WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

30 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

The other side of that is that Davies is our best defender in addition to being our best attacker.

Lots of players have had the “Davies Flu” in the last few years and when Bayern has a tough game they play him a bit tighter defensively to ensure they give up no goals.    He really is a dominant defender as well.

I don’t know if he’s a dominant defender per say...it’s his closing down abilities, his pace that allow him to be so effective for a team that usually has 75% of the possession.

Angel Di maria...kind of exposed his standup 1v1. 

My only thing with Davies at LB is that it might create the holes on the counter that he will cause from going forward, which could put our back line under pressure (as we seen vs the USA - albeit the competition)

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I know he played last night but I think I would be more comfortable with Wotherspoon in the midfield over Osorio who is returning from injury and has not played any significant minutes with TFC!

As much as I like Osorios game....couldn’t disagree with this. Wotherspoon has been playing sharp. I hope Osorio if anything is at least 90% fit/ready.  

The midfield formation really intrigues me - obviously Piette and Eustaqiuo are starting. A healthy and inform Osorio fits will there but I don’t believe he’s either of those right now. So MAK is next best option but it seems that since he played against Aruba he’s not in the plan for Suriname ?

as an aside - this is precisely why the Arfield and Atiba absences hurt.

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

as an aside - this is precisely why the Arfield and Atiba absences hurt.

I don’t think it hurts, it just would be “better” if they were there in regards to squad rotation. 

But Kaye, Wotherspoon, or Osorio are great options to paired with Stacks and Piette. That’s still a strong middle imo. 

CB is the concerning place for me this game. With the potential of a new CB pairing in Kennedy and Henry, with the bag of mixed nuts that is Borjan. I pray we don’t have no brain farts or miscommunications in the back line.

24 minutes ago, gator said:

I know he played last night but I think I would be more comfortable with Wotherspoon in the midfield over Osorio who is returning from injury and has not played any significant minutes with TFC!

Thought he did well.  Really the wrong match to use as a reference for pretty much anything but have an open mind about giving it a try.

43 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Thought he did well.  Really the wrong match to use as a reference for pretty much anything but have an open mind about giving it a try.

I am basing my opinion moreso on what I saw David do in the heat of two Scottish Cup finals, he has linked up play well vs the minnows though!

2 hours ago, apbsmith said:

Oops, my bad thought it was Orlando not Bradenton for some reason. Looks like I had a few too many last night while enjoying watching our lads.

When the squad arrived in Florida, they were actually training at the OMNI Orlando (where they held the "MLS is back tournament" last summer). However, the match vs Aruba itself was in Bradenton.

I think Herdman needs to pull out a version of Robert Duvall in Colors: "There's a baby bull sitting on a hill with a papa bull overlooking a field of cows. The baby bull says 'Pop, let's run down there and fuck one of them cows.' The papa bull says 'No, son, let's walk down there and fuck them all."

We are through on a draw. I gotta think Suriname will sit back for the first half and see what they can do on the counter. Davies at LB will help rein in some of that youthful exuberance. I hope we see Vitoria, Wotherspoon and Cavs in the 11 for at least the first 60 -assuming they have the legs for it.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone

Play Davies as a forward! Everytime he got the ball he does what he likes. I dont care what league these Suriname journeymen play in, Davies will roast his defender and when the next guy steps to him you'll have an open David, Larin, Cavallini. We'll score first guarantee. If he plays defense  the 0-0 will drag on and then anything can happen 

Edited by SpursFlu

7 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Their fullbacks are a considerable step up from anything we've faced lately. The wings aren't bad either. Davies will need to be our best player, but will also need to be patient. We hold all the cards.

Suriname is a considerable step down from anyone Alphonso Davies has faced lately. Especially in his day to day training 

I say drop the hammer on these schlubs 

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think it’s pretty clear that Herdman is going with Laryea at LB and Johnston at RB Tuesday if you read between the lines. 
It’s clear he plans to start both or he would have started the odd man out last night or at least would have brought them on for Hoilett.

That’s what I’m thinking too … especially since, if AD we’re playing at LB, who would be our starting front 3?  David, Larin, and ???.  I think it will be Davies joining them up front …

Edited by Addona

12 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think it’s pretty clear that Herdman is going with Laryea at LB and Johnston at RB Tuesday if you read between the lines. 
It’s clear he plans to start both or he would have started the odd man out last night or at least would have brought them on for Hoilett.

