Manjrekar James

1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

I think if Millar starts for Montreal he would be ahead of James. Dont forget about Kennedy, I would say the bundasliga 2 is a better league than first division in greece. 

No. Mind you, the top teams in Greece can argueably hold their own against mid-table Bundesliga squads. (Not arguing Kennedy shouldnt get a look with the nats). 

22 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

No. Mind you, the top teams in Greece can argueably hold their own against mid-table Bundesliga squads. (Not arguing Kennedy shouldnt get a look with the nats). 

greece has three good teams and then a big drop off. i think the average B2 team is better than the first division in greece. its just transfermarkt but the worst b2 team is valued over 10 mill and theres a bunch of teams in the greek league under 10 mill. 

Reality is that right now, we have a total of 0 Center backs that are established starters at their current clubs and I believe that they are all playing at comparable levels.  So much that even if one was able to find consistent playing time at their club, it will give them advantage.  A low B2 team is not much different than a mid table Liga Nos team, which is not much different that a top Danish team team, which is not much different that a low Greek Superlig team which is not much different than mid to low MLS team.  For a period there Doneil Henry was the exception who was playing every game for Vancouver and then even with Suwon when he first transferred there.  Now, unfortunately injuries have hit him again.

Our current center backs have basically all either finished the season with less than 1,000 minutes or are pace to finish with less than 1,000 minutes (except Vitoria).  That equates to about a dozen full league games in a season.

Kennedy has played 433 minutes in B2 this season

Cornelius played 904 minutes for Vancouver last season

Kamal Miller played 805 minutes for Orlando last season

James played 450 minutes in Danish Superligaen/UEFA Champions League this season

Vitoria is probably our most consistent CB when it comes to playing time with club and even he gets dropped from the starting lineup from time to time.

If any one of these players truly becomes an outright starter for their club, it almost seems a given that they would be in consideration for automatic starter for Canada.  This info above is based on club form.  Both Vitoria & Cornelius have the advantage that they looked well paired together in some crucial games for Canada.  But by our next set of international fixtures, that will be about 18 months ago.

Edited by Corazon

12 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Reality is that right now, we have a total of 0 Center backs that are established starters at their current clubs and I believe that they are all playing at comparable levels.  So much that even if one was able to find consistent playing time at their club, it will give them advantage.  A low B2 team is not much different than a mid table Liga Nos team, which is not much different that a top Danish team team, which is not much different that a low Greek Superlig team which is not much different than mid to low MLS team.  For a period there Doneil Henry was the exception who was playing every game for Vancouver and then even with Suwon when he first transferred there.  Now, unfortunately injuries have hit him again.

Our current center backs have basically all either finished the season with less than 1,000 minutes or are pace to finish with less than 1,000 minutes (except Vitoria).  That equates to about a dozen full league games in a season.

Kennedy has played 433 minutes in B2 this season

Cornelius played 904 minutes for Vancouver last season

Kamal Miller played 805 minutes for Orlando last season

James played 450 minutes in Danish Superligaen/UEFA Champions League this season

Vitoria is probably our most consistent CB when it comes to playing time with club and even he gets dropped from the starting lineup from time to time.

If any one of these players truly becomes an outright starter for their club, it almost seems a given that they would be in consideration for automatic starter for Canada.  This info above is based on club form.  Both Vitoria & Cornelius have the advantage that they looked well paired together in some crucial games for Canada.  But by our next set of international fixtures, that will be about 18 months ago.

Good points here. I think we often split hairs when comparing some leagues. None of them are the CPL and none of them are Big 5.

I noticed Vitoria has been wearing the armband as of late, he is scoring, and most importantly he has had a consistent run in the team going back to the end of last season. Even starters get rotated, and I think that is the case with him.

So I think we can safely say Vitoria is a starter for his club. The rest will have to earn their spot and Henry will have to get healthy and reclaim his starting role in Korea.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Good points here. I think we often split hairs when comparing some leagues. None of them are the CPL and none of them are Big 5.

I noticed Vitoria has been wearing the armband as of late, he is scoring, and most importantly he has had a consistent run in the team going back to the end of last season. Even starters get rotated, and I think that is the case with him.

So I think we can safely say Vitoria is a starter for his club. The rest will have to earn their spot and Henry will have to get healthy and reclaim his starting role in Korea.

He does have 1 goal in the cup this season and yes he does have 2 goals in his last 2 games for 3 goals this season.  However besides his last 2 games, he was on the bench for the previous 4 straight games and on the bench for 5 of the past 6 games and only seeing playing time in one of those 5 games off the bench.  Like I said in my post, he is by far most consistent center back when it comes to club playing time, but I don't consider starting 3 of the past 8 games as a starter just being rotated.  He did start the first 8 games of the season though.

In 2019-20 season, he started the first 14 games of the season to close out 2019.  In the 2nd half of the season (so starting January 2020) he started only 3 of the final 20 games of the season.  He missed 2 for injury and 1 for suspension.

So even though I have him as one of our current top center backs, I don't consider starting 27 of a possible 49 league games over the past 18 months as a "sure set" club starter.

Referring back to my previous post, he does get dropped as starter from time to time over the past 2 seasons with Moreirense.

