Jonathan David

Vince193

I became a lightweight fan of Arsenal watching Soccer Saturday back in the early 90's.  It's a frustrating team to support, and right now, with Kroenke owning the team, it's tougher than ever.  The owners are only committed to spending enough to keep them in the European competitions, but nowhere near enough to push for the top levels.  I have mixed feelings about David ending up there.

Just now, rkomar said:

I became a lightweight fan of Arsenal watching Soccer Saturday back in the early 90's.  It's a frustrating team to support, and right now, with Kroenke owning the team, it's tougher than ever.  The owners are only committed to spending enough to keep them in the European competitions, but nowhere near enough to push for the top levels.  I have mixed feelings about David ending up there.

With Arsenal's young guys being the bright spot of the last year or so and the constant rumours of wanting to move on from Aubameyang and/or Lacazette, it could be a great option

11 minutes ago, Floortom said:

as far as i can tell, Lille has clinched a top 2 spot assuming they dont lose to Wolfsburg by more than 3 goals. Is that right?

They're assured of a top 3 spot but not top 2. 

They play Wolfsburg away so if they were to lose and Sevilla or Salzburg win the next match they're out. 

If Salzburg and Sevilla draw next match they're through.

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

as far as i can tell, Lille has clinched a top 2 spot assuming they dont lose to Wolfsburg by more than 3 goals. Is that right?

Actually, I'm pretty sure the first tie-breaker that UEFA uses is head-to-head, so any loss to Wolfsburg could put them out. I'll check on the competition rules a bit later.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

They're assured of a top 3 spot but not top 2. 

They play Wolfsburg away so if they were to lose and Sevilla or Salzburg win the next match they're out. 

If Salzburg and Sevilla draw next match they're through.

Regardless of what happens in Salz./Sev.  Lille IS thru to the last 16, unless they lose to Wolfsburg by 4 goals.

An amzing feat for Lille, thanks to David, who are doing so crappy in their domestic matches.

edit: Correction, since Lille tied Wolfsburg before (0-0) they need to win or draw to advance.

tiebreaker: 

Tiebreakers
  • Points in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  • Goal difference in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  • Goals scored in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  • Away goals scored in head-to-head matches among the tied teams;
  •  
Edited by beachesl
did not check carefully

2 minutes ago, prairiecanuck said:

He'd just be breaking his own record!  Davies is the highest paid at 5 mil euro a year though.

Right, David already owns the transfer record. It could be doubled by the summer.

As for salary, David will almost surely pull in more if/when he moves to a bigger/wealthier club. Goal scorers are the highest paid players on any given team.

Anyone know his current salary?

Lille aren't Bayern obviously, but they paid significantly more money for David than Bayern paid Vancouver. I think the Davies transfer, with performance incentives, was around 22M euros. David was closer to 35M euros, right? 

Since goal scorers are the highest paid players on any given team, and David was the club record signing at Lille, surely he's the highest earner at Lille right now. Without knowing how much he makes (hopefully someone else knows), I would guess he's at +3M euros / yr

32 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Anyone know his current salary?

Lille aren't Bayern obviously, but they paid significantly more money for David than Bayern paid Vancouver. I think the Davies transfer, with performance incentives, was around 22M euros. David was closer to 35M euros, right? 

Since goal scorers are the highest paid players on any given team, and David was the club record signing at Lille, surely he's the highest earner at Lille right now. Without knowing how much he makes (hopefully someone else knows), I would guess he's at +3M euros / yr

I'm sure Davies has hit a couple of those performance escalators but certainly not all (one of them was for if he won the ballon d'or.. which I suppose could happen). Also Whitecaps had some small percentage of a sell-on

22 hours ago, Lansdude said:

How does he get on the field at those clubs?

I... I mean I've never seen the floor plan for Anfield or the Etihad so I have no idea.

But in all seriousness G. Jesus and F.Torres have been largely underwhelming, while Liverpool's forwards are all in their late twenties, as others have pointed out. Liverpool prob makes the most sense. And the club with the most serious links to him in the news/gossip.

Arsenal and Man U are currently tire fires of slightly different temperature atm. Whether they would take him, or he would find a place in the starting line-up is irrelevant. He should stay away for his own sake.

3 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Arsenal and Man U are currently tire fires of slightly different temperature atm. Whether they would take him, or he would find a place in the starting line-up is irrelevant. He should stay away for his own sake.

David is 2nd amongst the top 5 leagues in Europe in goals this season and scoring in Champions League.  His transfer price is going to be around €50 million.

Any team who signs him is going to be expecting him to start and score at least a 0.50/90.  

While he is still young and developing, he’s an elite pro athlete and expected to help carry a team at this point.  Of course he will be starting.