Manjrekar James

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Makes sense now why he was left off. Happy to hear and seems like the right club level for him. If he can standout and help the club he may work his way back into the pool for WCQ. The more depth, the better, so I hope this move helps him find form.

The most important thing is that he plays, hopefully this means he does that while staying the same league.  Historically a big club in Denmark.  Best of luck to him. 

39 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

It funny how only a couple years ago James and Cornelius were such big parts of the picture for Canada, and now they have both just dropped out.  I hope James gets his club sorted out and can get a full season in at a decent level.  

The program has a lot more depth now.  Players have to be in form and at a strong level to make the team.

Both Cornelius and James have not been in strong form for a bit of time now.  The door is not closed and I’m sure everyone is hoping for a return to form.

3 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

100 percent agreed.  Really puzzling why Herdman doesn’t rate Manjrekar.  Considering the position he plays is still one where we may experience need it makes no sense that he is being frozen out.

I don't think it's that he doesn't rate James its just that the man hasn't played much, something like 27 games in two years or something like that. I fully expect if he's a regular with Velje he's back in the fold over Sturing. 

If he doesn't get recalled and he's playing tons of minutes then questions can be asked.

If James is able to play well and nail down a starting spot then he's back in the CMNT picture for sure. I think if all of Henry, James, and Kennedy are in form within the next few months then we will be in a good spot come World Cup Qualifying, given all the fullback depth we all of a sudden have. We don't NEED world class CBs to have a good, solid defense, specially when defending is a team effort and the defensive line itself can be more than the sum of the parts, but we do need to have in form good defenders... of course, having a world class defender to  anchor the defense wouldn't hurt.

8 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

If James is able to play well and nail down a starting spot then he's back in the CMNT picture for sure. I think if all of Henry, James, and Kennedy are in form within the next few months then we will be in a good spot come World Cup Qualifying, given all the fullback depth we all of a sudden have. We don't NEED world class CBs to have a good, solid defense, specially when defending is a team effort and the defensive line itself can be more than the sum of the parts, but we do need to have in form good defenders... of course, having a world class defender to  anchor the defense wouldn't hurt.

Unless, worst case scenario, we finish 4th in the ocho and have to face Suarez and Cavani in the last qualifying round.  They'd absolutely tear us apart.

42 minutes ago, costarg said:

Unless, worst case scenario, we finish 4th in the ocho and have to face Suarez and Cavani in the last qualifying round.  They'd absolutely tear us apart.

or we could draw Oceania and beat New Zealand

1 hour ago, costarg said:

What if we finish top three and play them in WC, would they absolutely tear us apart then?

2 hours ago, costarg said:

Uruguay’s current FIFA ranking is 9th in the world, so they’re about as good as Mexico, who are ranked 10th. Mexico do not tear us apart, so why would Uruguay? And Suárez and Cavani are both 34 years old.

19 hours ago, Grandbloke said:

Uruguay’s current FIFA ranking is 9th in the world, so they’re about as good as Mexico, who are ranked 10th. Mexico do not tear us apart, so why would Uruguay? And Suárez and Cavani are both 34 years old.

34 years old, and still major contributors playing on two of the best teams in the best leagues on the planet. 

Mexico is very good and they're very balanced, however our CB's have never faced this kind of 1-2 punch.  We're good, but Uruguay probably gives us the biggest challenge due to their strongest spot on the field lining up against our weakest.

21 hours ago, MtlMario said:

What if we finish top three and play them in WC, would they absolutely tear us apart then?

Making it to the WC is our goal, finishing the ocho top 3 is the best way to accomplish that. 

Admitting that CB is our weakest spot across the 11 is reality, while hoping to avoid the best forwards on the way through qualifying is just logical.

Frankly I couldn't care less if we get torn apart at the WC, just watching CANMNT in the WC would be one of the greatest moments of my life, as a fan.

Mtlmario I get your reaction to costarg’s post but I understand where it’s coming from. My hopes in order would be:

1) legit qualify again for a WC (ie 2022… playing in 2026 is now a given as far as we know)

2) score a goal in a WC game

3) get a point/don’t lose in a WC game

4) win a WC game

5) progress to knockouts in WC

6) win a knockout game in the WC

Anything past this — and truthfully anything beyond #3 or 4 — is absolute gravy. 

Do I want Canada to get blown away? No. But if they do hopefully it means they have achieved #1 at least.  I’m sad that Canada never even scored a goal in 1986, but for 80+ minutes against Platini etc I was buzzing. 

8 minutes ago, shorty said:

Mtlmario I get your reaction to costarg’s post but I understand where it’s coming from. My hopes in order would be:

1) legit qualify again for a WC (ie 2022… playing in 2026 is now a given as far as we know)

2) score a goal in a WC game

3) get a point/don’t lose in a WC game

4) win a WC game

5) progress to knockouts in WC

6) win a knockout game in the WC

Anything past this — and truthfully anything beyond #3 or 4 — is absolute gravy. 

Do I want Canada to get blown away? No. But if they do hopefully it means they have achieved #1 at least.  I’m sad that Canada never even scored a goal in 1986, but for 80+ minutes against Platini etc I was buzzing. 

Honestly I don't think advancing to the knockouts in a WC is out of the question. Concacaf teams have done that quite a bit and if we want to be in the top 3 of Concacaf, that has to be within the realm of possibility.

Edited by frmr

6 hours ago, frmr said:

Honestly I don't think advancing to the knockouts in a WC is out of the question. Concacaf teams have done that quite a bit and if we want to be in the top 3 of Concacaf, that has to be within the realm of possibility.

In the last 7 World Cups. The CONCACAF teams to get out of the group stage are...

Mexico - 7 times
USA - 4 times
Costa Rica - 1 time

So the odds are stacked against a non-Mexican, non-American CONCACAF team (1 made it out of the group out of 9 tries). That being said, the hope right now (for me at least) is that Canada is the 3rd best team, and better than the 3rd best teams of old. There is a reasonable chance that 3 CONCACAF teams get out of the group in Qatar, hopefully we are one of them!