I think this is probably right although I’m not necessarily that pleased since Laryea is not nearly as effective on the left side IMO

43 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Yeah I think it’s almost a certainty they both start. Only other situation I think could happen is Johnston at RB, Davies at LB, Laryea on a win. I’d prefer Davies further up the field though, so I’d prefer Laryea at LB.

40 minutes ago, Addona said:

That’s what I’m thinking too … especially since, if AD we’re playing at LB, who would be our starting front 3?  David, Larin, and ???.  I think it will be Davies joining them up front …

Corbeanu didn’t start so he’d be my guess. Or could be 4-4-2 with Larin/David up front and Corbeanu/Laryea on the wings.

Considering the whole narrative around the starters for Suriname sitting versus Aruba, I assume this was the lineup that Herdman intended to use vs Suriname.

Davies - Larin - Corbeanu
                        David
                Piette - Eustaquio
Laryea - Kennedy - Henry - Johnston
                       Borjan

I would not be surprised if this lineup has changed due to possible injuries (ie. Henry) or performances in the first match

I wonder if Davies at forward helps the psychology of the entire team. As in teammates thinking: "Yes we got Davies playing on the wing.. we're gonna score some goals here!" vs. "Coach put him at LB so must mean he's worried we'll get scored on.. better be more careful/cautious.."

That'd be my reaction. But maybe that's why I'm not a pro soccer player! 🧐

Edited by saintjoes

13 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

Considering the whole narrative around the starters for Suriname sitting versus Aruba, I assume this was the lineup that Herdman intended to use vs Suriname.

Davies - Larin - Corbeanu
                        David
                Piette - Eustaquio
Laryea - Kennedy - Henry - Johnston
                       Borjan

I would not be surprised if this lineup has changed due to possible injuries (ie. Henry) or performances in the first match

I don’t see Corbeanu as a starter..think larin would be on the wing there with David up top

Based on what we’ve learnt about squad rotation I think this is how we line up:

Personally I’d be way more comfortable with Adekugbe at his natural LB and Laryea at his natural RB for such a big game, not sure that’s going to happen though.

as noted before it’s going to be a gamble throwing Kennedy at LCB for his first cap in such a big game, think he’s capable though and his pace will be a bonus.

Larin wide because Herdman is talking about wanting to hide his tactics, I feel like our lineup is pretty obvious on paper so this would really be the only out of the ordinary thing that maybe would throw Suriname for a loop, specially since he was subbed in as a ST vs Aruba. Laryea at LB might also throw them off.

And obviously, if Henry is hurt, Vitoria in.

C87309DB-FD0A-45DD-AB27-C2473603C921.jpeg

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

5 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is the one thing I am unsure about.  Normally I agree that Phonzie is better employed further up as an attacking player, but if we anticipate Suriname trying to hit us on the counter (and if they have one of the fastest guys in Bundesliga to do it) I wonder if keeping him at LB for this game makes sense.  

I know he had a big impact as an attacker last night, and maybe it is better to give their defence and mids a whole lot more to worry about, but a part of me thinks that his speed and experience in defence may be the best spot for this one game where we advance if we don’t concede a goal.  

The problem is simply that you can't keep Alphonso back and not ask him to attack. Vs the US in that second game he was a disaster, quite frankly, as he flew out of position and left us exposed.

So don't even bother, that is the way I see it. Let the guys on the back line stay back, with no added pressure to attack, and let the attackers do their business without having to be the ones holding down a defensive position.

22 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Could have been a lot worse on who Suriname potentially had to draw from if they had been quicker to allow dual nationality for people in their diaspora that want to represent them in sport:

5ebcd6e44fe20.jpg

Assuming all goes well this time I think the concern would be that over the next few years this propels them to Jamaica sort of levels in ranking terms making it more difficult for the CMNT to become a fixture in the top tier of CONCACAF teams.

Luckily with the World Cup changing to 48 teams there are 6 automatiac CONCACAF spots.

12 minutes ago, Hawkguy said:

Hoping the onesoccer stream isn't so shit on Tuesday. 

Not confident in them though considering they have completely ignored how poor their service was last night.

I saw a tweet where Wheeler apologized for the technical difficulties!

2 minutes ago, gator said:

I saw a tweet where Wheeler apologized for the technical difficulties!

Fair enough. I'm not looking for a refund or anything. I still like supporting the only option we have. I just wish they would have released a more public statement apologizing and stating they know about the issues and will work to try to correct them.