Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

9 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Quite possibly the game that see him surpass De Guzman will be at BMO, Oct. 13th.

The real reason why the Octopus chose to sit out the run of fixtures played outside Canada, without fans? Can anyone begrudge him becoming the all-time caps leader in front of his whole family and dozens of friends in front of a hometown crowd? 🙂 

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Besides wanting to play in the World Cup to cap off his career.  I think that Atiba really wants to be the first player for the CMNT to reach the century club for caps.

I find it really quite something that it would take this long for someone to reach 100 caps for Canada. JDG as of today is the only person with 90 caps. 

45 minutes ago, Cblake said:

I find it really quite something that it would take this long for someone to reach 100 caps for Canada. JDG as of today is the only person with 90 caps. 

We don’t play any games- most teams play like 10-20 friendlies a year plus major tournaments. 

JDG slammed the CSA in an article about this when he played. 

Edited by SpecialK

3 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

We don’t play any games- most teams play like 10-20 friendlies a year plus major tournaments. 

JDG slammed the CSA in an article about this when he played. 

I agree with the JDG, Canada has simply not played games. The US for instances has 17 players with 100 caps, all who have played since 1990. 

16 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Besides wanting to play in the World Cup to cap off his career.  I think that Atiba really wants to be the first player for the CMNT to reach the century club for caps.

He actually doesn't want the record that badly. He was very nonchalant when asked about it back in March but I am sure he will be pleased.

I think some of us want him to break the caps record more than he does! :D

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Covid related?

Unless she's not vaccinated and is forced to undergo the 2 week quarantine, but then she also would've known about that since that's been the case for over a year now. Maybe she got a non-Canada approved vaccine in Turkey (Sinovac or Sputnik) and Customs and Border forced her to undergo a quarantine? But honestly that's also something if you try to come back they spell out in pretty big letters in the ArriveCan app so I would be surprised if she missed that. So I really just think this is some family drama she arrived back for and she can't wait to leave it all behind when she goes back to Turkey. 

50 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He actually doesn't want the record that badly. He was very nonchalant when asked about it back in March but I am sure he will be pleased.

I think some of us want him to break the caps record more than he does! :D

if he wanted it that badly he could have it now.  All it would have taken was a commitment to the gold cup.  He could have taken it easy, worked out with the guys and gotten 2 sub appearances.  But its all good, I love that he is humble and low key about the record, that so fits his personality.  He prob knows deep down he is going to play another 3 years so its all a moot point, he is playing the long game, thinking about cracking 100. 

I love Hutch, (how can you not) but I'm not sure I'd want him in our starting XI for non-USA away matches. The quality is still clearly there but he looks well off the pace on defence. Leadership goes a long way and that's a huge factor to who you trot out there but just looking at the play on the field, I'd probably take MAK over him. 

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion so just note. I still see Atiba as a top 4 midfielder for us right now despite his age. Just don't want to turn a blind eye to the lack of pace because of what he's done for Soccer in this country.

12 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion so just note. I still see Atiba as a top 4 midfielder for us right now despite his age. Just don't want to turn a blind eye to the lack of pace because of what he's done for Soccer in this country.

I'm an old timer and I agree with you.

He certainly wasn't a good fit for the 2 man midfield JH played in the Honduras match and made some uncharacteristically bad passes, when he came in vs the US he had a great settling affect on the match and I thought he played very well on Wednesday night vs ES! He is obviously a Canadian legend and I have so much enjoyed seeing him play with class, intelligence and skill over the years, like any player he needs to be in a position he is best suited to!

Watching Dortmund v Beşiktaş 

Atiba covered a load of ground and I thought got better as the game progressed. He did indeed have a few sloppy and careless passes (especially in the first half), but as did many Beşiktaş players. 

Felt he really grew into the match though and demanded the ball. He also found himself quite high up the pitch alongside Batshuayi on many occasions. Once made a magnificent run and took down a difficult ball, only to lose his footing a bit as the defender recovered. 

Unbelievable that he’s doing this at 38 years young.