WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

9 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Becker is an elite talent. His speed and skill will be a problem for us.  He is dangerous on the left and right and often switches wings during the game.  He is their key threat going forward.  Matching him up with Adekugbe or Johnston would be asking for trouble.  Becker has the quality to destroy a player like Johnston and Adekugbe 1v1.  They are simply not at his level.  If one of Adekugbe or Johnston plays, they will get targeted just as Haiti did Godinho.   

I now expect Davies at LB and Laryea at RB.    

We’ll be fine. Half the issue with Haiti was we didn’t hard enough and that gave them time and space to play bald over the top. If we forced them into the midfield, I’m certain we would have won that game.

As a side note, I don’t think Laryea’s defending is as strong as people are making it out to be. He on occasion gets out of position and relies on his speed to recover. Also, he sometimes lunges in and doesn’t jockey when appropriate. It doesn’t burn him often in MLS but against a quality opponent, it might prove an issue, especially with our CB situation in the middle.

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

If Herdman's "split squad / resting Suriname starters against Aruba" is to be believed, we will probably line up like this:

Larin --- David --- Corbeanu

Osorio --- Eustaquio --- Piette

Davies --- Kennedy --- Henry --- Laryea

Borjan

I like it, but I am not convinced Corbeanu is good enough to go up against a player like Haps. I would consider putting Buchanan in there. You lose the prospect of bringing him on to make an impact, but Miller could fill that role. 

I really like Corbeanu’s upside, and part of me feels you are right on that, but yeah not sold on Theo from the start.

10 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If Herdman's "split squad / resting Suriname starters against Aruba" is to be believed, we will probably line up like this:

Larin --- David --- Corbeanu

Osorio --- Eustaquio --- Piette

Davies --- Kennedy --- Henry --- Laryea

Borjan

I still don’t buy Johnston sitting both matches though. I think he’d have started against Aruba if they didn’t plan to start him tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Adekugbe yes, but Johnston maybe. He is a very good defending full back, even though he doesn’t have the pace of Laryea, who doesn’t have the pace of Davies. 

Maybe we play Davies at LB though. I mean, it wouldn’t be the worst plan considering we just need a draw. Not suggesting we play for one, but going with Laryea and Davies is the best bet to shut down Becker, regardless of what flank he plays on.

Also, I notice that Becker has a transfer market value of 3 million, but we’ve been talking about him as if he’s Leon Bailey or something. I am going to assume he’s being criminally underrated and should be a +10 million player, since we are talking about putting our own 75 million valued player on the backline to counteract him.

He's not quite as good as Bailey but he is close.  He was injured this year so that hurt his stats.  

His best quality is his speed.  He is damn fast, one of the fastest in the Bundesliga

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/stats/players/top-speed

Only Phonzie and Laryea have the physical tools to keep up with him.  

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

He's not quite as good as Bailey but he is close.  He was injured this year so that hurt his stats.  

His best quality is his speed.  He is damn fast, one of the fastest in the Bundesliga

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/stats/players/top-speed

Only Phonzie and Laryea have the physical tools to keep up with him.  

That's quite the accomplishment, because Bailey is rated at 25M euros and has been the subject of transfer rumors to the likes of Manchester United. Not saying he's nowhere near Bailey, but if he was close like you suggest why does he have such a low market value in your opinion? I know transfermarkt is not always accurate, but that seems like a pretty large gap.

Also, is Becker all pace and not much else, or is there more to his game?

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Laryea shut down Pulisic in the Nations League group stage, so he would hopefully be able to contain Becker. 

Eustaquio should be a hound on his ass and shut down anything coming from him, along with any other play that comes down the flank. 

Edited by Macksam

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That's quite the accomplishment, because Bailey is rated at 25M euros and has been the subject of transfer rumors to the likes of Manchester United. Not saying he's nowhere near Bailey, but if he was close like you suggest why does he have such a low market value in your opinion? I know transfermarkt is not always accurate, but that seems like a pretty large gap.

Also, is Becker all pace and not much else, or is there more to his game?

What, like Tos Ricketts was?  Becker is an Ajax Academy product, of course there's more to his game.  

13 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

What, like Tos Ricketts was?  Becker is an Ajax Academy product, of course there's more to his game.  

Come on, of course I know we aren't talking about a Tos type of player here, with all due respect to him. Obviously if he plays in the Bundesliga he's not comparable to Tos. 

I just meant what are his other qualities? Shooting from distance? Dribbling? Playing in tight space? All of the above?

I am assuming his baseline for all of these is at "Bundesliga" level, but guessing he doesn't excel at any of these beyond that baseline. Bailey by comparison I would say excels at those things, beyond the "Bundesliga" baseline, which is why he's been linked to the EPL. 

Just trying to understand what is behind Becker not being rated higher by Transfermarkt. Perhaps this is one of the instances they are totally out to lunch?

