WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

Not to derail the thread, but honestly I've been wondering if there is any suspicious betting going on. Like look at the Panama results. They can only muster a 1-0 win against Barbados and 2-1 against Dominica? Sounds to me like someone wanted to make money on the "under" (sorry, I'm not a better, I don't know the terminology and I'm sure that is totally wrong). Then all of a sudden they are able to pour it on with a 13-0 win? I don't know if the T&T players would have been on the take for their shocking draw, but those Panama results in particular look suspicious to me.

I think teams didn't originally realize the importance of goal difference.

Canada probably woke up the other teams when we smashed Caymans.

13 hours ago, Atlantic said:

If we’re that scared about Becker we might as well pack it up and go home if we advance to the Octo because there are much better players to worry about. He is no doubt a solid player who if we play terrible can cause us many problems but if the players and tactics are working there’s no reason he cannot be shut down. 

Its not soo much being afraid of Becker.  

We're good on paper and individually, we know that, but we haven't yet shown it regularly vs serious opposition.  We were favorites vs Haiti, and we saw what happened there.  That was par for the course when it comes to CANMNT.  We also need to consider we've played no friendlies.  I'd be a lot more comfortable going into this game and next round with a bit more familiarity and experience among the 11 and especially at CB.  We'll get better every game we play, crashing out early would be a huge missed opportunity.  The most important thing here is to keep playing regularly. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

I think teams didn't originally realize the importance of goal difference.

Canada probably woke up the other teams when we smashed Caymans.

Panama shouldn't have to be focused on GD to beat Barbados by more than a goal. I don't care how much we think they have regressed, it really shouldn't be THAT much. Remember that we smashed Caymans with mostly our subs. Panama should be able to win that game by at least 3 or 4 if they are just going through the motions, I would think. It seems suspicious to me, but I didn't see the game and I'm not an expert on match fixing.

I know we would probably all prefer to face a minnow tonight but there are the types of high-pressure must win situations that will make us better off in the long-run (assuming we win of course). If we get to the Octagonal having defeated quality opponents like Suriname and Haiti in these crucial matches we'll be much better prepared to competition in the Octagonal

As for the actual topic of this thread, honestly it sounds silly but I've been l a lot less nervous since the Aruba match. I know beating Aruba has nothing to do with beating Suriname, but there was something about subbing on David, Davies, and Larin and having them just dominate that put me at ease. Suriname will be tough, but we've got some great talent and as has been mentioned, they are battle tested with their clubs.

I reserve the right to get more nervous when the game gets closer though.

Just now, Pottsy3 said:

ouch I'm glad I checked, I guess mine did as well

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

I just checked and I did! WTF.

Looks like if you signed up for the collective your membership ends today even though really it should end at some point in August.

21 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

No tickets. Officially closed but if you're in Chicago, try and contact someone from the CSA. They might let you in.

Sadly not in Chicago, was just curious if there would be any fans.

I'm nervous as hell but that is the same for every important match we play, there have been some epic failures in my many years supporting this team and no matter how hard I try to convince myself things are different now I still dwell on the past! Even though I am nervous like everyone here this is a chance to really start to change the culture of this program and alleviate the fears of old pessimists like me, we should get the job done, if we don't this board is going to explode!😀

Just now, VinceA said:

Looks like if you signed up for the collective your membership ends today even though really it should end at some point in August.

I haven't really looked into this, but have we confirmed that CPL 2021 memberships didn't include OneSoccer?

1 minute ago, VinceA said:

My only hope is that this is just some mid-day tweaking they're doing to fix the bugs from the Aruba game. I'm happy to support Canadian soccer, no need to bend me over and gouge me.