Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I think this is a very fair take that some people on this board who are calling for him to still be in the 11 are ignoring.

To be clear, I am not advocating that he not be part of our starting 11 at this point.  Being a starting CM for Besiktas still puts him among the top group of players.  But I think that we have to be realistic about how long he will be able to continue performing at this level.   I don’t watch enough Besiktas to know if his play is now declining, but he was subbed off today in a losing cause and he has come out in previous games as well.

As George Harrison noted, all things must pass.   

9 hours ago, trc2014 said:

I think this is a very fair take that some people on this board who are calling for him to still be in the 11 are ignoring.

But then there are some calling for Arfield to start 🤷

Ill take the guy who has played more. Respectfully.

On the bench to start the game today and not subbed in as of minute 77.   I could be way off base but this year feels different than previous years.  I am not sure how his minutes this year compare to last year but it seems like he isn’t the mainstay that he used to be.  I wonder if they are starting to look at succession planning in central midfield.  

Subs in for the final 8 minutes.

I'm fine with Atiba having the same role with Canada as he seems to be filling now with Besiktas: coming in late to settle a match, an occasional start if his attributes match up well vs the opponent. I think he's still good enough that he belongs in any 23-27 man roster when healthy.

Hutch does appear to be slowing down. What a pro and what a career. That said, I do think he has a bit left in the tank. The fuel light is on but he's not stalled quite yet. My dream? Fast forward one year, Canada is up 1-0 late in a group stage game at the World Cup. Injury time. Herdman needs a sub to calm things down. Who steps up? One of Canada's all time greats, Atiba Hutchinson. And for the last 5 minutes Hutch - making his World Cup debut - locks down midfield and controls possession the way we've seen him do countless times before.

Canada wins a famous victory. A career ends the way it should.

Dare to dream, right? :)

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Hutch does appear to be slowing down. What a pro and what a career. That said, I do think he has a bit left in the tank. The fuel light is on but he's not stalled quite yet. My dream? Fast forward one year, Canada is up 1-0 late in a group stage game at the World Cup. Injury time. Herdman needs a sub to calm things down. Who steps up? One of Canada's all time greats, Atiba Hutchinson. And for the last 5 minutes Hutch - making his World Cup debut - locks down midfield and controls possession the way we've seen him do countless times before.

Canada wins a famous victory. A career ends the way it should.

Dare to dream, right? :)

It ain't the group stage. It's the final for the World Cup against either Brazil or Italy. Hey man, either go big or go home.

Looking forward to Atiba who can make history over the next week by becoming the most capped Canadian soccer played ever. The Brampton, Ont., native who plays his club soccer for Besiktas in Turkey, has represented his country at the senior level on 88 occasions coming into Edmonton, one behind all-time leader Julian de Guzman.

From that KJ interview, I didn't realize it but if Canada makes it to the World Cup and Atiba gets into a game, he will be the 2nd oldest outfield player in Men's World Cup history! 

Now watch us get to the World Cup, have 2 keepers go down with injury during training, and the one that is in the game gets a red card and Hutch gets subbed in as a keeper, making him like the 9th oldest player (including keepers) to play in a World Cup. Still would be a great story.

10 minutes ago, Kent said:

From that KJ interview, I didn't realize it but if Canada makes it to the World Cup and Atiba gets into a game, he will be the 2nd oldest outfield player in Men's World Cup history! 

Now watch us get to the World Cup, have 2 keepers go down with injury during training, and the one that is in the game gets a red card and Hutch gets subbed in as a keeper, making him like the 9th oldest player (including keepers) to play in a World Cup. Still would be a great story.

The second story would be horrendous...unless you add that he scores from goal, which leads to the game winner and Canada advance to the group stage!

1 hour ago, Shway said:

The second story would be horrendous...unless you add that he scores from goal, which leads to the game winner and Canada advance to the group stage!

I thought it was assumed that he stopped the ensuing penalty from the previous GK's offence, to preserve our 6-0 lead in the final against Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, narduch said:

Larin starting for Besiktas v Dortmund in a meaningless Champions League game.

Atiba is on the bench.

Atiba played the final 10 minutes in what was likely his final UEFA Champions League match of his career.

It's unlikely that Beşiktaş will qualify for 2022-23 and unlikely he can continue his career with them past that point.

A sad way to finish his Champions League career but what a run he has had!