I know Becker is going to be their key attacker, but is he an Alberth Elis level player, or a Leon Bailey/Chucky Lozano level player? I am assuming the former, which still makes him very dangerous. 

Edited by Obinna

From all reports  the coaching staff and players are prepared and up to the task. There is respect for our opponents but not fear. They have Becker...we have Davies, David & Larin. It's been almost 2 years and 18 months since our loss to Haiti and USA away respectively. Our players  have matured and grown, winning  a lot of silverware in Europe this year..with some big game pressure experience. Time to get behind our coach and players. 

Edited by Kadenge

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

From all reports  the coaching staff and players are prepared and up to the task. There is respect for our opponents but not fear. They have Becker...we have Davies, David & Larin. It's been almost 2 years and 18 months since our loss to Haiti and USA away respectively. Our players  have matured and grown, winning  a lot of silverware in Europe this year..with some big game pressure experience. Time to get behind our coach and players. 

I fully expect our team to put the sword to these guys.  Might have to grind it out, but we should get the result we need.

I was just watching a highlight video of Chery from Israel. I know he has a solid resume, but the guy is scoring bangers from distance as recently as this season. Hard to gauge because of the level of play in that league, but let's not kid ourselves, it's not the CPL We need to ensure he doesn't have space to operate from the midfield. 

I do expect our guys to win this game. I am excited and look forward to the upcoming challenge of the Octo if we do. I was just reading on MLS site that Conte would love to come to America and coach.  Would it not be awesome if we move on to the next round to get a manager of the quality of Conte?   I would still keep Herdman in the set up as the mouthpiece of our program, but Conte could help take us to that next level.   Just dreaming, and know with the CSA most likely wouldn’t happen, but one can hope!  Haha 

48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Come on, of course I know we aren't talking about a Tos type of player here, with all due respect to him. Obviously if he plays in the Bundesliga he's not comparable to Tos. 

I just meant what are his other qualities? Shooting from distance? Dribbling? Playing in tight space? All of the above?

I am assuming his baseline for all of these is at "Bundesliga" level, but guessing he doesn't excel at any of these beyond that baseline. Bailey by comparison I would say excels at those things, beyond the "Bundesliga" baseline, which is why he's been linked to the EPL. 

Just trying to understand what is behind Becker not being rated higher by Transfermarkt. Perhaps this is one of the instances they are totally out to lunch?

I know Becker is going to be their key attacker, but is he an Alberth Elis level player, or a Leon Bailey/Chucky Lozano level player? I am assuming the former, which still makes him very dangerous. 

Stats say he helps to produce goals. But not too involved defensively.

Screenshot 2021-06-07 194625.jpg

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Becker is an elite talent. His speed and skill will be a problem for us.  He is dangerous on the left and right and often switches wings during the game.  He is their key threat going forward.  Matching him up with Adekugbe or Johnston would be asking for trouble.  Becker has the quality to destroy a player like Johnston and Adekugbe 1v1.  They are simply not at his level.  If one of Adekugbe or Johnston plays, they will get targeted just as Haiti did Godinho.   

I now expect Davies at LB and Laryea at RB.    

Settle down, Chicken Little.

He's 26 years old with the below career stats...

223 app 26G 38A (15,534 minutes)

Nothing about those stats, although pretty decent for an attacking winger, screams elite. Junior Hoilett has similar numbers on a per game basis, generally playing at a higher level, and has maintained it for a much longer period. Even at his best, we never considered him to be elite, even in CONCACAF terms. Let's just maintain our perspective here. Becker is a very good player, whom we'll have to wary of, but he's not the second coming of Lionel Messi, or even the second coming of (insert any CONCACAF-level star forward).

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Settle down, Chicken Little.

He's 26 years old with the below career stats...

223 app 26G 38A (15,534 minutes)

Nothing about those stats, although pretty decent for an attacking winger, screams elite. Junior Hoilett has similar numbers on a per game basis, generally playing at a higher level, and has maintained it for a much longer period. Even at his best, we never considered him to be elite, even in CONCACAF terms. Let's just maintain our perspective here. Becker is a very good player, whom we'll have to wary of, but he's not the second coming of Lionel Messi, or even the second coming of (insert any CONCACAF-level star forward).

Unsure why you're telling me to settle down given we seem to be in agreement on Becker as a player.  He's their danger man and we'll need to deal with him, and I have every expectation that we will.

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

If only we had a player who made THE FIFA WORLD STARTING 11

Or who was instrumental in their team winning Ligue 1...or the Turkish league...

When it comes to the CMNT, I am generally pessimistic.  But some of the comments here are over the top.  Suriname is a good Caribbean team, that's it.  I'm sure the fans of no other team with serious expectations of making it to the Oct would be this worried. 

I think you can tell A LOT about people with how they answer two simple questions.

1).  In your experience which would you describe as better.  "Make up" sex or "Break up" sex?

2).  In your experience which would you describe as better.  "Pre game angst" or "Post match analysis" ?

Taken in the context of this topic... DISCUSS!