoia leading up to this game is at an all time high 😂 

Better to have this paranoia than Kurt Larson's boundless optimism.

As @BuzzAndSting said, I'm definitely a little 'stitious.

I've had a bad inkling since the draw was made (which is why I made the other thread) and have felt rather pessimistic ever since FIFA gave The Natio the green light to recruit any player using the Sports Passport. They aren't even full citizens of the country! A "Sports Passport" FFS! It's like an unalignement of the stars always has to occur for the #CanMNT.

The thought of no competitive matches of importance (I'm not counting the Gold Cup or Nations League) until 2026 is depressing.

22 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Better to have this paranoia than Kurt Larson's boundless optimism.

As @BuzzAndSting said, I'm definitely a little 'stitious.

I've had a bad inkling since the draw was made (which is why I made the other thread) and have felt rather pessimistic ever since FIFA gave The Natio the green light to recruit any player using the Sports Passport. They aren't even full citizens of the country! A "Sports Passport" FFS! It's like an unalignement of the stars always has to occur for the #CanMNT.

The thought of no competitive matches of importance (I'm not counting the Gold Cup or Nations League) until 2026 is depressing.

The Suriname roster really stretches the idea of nationality. I checked the wiki page and only 7 of the 23 players were born in Suriname. Wouldn't most of the players be able to represent them based on FIFA's eligibility rules (parents or grandparents born somewher) even without the new Sports Passport rules?

4 minutes ago, nazzer said:

The Suriname roster really stretches the idea of nationality. I checked the wiki page and only 7 of the 23 players were born in Suriname. Wouldn't most of the players be able to represent them based on FIFA's eligibility rules (parents or grandparents born somewher) even without the new Sports Passport rules?

No because Suriname doesn't do dual-nationality.

I think Sturing brings us down alot in their eyes. If they follow the Dutch league, as I assume they do, they would know that he comes from one of the worst team in the 2nd division. The fact that he has played 2 of our last 3 games would indicate that is the level of starter we have. Even if we went Cornelius or Miller at CB, despite the fact they don't rate MLS, there would still be some unknown. Now, they think they know what our CB quality is.

Our boys need to see this game as an opportunity, because the intensity that Suriname will likely bring out tomorrow is the same that our play off opponent will bring (if we take care of business tomorrow), and it will be the level that they will need to consistently play at in El Ocho if they hope to make a World Cup. The truth is that World Cup qualification proper begins for us tomorrow, this is it, if they want to hang with the big boys they need to treat tomorrow like a final, and play with the intensity and tenacity of a final. No excuses.

Edited by LeoH037

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I think Sturing brings us down alot in their eyes. If they follow the Dutch league, as I assume they do, they would know that he comes from one of the worst team in the 2nd division. The fact that he has played 2 of our last 3 games would indicate that is the level of starter we have. Even if we went Cornelius or Miller at CB, despite the fact they don't rate MLS, there would still be some unknown. Now, they think they know what our CB quality is.

True but he won't be playing this game. Herdman left his A-team for this one.