Jonathan David

Vince193

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, frmr said:

fichajes.net claiming David's price to be 50-60 million euros.

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/gran-momento-jonathan-david-le-abre-puertas-grandes-europa-20211114.html

This almost prices him out of a Liverpool move.

It really doesn't. Liverpool will pay the right price for the player they want. They just won't pay the wrong price for the players they don't want.

36 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

It really doesn't. Liverpool will pay the right price for the player they want. They just won't pay the wrong price for the players they don't want.

It almost does. They paid 50M euros for Jota, someone who they deemed was the better choice than David or Sarr, who he was shortlisted with, so they obviously didn't want him as much as Jota. Would they pay 10M more for someone who was second or third choice the year prior? I don't know. Edwards is gone at the end of this season too, so was he an Edwards target? Plus David's value could continue to rise. If Lille wants 50-60M euros in January, if he continues scoring at this rate for the rest of the season, he could be even more in the summer which would really limit the clubs that would go in for him, but would also all but guarantee that David moves to a giant next.

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

It almost does. They paid 50M euros for Jota, someone who they deemed was the better choice than David or Sarr, who he was shortlisted with, so they obviously didn't want him as much as Jota. Would they pay 10M more for someone who was second or third choice the year prior? I don't know. Edwards is gone at the end of this season too, so was he an Edwards target? Plus David's value could continue to rise. If Lille wants 50-60M euros in January, if he continues scoring at this rate for the rest of the season, he could be even more in the summer which would really limit the clubs that would go in for him, but would also all but guarantee that David moves to a giant next.

Nobody knows who was on Liverpool's shortlist 16-18 months ago. If they wanted David then, they may have deemed that he didn't have the top-level experience to warrant a price tag of 30 million pounds. They felt better paying significantly more for an older player with Premier League experience at that time. So, it wasn't a matter of the price being too high for the club, but the club not feeling that the price was justified for the player. If they truly think that David is the right player for them either in January or next summer, they'll pay the price to get him. If they don't want him, or Lille aren't willing to sell, or JD prefers to go somewhere else, than he won't move to Liverpool. But none of that is because Liverpool can't afford him.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Nobody knows who was on Liverpool's shortlist 16-18 months ago. If they wanted David then, they may have deemed that he didn't have the top-level experience to warrant a price tag of 30 million pounds. They felt better paying significantly more for an older player with Premier League experience at that time. So, it wasn't a matter of the price being too high for the club, but the club not feeling that the price was justified for the player. If they truly think that David is the right player for them either in January or next summer, they'll pay the price to get him. If they don't want him, or Lille aren't willing to sell, or JD prefers to go somewhere else, than he won't move to Liverpool. But none of that is because Liverpool can't afford him.

That three player shortlist was leaked and is pretty widely cited from when they bought Jota. Also, FSG is tight as fuck. As a club, Liverpool of course could go for any player in the world, but whether FSG loosens the purse strings is another story. David at 60M+ puts him in some pretty exclusive company in terms of Liverpool transfers. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying it's rare that Liverpool (read: FSG) pays top dollar for a player. Not like City, Chelsea, RM, PSG, etc. The one thing that works in favour for the move is that his wages would be relatively cheap compared to his transfer value.

12 minutes ago, frmr said:

That three player shortlist was leaked and is pretty widely cited from when they bought Jota. Also, FSG is tight as fuck. As a club, Liverpool of course could go for any player in the world, but whether FSG loosens the purse strings is another story. David at 60M+ puts him in some pretty exclusive company in terms of Liverpool transfers. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I'm just saying it's rare that Liverpool (read: FSG) pays top dollar for a player. Not like City, Chelsea, RM, PSG, etc. The one thing that works in favour for the move is that his wages would be relatively cheap compared to his transfer value.

The shortlist never leaked. It was widely speculated that Liverpool were locked into Timo Werner. That turned out to be wrong. There were other players heavily linked in the media, but nobody at the club ever mentioned any names until Jota was signed out of the blue, with no leaks in the media before the announcement. If Klopp, Edwards, and (now) Ward want David, they'll make a move. If they don't want him, they won't move. There won't be a situation where they want him but can't afford him.

6 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If Klopp, Edwards, and (now) Ward want David, they'll make a move. If they don't want him, they won't move. There won't be a situation where they want him but can't afford him.

I don't follow Liverpool, but I suspect you are over simplifying. Presumably they wouldn't buy someone they want, despite the transfer being asked being unreasonable. Maybe they believe Player X is good enough to play for Liverpool, but that doesn't mean they will buy Player X for 100 million pounds just because he is good enough to play for Liverpool. If a player is deemed not good enough for a team, that's a non-starter, but if they are deemed good enough, and a fit for their team, the next thing to evaluate is if they think the player is worth the asking price. Maybe Liverpool would want David for 30 million pounds, but not for 60 million (numbers chosen at random).

So yeah, I'm sure Liverpool can afford him, but that doesn't mean they won't pass on him due to his price tag.

Forgetting about Newcastle too... Makes even more sense for them because they have one transfer window to turn their team from relegation zone to staying in the Premier League. They will spend a crazy amount of money in the winter transfer - I think that is pretty obvious.

As Liverpool waits to see if David will get better, his price tag will keep going up. I honestly hope he goes to a team like Everton or Aston Villa where he will more than likely start every week. If he has an off game at Liverpool, he might get stuck on the bench quickly. Gerrard would probably be a great teacher of the game for him as well.

3 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

Forgetting about Newcastle too... Makes even more sense for them because they have one transfer window to turn their team from relegation zone to staying in the Premier League. They will spend a crazy amount of money in the winter transfer - I think that is pretty obvious.

As Liverpool waits to see if David will get better, his price tag will keep going up. I honestly hope he goes to a team like Everton or Aston Villa where he will more than likely start every week. If he has an off game at Liverpool, he might get stuck on the bench quickly. Gerrard would probably be a great teacher of the game for him as well.

while encouraging him to give up playing international footie :)

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

The shortlist never leaked. It was widely speculated that Liverpool were locked into Timo Werner. That turned out to be wrong. There were other players heavily linked in the media, but nobody at the club ever mentioned any names until Jota was signed out of the blue, with no leaks in the media before the announcement. If Klopp, Edwards, and (now) Ward want David, they'll make a move. If they don't want him, they won't move. There won't be a situation where they want him but can't afford him.

I think you're being pretty optimistic regarding FSG. You're basically saying that it would be Klopp and Edwards who decided not to replace Lovren or Wijnaldum, or not to add another attacker before this season where Liverpool loses Mane and Salah to Afcon. I highly, highly doubt that. I would bet my life that there have been plenty of times where Klopp or Edwards wanted a player but FSG did not fork out the money. Klopp has even said on multiple occasions that they have to spend within their means and they are not City or Chelsea. There's every chance that people at the club want David but are priced out in favour of more "moneyball" transfers like Minamino. David is quickly going from an unpolished diamond in the rough to a straight up diamond.

It pains me to say this. But I think Manchester City would make the most sense. Though I have no idea if they are interested.

He would play there. And thrive, surrounded by good players. Plus City is a little thin in the centre forward area. I don't think Ferran Torres has lived up to expectations. Or Gabriel Jesus.