Edited by Corazon

7 minutes ago, Corazon said:

He does have 1 goal in the cup this season and yes he does have 2 goals in his last 2 games for 3 goals this season.  However besides his last 2 games, he was on the bench for the previous 4 straight games and on the bench for 5 of the past 6 games and only seeing playing time in one of those 5 games off the bench.  Like I said in my post, he is by far most consistent center back when it comes to club playing time, but I don't consider starting 3 of the past 8 games as a starter just being rotated.  He did start the first 8 games of the season though.

In 2019-20 season, he started the first 14 games of the season to close out 2019.  In the 2nd half of the season so starting January 2020 he started 3 of the final 20 games of the season.  He missed 2 for injury and 1 for suspension.

So even though I have him as one of our current top center backs, I don't consider starting 27 of a possible 49 league games over the past 18 months as a "sure set" club starter.

Referring back to my previous post, he does get dropped as starter from time to time over the past 2 seasons.

Thanks for the clarification. I admittedly haven't been paying close attention to Moreirense for the past month up until those goals started to come, but was monitoring earlier in the season when he was always in the line up, so it makes sense I missed that. 

Let's see how things develop. Right now it sounds like he is right on edge of being sure-starter, but not quite there yet. Curious he is wearing the armband though.

Edited by Obinna

Just now, Obinna said:

Thanks for the clarification. I admittedly haven't been paying close attention to Moreirense for the past month up until those goals started to come, but was monitoring earlier in the season, so it makes sense I missed that. 

Let's see how things develop. Right now it sounds like he is right on edge of being sure-starter, but not quite there yet. Curious he is wearing the armband though.

I do agree.  Over the past two seasons, he still has the most starts of any of the center backs listed above besides Doneil.

3 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Montreal have up a lot for Miller, I'd be shocked if he isn't starting every game likely in a back 3. 

I really hope so, but he's got pretty good competition with 5 other CB's in the roster: Struna, Binks, Camacho, Waterman, Yao and Miller.

Henry will surely be playing with a back 3.

10 hours ago, costarg said:

I really hope so, but he's got pretty good competition with 5 other CB's in the roster: Struna, Binks, Camacho, Waterman, Yao and Miller.

Henry will surely be playing with a back 3.

Isn't binks heading to Bologna this year? Edit I just saw he's got one more year with Montreal. 

Edited by Mikmacdo

• 3 weeks later...

I understand herdmans want to have culture of playing players who are playing minutes for their clubs. But Canada doesn’t have the depth in quality as England or Spain for example. If delli alli is not playing for Tottenham Garett southgate has 4-5 equal options to play in that role. If Canada has center backs with experience at good levels who are not playing they should be using the camps and friendly to help with there match fitness and give younger players more of a role with the youth national teams. Honestly, you have to be nuts to go into a wcq with cbs playing cpl as opposed to someone with quality level experience in europe

1 hour ago, top cheese said:

I understand herdmans want to have culture of playing players who are playing minutes for their clubs. But Canada doesn’t have the depth in quality as England or Spain for example. If delli alli is not playing for Tottenham Garett southgate has 4-5 equal options to play in that role. If Canada has center backs with experience at good levels who are not playing they should be using the camps and friendly to help with there match fitness and give younger players more of a role with the youth national teams. Honestly, you have to be nuts to go into a wcq with cbs playing cpl as opposed to someone with quality level experience in europe

You have to be nuts to be so focused on the quality of the cpl ;)

The league is what it is, I think most people here appreciate that and hope for it to improve with every year. It's probably on par with the League of Ireland Premier division or something, but hey, even Shamrock Rovers gets a guy into the Republic of Ireland national team now and again. 

Don't worry about it.

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

You have to be nuts to be so focused on the quality of the cpl ;)

The league is what it is, I think most people here appreciate that and hope for it to improve with every year. It's probably on par with the League of Ireland Premier division or something, but hey, even Shamrock Rovers gets a guy into the Republic of Ireland national team now and again. 

Don't worry about it.

More to your point, and closer to home, look at our rivals who outclass us year after year. They call guys from domestic leagues arguably weaker than or on par to CPL. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Nate3322 said:

Ouch that's rough. At least he got to start today hopefully he'll get some consistent minutes for Lamia.

1-0 at half then PAOK scores at 48' and 52' and James is immediately substituted, interesting to see if he starts the next game, they play Larissa (last place team) on Wednesday.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:03 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

More to your point, and closer to home, look at our rivals who outclass us year after year. They call guys from domestic leagues arguably weaker than or on par to CPL. 

The thing to consider is that game shape is game shape.  People can knock on the CPL all they want but when a player is playing 90 minutes every single week compared to a player who trains all week and watches the game; the player going 90 will be in better form.

So a guy like Zator - a CPL best XI for 2 straight seasons- will be in better form than a guy like James who only plays occasionally or not at all.  

Also don’t think for a second that Andrew Jean-Baptise will not be starting every game for Haiti.  He will be playing very credibly for them as well.

29 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

james came off the bench to play a few minutes in a 1-0 win moving lamia out of the bottom 2. 

Positive to hear.

Not the highest level of play, but it's a European first division, and it's not exactly Andorra or Malta. It's not even Finland. 

And, it's surely a higher level of play than the Danish 2nd division where he spent his last loan.

If he can get a string of games as a starter, I think he gets back into contention for a call up.

Also, I wonder they are shopping him with this loan? Whenever a player is loaned abroad I tend to think "potential sale".  

Edited by Obinna