Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

dont know how they have him starting at this level..hes simply a couple steps behind and more prone to mistakes, turnovers and not getting to where he should be to mark or get to players...

He definitely got a lot of negative reviews, and maybe deservedly so. I'm hoping he can find a way to compensate for the energy he's lost... maybe being a little more conservative without the ball.

If he plays today it would be his 300th competitive match for Beşiktaş.

So far he has played:

245 matches in the Süper Lig

39 matches in UEFA competitions

15 Cup / Super Cup matches

http://www.ensonhaber.com/amp/kralspor/futbol/atiba-hutcinson-300-macina-hazirlaniyor

I believe he was 30 years old when he joined the team; 300 matches after age 30 is impressive 😲

On 6/26/2020 at 1:43 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Just re-posting the song they wrote for him for when he reached 200 Süper Lig matches. :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Although I love Atiba- he has slowed down noticeably in the past few years.  Still great to see him but his lower mobility hurts in a 2 man midfield.

That is expected with age, still brings a lot as a season vet to the squad and can still contribute on the field. He has a role with this team and John has to use him right. 

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

Although I love Atiba- he has slowed down noticeably in the past few years.  Still great to see him but his lower mobility hurts in a 2 man midfield.

He isn't a 90 minute player for us any more.

5 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

Looks like Atiba played as a CB again today. I wonder if Herdman might consider using him there if we run into injury issues in upcoming windows. It may actually suit him better at this stage given the decline in his mobility.

That is how they presented the lineup but I didn't watch the match. Was he actually playing at CB?

For the #CanMNT I don't see him playing at CB, I don't rate him there. Herdman tried that at the 2019 Gold Cup, right?

Maybe only if someone gets injured mid-game or if there is a red card.

20 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That is how they presented the lineup but I didn't watch the match. Was he actually playing at CB?

For the #CanMNT I don't see him playing at CB, I don't rate him there. Herdman tried that at the 2019 Gold Cup, right?

Maybe only if someone gets injured mid-game or if there is a red card.

I didn't see the game but watching the highlights he did appear to be playing as the left side CB. He also played as a CB last week for about 50 min after one of the starters came off due to an injury.

I  can't recall if he played as a CB in the Gold Cup. He played there very early in his CMNT career. I think that was largely due to the fact that he was a CB at the U20 world cup where he was selected to the tournament's best XI.

As far as I can tell any decline in his performance has been in the current calendar year. There were a few Besiktas games last fall where he was in absolute beast mode performing as well as I've ever seen him play. His role changed a bit in the second half of the season with Souza playing in front of the back four and Atiba moving further up the pitch. He seemed somewhat less effective after that point. I'm not sure if that was due to playing a different role or if it was just the grind of the season as he was the team leader in minutes played until the final month when he missed a couple of games.

17 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

I didn't see the game but watching the highlights he did appear to be playing as the left side CB. He also played as a CB last week for about 50 min after one of the starters came off due to an injury.

I  can't recall if he played as a CB in the Gold Cup. He played there very early in his CMNT career. I think that was largely due to the fact that he was a CB at the U20 world cup where he was selected to the tournament's best XI.

As far as I can tell any decline in his performance has been in the current calendar year. There were a few Besiktas games last fall where he was in absolute beast mode performing as well as I've ever seen him play. His role changed a bit in the second half of the season with Souza playing in front of the back four and Atiba moving further up the pitch. He seemed somewhat less effective after that point. I'm not sure if that was due to playing a different role or if it was just the grind of the season as he was the team leader in minutes played until the final month when he missed a couple of games.

I remember he played CB for us in 2019 (we were that desperate), and frankly he was not good.  I mean great on the ball, but just way too slow to play a high line, and I recall he was burned quite badly at least twice.  Would need to pair him accordingly.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

Both Larin and Atiba are out of the Champions League match vs Ajax on Tuesday based on the above...not sure we see either in the next window if thats the case

https://bjk.com.tr/tr/haber/81756

Some kind of pain in the back of his right thigh. Went for an MRI.

Not looking good... :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 12:38 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Reminder: Assuming he plays in 2 out of the 3 matches during the next window, he will claim the caps record from De Guzman.

Guess now we are going to have to wait til at least November to surprise JDG for the all time cap record. 

• 3 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see how his the rest of this season goes.  It may be totally unwarranted but I wonder if we are seeing the beginning of the end for his playing days.  It seems like he has been out a bit more this campaign, and there were games for us where he looked either out of step with the rest of the team or just off the pace.  Both may just be circumstances - a few minor injuries keeping him out and less time with the group to gel with the system of play.  But we have a very young and fast/energetic team so I wonder if that will impact Hutch’s effectiveness for us.  And yes, I know this borders on blasphemy, but time is ultimately inevitable.  

It would be almost criminal if we made it to Qatar and after years and years of loyal service, time ended up greatly diminishing his role there.  

Hopefully I am just being dramatic.  

On 10/29/2021 at 1:58 PM, dyslexic nam said:

It will be interesting to see how his the rest of this season goes.  It may be totally unwarranted but I wonder if we are seeing the beginning of the end for his playing days.  It seems like he has been out a bit more this campaign, and there were games for us where he looked either out of step with the rest of the team or just off the pace.  Both may just be circumstances - a few minor injuries keeping him out and less time with the group to gel with the system of play.  But we have a very young and fast/energetic team so I wonder if that will impact Hutch’s effectiveness for us.  And yes, I know this borders on blasphemy, but time is ultimately inevitable.  

It would be almost criminal if we made it to Qatar and after years and years of loyal service, time ended up greatly diminishing his role there.  

Hopefully I am just being dramatic.  

I think this is a very fair take that some people on this board who are calling for him to still be in the 11 are ignoring.