Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

25 minutes ago, El Diego said:

What's wrong with the Arash quotation? He is lamenting the fact that Atiba's national team career was wasted and his ability was never fully appreciated. Not wasted by Atiba, but wasted by those around him. And if we qualify for Qatar, that remains true to a degree -- he still deserved more.

Who never appreciated his ability?  He was appreciated enough that he was called up as a skinny teenager and never looked back.  So playing for your country is a waste, if your country isn't good.  Thank God for George Best and George Weah.  Lord, give me strength, the next thing I'll be reading will be that that the Ho playing for England would be the best thing to happen to Canada.  Yes, some people actually posted that at the time, some of whom should have known better.

2 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Who never appreciated his ability?  He was appreciated enough that he was called up as a skinny teenager and never looked back.  So playing for your country is a waste, if your country isn't good.  Thank God for George Best and George Weah.  Lord, give me strength, the next thing I'll be reading will be that that the Ho playing for England would be the best thing to happen to Canada.  Yes, some people actually posted that at the time, some of whom should have known better.

We're taking this two completely different ways. My reading is that he wasn't appreciated by the general Canadian public enough. No part says playing for your country is a waste, just that the Canadian national team wasted the abilities of Atiba by not producing more players/results around him.

4 hours ago, El Diego said:

What's wrong with the Arash quotation? He is lamenting the fact that Atiba's national team career was wasted and his ability was never fully appreciated. Not wasted by Atiba, but wasted by those around him. And if we qualify for Qatar, that remains true to a degree -- he still deserved more.

Maybe I am wrong but that is not how I read that quote.  The first sentence seems to tee it up like some regrettable decision.   Just my $0.02

4 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Yeah, he was such a prince that his own colleague back in the day, PTS' Bob McCown told him on air he didn't have to shill for Roger's all the time, implying that it was ok if he actually said what he thought instead of towing the company line. I am paraphrasing from memory but the actual quote is posted somewhere because like the Atiba quote I was shocked McCown said it.

Joe come on, the only reason you hate Madani is because he talks trash about the CFL all day every day on twitter which I agree is annoying. 

But hee was there in San Pedro Sula, he isn't some reporter jumping on the CAMNT bandwagon. 

53 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Joe come on, the only reason you hate Madani is because he talks trash about the CFL all day every day on twitter which I agree is annoying. 

But hee was there in San Pedro Sula, he isn't some reporter jumping on the CAMNT bandwagon. 

First part, true, as I said in my posts.  Not sure what the second part has to do with it.  He can't take a free trip and still say something stupid?  The whole reason I documented what he said was because i was paying close attention to him because of your first sentence, full disclosure.  Same as I pay attention that you will get a like from one guy who if I gave out gold sovereigns he would disagree, all because of my stance on Argos at BMO

Why is the Door's song The Crystal Ship (is sinking) going through my head?

Edit:  Memories are funny things, gang (and don't you hate it when people say, gang)  I always thought part of the lyrics were The Crystal Ship is sinking but that's not the lyric at all or in the song.

Anyway, point is, a lot of guys got Covid, not good.

BTW, haven't heard that song in a long time, cool tune.  The Doors were very distinctive nobody like them before or since.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy

11 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Edit:  Memories are funny things, gang (and don't you hate it when people say, gang)  I always thought part of the lyrics were The Crystal Ship is sinking but that's not the lyric at all or in the song.

BTW, haven't heard that song in a long time, cool tune.  The Doors were very distinctive nobody like them before or since.

Maybe you were thinking of the other Doors song with the word ship in the title.  It may be a more suitable song for this forum or for that matter any internet forum. It's called Ship of Fools. The opening line bears some relevance to the Covid era.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2022 at 6:42 PM, king1010 said:

I always thought Arash Madani was pro CFL. Isn't he the main person who covers it on TSN? 

On 1/7/2022 at 1:09 PM, Joe MacCarthy said:

The Crystal Ship is being filled. 

Why you thought "sinking" was a lyric probably has to do with the F minor chord progression which gives the feeling of something descending, or in this case "sinking"

12 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He hasn't always looked great for Beşiktaş this season. Since they are out of the Champions League, they don't need as deep a roster.

I strongly believe they won't renew his contract in June and if he wants to retire in December, TFC becomes a great option.

Does the MLS season finish before the World Cup this year?