Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Atiba played the final 10 minutes in what was likely his final UEFA Champions League match of his career.

It's unlikely that Beşiktaş will qualify for 2022-23 and unlikely he can continue his career with them past that point.

A sad way to finish his Champions League career but what a run he has had!

I was skipping through most of the game but watched a bit when he came on, I had the same thought about it being his last CL game too unfortunately. It's ok though, he'll have his swan song at the World Cup. :)

10 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Atiba played the final 10 minutes in what was likely his final UEFA Champions League match of his career.

It's unlikely that Beşiktaş will qualify for 2022-23 and unlikely he can continue his career with them past that point.

A sad way to finish his Champions League career but what a run he has had!

If only he had scored that curling effort against Manchester United at Old Trafford! That would have been amazing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2021 at 2:09 AM, ECW said:

Such a beautiful footballer. I always feel lucky to see him play for Canada. Although there are other options now, I’m happy that Herdman has been sticking with him. 

"Atiba Hutchinson committed to playing for Canada his entire career. A pro's pro. His national team career essentially wasted. A damn shame" 

Arash Madani September 2016

15 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

"Atiba Hutchinson committed to playing for Canada his entire career. A pro's pro. His national team career essentially wasted. A damn shame" 

Arash Madani September 2016

This is the same journo who kept referring to NHL analogies when interviewing an annoyed but polite and patient Milos Raonic after a Davis Cup match victory.  Not the first time that he has missed the mark.

The guy is Canadian and yet wrote this crap, but yet is just another clueless mainstream media guy , who only covers soccer if he is forced to cover it. Thankfully there are enough guys now even in mainstream media that understand the game and have an appreciate for the game , it’s not the 1970’s 80’s 90’s anymore where clueless guys like this were our only source of coverage for the most part back in the day.

To be fair, lots of people were saying the same thing in 2016 and before.  Hutchinson was getting praise for being world class, but pitied for having no chance of getting to the World Cup.  No one saw this level of rise in the CMNT at the time.  Picking out Madani as some kind of special loser is revisionist history.

3 minutes ago, rkomar said:

To be fair, lots of people were saying the same thing in 2016 and before.  Hutchinson was getting praise for being world class, but pitied for having no chance of getting to the World Cup.  No one saw this level of rise in the CMNT at the time.  Picking out Madani as some kind of special loser is revisionist history.

Yeah, I feel like this was a pretty popular take then

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

Picking out Madani as some kind of special loser is revisionist history.

Bullshit, I came across that quote when I was researching his (and Rogers) non stop hit pieces on the CFL.  Anyone who knows my posts and those that don't like that I post full articles have been told the main reason I do that is to prevent revisionist history which so many people are guilty of. 

Guys like that (and the mainstream Toronto media is full of them) their biggest wet dream is to eat the free chicken in an NFL press box.  Yes, our NT has had it's share of haters but none were so egregious as that and that's why I saved it. 

The only thing that bothers me is it's the one time I may not have posted the whole article and now I can't find it and of course like most news stories, the links die.

There may have been articles and tweets that our team wasn't very good but to say playing for one's country is a waste of time, no one was saying anything like that in a nationally published article or post.  I have always been suspicious of that guy as Rogers designated CFL "hit man" that I noticed even the CFL PR guy called him out, not once but twice for bias.  That's unheard of, or was until the crazy times we live in now.

5 hours ago, rkomar said:

I call bullshit. 

Giving back to his country, being a loyal soldier of Canada is not a shame and will never be time "essentially wasted".  Maybe the writer expressing his sentiments poorly but being one who's in the written media expressing ones sentiments as poorly as that will send you to the pillory. As it should.

Or he means what he wrote, that players like Hutch and Bale and countless others are as much as chumps.  I think that's unlikey, and I don't think it's being generous forgiving him for a poor turn of phrase as the alternative involves a rant containing volumes of industrial language.  Still... 

I suppose it's one of those things that you either get it or you don't.  Hutch got it, Hargreaves didn't.  That's why one is the one and not the other. 

Wasted time?  What a shame?  That'll gets you a well deserved fu'k off every time.  

7 hours ago, Cheeta said:

I call bullshit. 

Giving back to his country, being a loyal soldier of Canada is not a shame and will never be time "essentially wasted".  Maybe the writer expressing his sentiments poorly but being one who's in the written media expressing ones sentiments as poorly as that will send you to the pillory. As it should.

Or he means what he wrote, that players like Hutch and Bale and countless others are as much as chumps.  I think that's unlikey, and I don't think it's being generous forgiving him for a poor turn of phrase as the alternative involves a rant containing volumes of industrial language.  Still... 

I suppose it's one of those things that you either get it or you don't.  Hutch got it, Hargreaves didn't.  That's why one is the one and not the other. 

Wasted time?  What a shame?  That'll gets you a well deserved fu'k off every time.  

I don't think anyone on here would be arguing with you, but to the average soccer fan living in Canada (aka the types who only watch Prem/UCL etc) who is only now starting to truly understand Canadian soccer, this would be a popular take

Edited by Approve My Account Pls

17 hours ago, rkomar said:

If I'm being honest, I'm pretty sure I said essentially the same thing five years ago.  Not "his national team career essentially wasted", but "our national team wasted the most talented footballer we've ever had".  (All due respect to DeRo, De Guzman, Forrest, Radz, Carl Valentine, Bruce Wilson, etc. 😉)

19 hours ago, rkomar said:

Yes,  My sense is that he is fairly well versed (historically and currently)  on what is is going with the game and our national teams.  Unlike some others out there who have just jumped on the bank wagon in the last three months

19 hours ago, king1010 said:

Madani was on the sidelines in 2012 sweating through his suit as we got pummeled in san pedro sula. Hes good in my books. 

Yeah, he was such a prince that his own colleague back in the day, PTS' Bob McCown told him on air he didn't have to shill for Roger's all the time, implying that it was ok if he actually said what he thought instead of towing the company line. I am paraphrasing from memory but the actual quote is posted somewhere because like the Atiba quote I was shocked McCown said it.