Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

Someone has to say it right to Nef's face: don't destabilise the national team with unfounded rumours right before an important international match. 

I like his podcast and think he's smart, but to do that kind of half-assed rumour to get more followers or whatever the reason in the face of a crucial window is like tossing a bomb under the team. We don't need it. The ambience matters. Hutch does not need to have Hume asking him about such garbage the day before a Honduras away match.

Fans can say what we want, the press has to be a bit judicious. If they want to talk about past results down there, perfectly justified, we have to own that stuff anyways and it is part of what we are playing against. It is fair. Other stuff is not.

Just now, Unnamed Trialist said:

Someone has to say it right to Nef's face: don't destabilise the national team with unfounded rumours right before an important international match. 

I like his podcast and think he's smart, but to do that kind of half-assed rumour to get more followers or whatever the reason in the face of a crucial window is like tossing a bomb under the team. We don't need it. The ambience matters. Hutch does not need to have Hume asking him about such garbage the day before a Honduras away match.

Fans can say what we want, the press has to be a bit judicious. If they want to talk about past results down there, perfectly justified, we have to own that stuff anyways and it is part of what we are playing against. It is fair. Other stuff is not.

Holy hysteria - "like tossing a bomb under the team".

Atiba has been playing high pressure football for nearly 20 years. I'm sure being asked about an unfounded rumour is really weighing on him and the rest of the squad. None of our players have ever been linked in a BS rumour before. /s

29 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I want to see Hutchinson remain in Turkey until the World Cup.

That said, you can't possibly be serious to use the word "destabilize". Do you really believe Hutchinson would let such a rumour distract him, let alone "destabilize" the team? You got to be kidding me here.

This team has an iron clad mentality, they aren't going to be put off by that, nor is Hutchinson. 

Just now, Obinna said:

That said, you can't possibly be serious to use the word "destabilize". Do you really believe Hutchinson would let such a rumour distract him, let alone "destabilize" the team? You got to be kidding me here.

This team has an iron clad mentality, they aren't going to be put off by that, nor is Hutchinson. 

If you think distractions are not part of football, you simply have not followed national or club football. They always have been, and in fact players and managers will constantly tell you so. Most NT managers, for example, don't want their players answering questions about their clubs or contracts, about their families back home, when on a NT call-up. Many prohibit it. Why is that?

I would prefer to have nasty, shit disturbing press most weeks of the year, which we don't. We have journalists like at OneSoccer who always ask "Tell us how thrilled you are to...." and the like. Nauseating. Except in certain moments where feel-good makes sense. Like game day. 

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you think distractions are not part of football, you simply have not followed national or club football. They always have been, and in fact players and managers will constantly tell you so. Most NT managers, for example, don't want their players answering questions about their clubs or contracts, about their families back home, when on a NT call-up. Many prohibit it. Why is that?

I would prefer to have nasty, shit disturbing press most weeks of the year, which we don't. We have journalists like at OneSoccer who always ask "Tell us how thrilled you are to...." and the like. Nauseating. Except in certain moments where feel-good makes sense. Like game day. 

If you have an axe to grind against Nef, then fine I get it, but you're making a very outlandish claim here that questions the mentality of our team, which is very disrespectful considering the multiple hurdles this team has cleared.

I don't think you realize what you are saying based on your response.

I am not saying such things can't distract players or teams. I am saying this particular thing won't distract Hutchinson and Canada. Whether you meant it or not, that's just a bad take from you man. 

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

If you have an axe to grind against Nef, then fine I get it, but you're making a very outlandish claim here that questions the mentality of our team, which is very disrespectful considering the multiple hurdles this team has cleared.

I am not saying such things can't distract players or teams. I am saying this particular thing won't distract Hutchinson and Canada. Whether you meant it or not, that's just a bad take from you man. 

Why don't you just direct your comments directly to Hume, or I will: hey Humey, if you have an axe to grind with Nef, daring to call him out, that is a very bad take. Stop being so outlandish.

Is that what you wanted to say, more or less?

Look @Obinna, what you or I post does not matter, we are just fans shooting the shit. But Nef, who is a paid journalist, doing that on a game day, is garbage, because it got back to a player who should be able to be focused on something else.  And there is a reason Hume thought so too. How many times has Hume intervened like that? Almost never.  He did it because he also thought is was so far out of line it needed to be immediately closed down. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Let's just imagine how this imaginary scenario would play out:

- Hutchinson hears about rumour, infuriated he kicks a garbage can across the room that hits Buchanan in the head whilst he shouts "why would I ever play for Toronto?!"

- Osorio and Laryea hear this and immediately challenge Atiba.

- CF Montreal players jump in to back up Atiba.

Immediately the team is split and stops talking to one another. 

In reality, what Nef posts doesn't matter. No one cares. Players, like all of us, have real life problems that are 1000x more distracting than a rumour from a journalist. 

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

My guess is that Atiba wants to retire after the World Cup.

Playing in MLS would set up perfectly for that. He wouldn't have to retire mid season.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I like their podcast too but both guys often make factual mistakes that sometimes irk me a bit. Like on the last one Galindo stated Canada will be playing in the Honduras heat tonight. But it will be a nice 23 C at game time.

Plus Nef seriously needs some more English lessons as he often makes grammatical errors that are too hard to let slide.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I want Hutch to play wherever he thinks he can play the most and be prepared for the World Cup. Besiktas may not give him that. He won't play in the summer and he may not get much or any playing time in the fall. In Toronto him and Bradley could rotate with Priso and Okello and get decent playing time between MLS regular season and Canadian Championship games and maybe even a 2020 Canadian Championship final game.

