WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

@Shway   There isn’t any winger in CONCACAF like Angel Di Mara though.  Also nobody else on our back line could hang with him.  Davies really is our best defender, in addition to being our best attacker.   I’m really on with Laryea at LB though.  We have RB depth as well so our other FB’s are fine.

@N1ckbr0wn  I think your lineup is fine except that Cavalini will definitely be coming off the bench and not starting since he started last night.  So move David up to striker and slide Osorio to AM and I’m reasonably sure that’s the lineup tomorrow or very close to it.

38 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Based on what we’ve learnt about squad rotation I think this is how we line up:

Personally I’d be way more comfortable with Adekugbe at his natural LB and Laryea at his natural RB for such a big game, not sure that’s going to happen though.

as noted before it’s going to be a gamble throwing Kennedy at LCB for his first cap in such a big game, think he’s capable though and his pace will be a bonus.

Larin wide because Herdman is talking about wanting to hide his tactics, I feel like our lineup is pretty obvious on paper so this would really be the only out of the ordinary thing that maybe would throw Suriname for a loop, specially since he was subbed in as a ST vs Aruba. Laryea at LB might also throw them off.

And obviously, if Henry is hurt, Vitoria in.

C87309DB-FD0A-45DD-AB27-C2473603C921.jpeg

I expect exactly this, except maybe David as the #9 and Kaye/Spoon as the #10.

Another thing, I noticed against Bermuda and Aruba Adekugbe usually stayed back and tucked in allowing Davies and Millar to stay high and wide, I wonder if Laryea will be asked to play similarly when we have the ball, though maybe as more of a midfielder than a defender like Adekugbe so Davies can stay wide, which would probably play to AD's strengths. Not sure if this is necessarily the right thing to do, but I think it's a deliberate pattern from Herdman in recent months. And I can see why he would want Laryea in basically the Zinchenko role vs Adekugbe who tbh is probably the worst on-the-ball option we have at fullback

I am going to give an optimistic view on the potential Henry-Kennedy partnership for Tuesday.

1. Both have pace and should be able to snuff out counters or close down balls into the channels. Vitoria isolated in space would not be aconcrrn

2. Both are good in the air. Perhaps not as dominant as Vitoria, but better than Sturing, not that he would play anyway, but still...

3. Both have a lot to prove, which could help them rise to the challenge. 

4. If this was pre determined, they will have gotten plenty of reps together by now, with a specific focus on gelling as soon as possible.

It won't replicate game action, but they have had at least one session against the team we saw last night, by the sounds of it, and honestly going up against Miller-Cavallini-Hoilett in training is excellent prep. 

The plan is logical, I just hope it comes off if that is what we see.

Edited by Obinna

think kennedy would have gotten minutes yesterday if he was to start tuesday..cant see them sending him out for his first game in such a game..with no sign of henry can see herdman going back to sturing-vitoria with davies on the left and brault on the right...kaye eustaquio piette...david cavallini and maybe a small surprise in buchanan..or larin at wing since he did well there in turkey but maybe will start on the bench as a fresh legs cf option in case a goal is needed

15 minutes ago, Big_M said:

think kennedy would have gotten minutes yesterday if he was to start tuesday..cant see them sending him out for his first game in such a game..with no sign of henry can see herdman going back to sturing-vitoria with davies on the left and brault on the right...kaye eustaquio piette...david cavallini and maybe a small surprise in buchanan..or larin at wing since he did well there in turkey but maybe will start on the bench as a fresh legs cf option in case a goal is needed

If this all happens, then that’s some Jedi mind tricks from Herdman by getting the media to hype up the whole 2 separate squads angle. I don’t expect Kaye, Sturing, Buchanan, Cavallini, or ZBG to start. 

Edited by archer21

Can someone please educate me a bit. If the idea holds true that we are doing two separate squads for Aruba and Suriname. Then what for Haiti/Nicaragua? Does the two legged tie against the likely better opponent (Haiti) just get the best 11 run out for both games? how does rotation look 4 days after Suriname?

I would guess that Herdman did this knowing our B team could handle Aruba and then the top team would be ready for Suriname and the games that follow.  I would think there will be a few tweaks due to knocks and tired legs as necessary, but hopefully our studs will be playing the 270 minutes of their national lives and getting us to the Ocho.

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The problem is simply that you can't keep Alphonso back and not ask him to attack. Vs the US in that second game he was a disaster, quite frankly, as he flew out of position and left us exposed.

So don't even bother, that is the way I see it. Let the guys on the back line stay back, with no added pressure to attack, and let the attackers do their business without having to be the ones holding down a defensive position.

That is fair - and probably the most convincing argument to leave him at LW rather than LB.   better to have someone there that stays put and solely focuses on defence.  

47 minutes ago, Big_M said:

ZBG sub was an audible because of JH.  Who knows who was the scheduled sub 5.  Kennedy?

10 hours ago, narduch said:

I guess they are flying to Chicago later today?

Yes 25-30 min of regeneration, recovery and flush out the lactic this AM. 

Followed by a travel later. 

Standard high performance, who ever they got in charge is on point. 

Edited by apbsmith
Wrong information originally

1 hour ago, nazzer said:

Can someone please educate me a bit. If the idea holds true that we are doing two separate squads for Aruba and Suriname. Then what for Haiti/Nicaragua? Does the two legged tie against the likely better opponent (Haiti) just get the best 11 run out for both games? how does rotation look 4 days after Suriname?

I think it’s probably get there first and worry about what’s to come afterwards. Suriname is going to be very tough and all the energy and planning goes into that.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

I think it’s probably get there first and worry about what’s to come afterwards. Suriname is going to be very tough and all the energy and planning goes into that.

Suriname is a much greater threat as its only 1 game, they are a well balanced and professional squad. On paper they have more quality than Honduras and Panama with players featuring in squads from the Bundesliga, Turkey and Eredivisie. While the latter are mostly domestic and MLS these days. Over 2 games Canada is heavy favorites against any of these opponents but a one off at a neutral venue is nerve wracking. 

Can take some comfort in the fact that they haven't looked all that dominant, they beat Bermuda by a good margin but were gifted goals and converted on all their few chances. Against Bermuda Canada had 26 shots  while Suriname had 10ish while playing in front of a home crowd against a weaker Bermuda squad.

Suriname hasn't shown anything like what Canada flexed when they subbed on Davies, David and Larin. It was dominance where the opposition couldn't get the ball passed half. 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Correct...supposed to be home and away.

I have some big concerns about the CB situation.  I just like the idea of having a familiar pairing in there.  I would have preferred the first choice pairing starting against both Aruba and Surinam, and if an injury happens, then it's next man up.  It  just seems like too big a focus on squad rotation  in an area of the pitch where there are some serious question marks for such a crucial one off match.

29 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I have some big concerns about the CB situation.  I just like the idea of having a familiar pairing in there.  I would have preferred the first choice pairing starting against both Aruba and Surinam, and if an injury happens, then it's next man up.  It  just seems like too big a focus on squad rotation  in an area of the pitch where there are some serious question marks for such a crucial one off match.

Agreed. Completely.

11 hours ago, nazzer said:

I assume we will put the "Suriname" team out for the first leg, then since we will be up by 4 or 5 goals after that match we can play the "Aruba" squad in the final leg. At least that's what I'm hoping will happen.