I think the person taking the biggest L here is Nef😂 Not Atiba, not Humey, and not the national team. He just got called out by a former and very relevant NT player infront of the entire national team supporters… THAT is probably the worst thing to come out of this. Honestly, he Probably was right to have left that rumour alone, but not for reasons of “destabilizing the NT before important games” lol

46 minutes ago, narduch said:

I like their podcast too but both guys often make factual mistakes that sometimes irk me a bit. Like on the last one Galindo stated Canada will be playing in the Honduras heat tonight. But it will be a nice 23 C at game time.

Plus Nef seriously needs some more English lessons as he often makes grammatical errors that are too hard to let slide.

Meh, it's fine. Osorio does the same thing I have noticed. It's just a consequence of being bilingual. Saying he needs English lessons is pretty harsh, if not completely disrespectful. 

People have been called Xenophobic for not letting such things slide, you know.  

59 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why don't you just direct your comments directly to Hume, or I will: hey Humey, if you have an axe to grind with Nef, daring to call him out, that is a very bad take. Stop being so outlandish.

Is that what you wanted to say, more or less?

Look @Obinna, what you or I post does not matter, we are just fans shooting the shit. But Nef, who is a paid journalist, doing that on a game day, is garbage, because it got back to a player who should be able to be focused on something else.  And there is a reason Hume thought so too. How many times has Hume intervened like that? Almost never.  He did it because he also thought is was so far out of line it needed to be immediately closed down. 

I think Humey and Nef are just doing the same thing you and I are, which is talking past each other.

2 minutes ago, OhCanadaOhBaby said:

I think the person taking the biggest L here is Nef😂 Not Atiba, not Humey, and not the national team. He just got called out by a former and very relevant NT player infront of the entire national team supporters… THAT is probably the worst thing to come out of this. Honestly, he Probably was right to have left that rumour alone, but not for reasons of “destabilizing the NT before important games” lol

That's not calling Nef out. That's Humey and Nef caught up in a misunderstanding.

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Let's just imagine how this imaginary scenario would play out:

- Hutchinson hears about rumour, infuriated he kicks a garbage can across the room that hits Buchanan in the head whilst he shouts "why would I ever play for Toronto?!"

- Osorio and Laryea hear this and immediately challenge Atiba.

- CF Montreal players jump in to back up Atiba.

Immediately the team is split and stops talking to one another. 

In reality, what Nef posts doesn't matter. No one cares. Players, like all of us, have real life problems that are 1000x more distracting than a rumour from a journalist. 

While that's a fine little melodrama you've worked out, you have forgotten the other side of the equation:

If there's one thing we've learned, we know that Besiktas fans can be a little "exuberant".  They've latched on to OneSoccer highlights and blown them up.  What's to stop them from taking Nef's shot in the dark and passing it around?  Don't think any fan of any team would be happy to hear that a team legend is moving on without even considering staying on in a coaching role.  Nef's just increased the chances of Hutch having to answer a few questions from some fans, or worse yet, Turkish media asking about his future over the course of these three games.  And that's not something that is needed right now.  That might be what @Unnamed Trialist was referring to.

13 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

I want Hutch to play wherever he thinks he can play the most and be prepared for the World Cup. Besiktas may not give him that. He won't play in the summer and he may not get much or any playing time in the fall. In Toronto him and Bradley could rotate with Priso and Okello and get decent playing time between MLS regular season and Canadian Championship games and maybe even a 2020 Canadian Championship final game.

For sure. I don't want him at Besiktas come hell or high water. I am just expecting that Besiktas is going to be the best place for him to prepare. It's the club he's known since 2013. Changing clubs ahead of a World Cup is a game of risk/reward and unless there's an indication he won't be featuring at Besiktas there's no reason to move. 

8 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

While that's a fine little melodrama you've worked out, you have forgotten the other side of the equation:

If there's one thing we've learned, we know that Besiktas fans can be a little "exuberant".  They've latched on to OneSoccer highlights and blown them up.  What's to stop them from taking Nef's shot in the dark and passing it around?  Don't think any fan of any team would be happy to hear that a team legend is moving on without even considering staying on in a coaching role.  Nef's just increased the chances of Hutch having to answer a few questions from some fans, or worse yet, Turkish media asking about his future over the course of these three games.  And that's not something that is needed right now.  That might be what @Unnamed Trialist was referring to.

This is a giant reach in my opinion. You are just playing the "who's to say" game here... 

Who's to say the Besiktas fans haven't already heard the rumour and aren't fussed, since the source is based in Turkey?

Who's to say the Besiktas fans won't give Hutchinson the benefit of the doubt because he's a club legend?

Who's to say Hutchinson won't immediately return to Besiktas after retirement to coach?

I don't love or hate the timing of this rumor, I just don't think it matters as much as we are pretending. I feel we are making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Edited by Obinna

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a giant reach in my opinion. You are just playing the "who's to say" game here... 

Who's to say the Besiktas fans haven't already heard the rumour and aren't fussed, since the source is based in Turkey?

Who's to say the Besiktas fans won't give Hutchinson the benefit of the doubt because he's a club legend?

Who's to say Hutchinson won't immediately return to Besiktas after retirement to coach?

I don't love or hate the timing of this rumor, I just don't think it matters as much as we are pretending. I feel we are making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Yeah, you're probably right.  I've just seen how they get carried away on twitter and hope this flies under the radar.