Manjrekar James

Just now, Aird25 said:

Choosing another option isn’t a knock. Calling the CPL option a retreat is

There are two senses of that word and I am starting to think you are assuming the wrong one.  

1. A retreat is a relaxing getaway where you get to put your feet up and and chill.  

2. A retreat can be a description of the process of retreating - as in moving backwards.  

I interpreted his comment in the second sense.  And insofar as Greek tier 1 is a higher level than CPL (which it is) it is an accurate statement to say it would be a retreat. 

if you are interpreting it in the first sense, which would imply that CPL is a cakewalk league that anyone could breeze through, then I can see why you would be critical.  Fortunately I don’t think that is what he meant.  

1 hour ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

If James wasn't a centre-back he wouldn't even be in discussion for a Canada call-up.  At the moment his playing resume doesn't  deserve a place on the team.  He needs to establish himself as a regular starter somewhere. A champions league match does not a career make.

Except he has got called and has done a pretty good job for us in the CMNT.  No matter what his resume tells you.  Look at Gerba, what in his resume would tell you he would score so much for Canada??  Sometimes guys just cant a good situation going at their club, doesnt always mean they arent useful with the national team.  Same as you wouldnt judge Larin from his first couple years in turkey, or David from this year in france.  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Except he has got called and has done a pretty good job for us in the CMNT.  No matter what his resume tells you.  Look at Gerba, what in his resume would tell you he would score so much for Canada??  Sometimes guys just cant a good situation going at their club, doesnt always mean they arent useful with the national team.  Same as you wouldnt judge Larin from his first couple years in turkey, or David from this year in france.  

He hasn't been a regular since 2017 with Canada, which says a lot about the state of our National team back then.

Who is a regular CB then??  Cornelius, Viitoria/Jackovic...who are both almost closer to 40 than 30, Henry...most people spit on the ground when you mention him and.................................????   The state of our CB is not much better now. He has played for us and played pretty good, if he can get regular minutes and on form, why wouldnt he be in the mix for regular calls??

Flightly random thoughts.  Because it's what I do.

1st.  The British retreated from Dunkirk.  Five years later they were making themselves nicely at home in Berlin.  So there!

2nd.  I recall more than once suggesting that MLS was being used as a "security blanket" by some Americans.  (Just to prove I can see both sides of the same coin).

3rd.  And by far most importantly.  Yeah...center half.  A question that keeps me up at night heading into this years international calender.         

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Who is a regular CB then??  Cornelius, Viitoria/Jackovic...who are both almost closer to 40 than 30, Henry...most people spit on the ground when you mention him and.................................????   The state of our CB is not much better now. He has played for us and played pretty good, if he can get regular minutes and on form, why wouldnt he be in the mix for regular calls??

Vitoria is 33 (edit: actually he turned 34 a few days ago) 

I would be happy for James to take the Greece loan, that is his level.

Let's be honest, he is not starting material for the national team in 2021. He can however be a good stop-gap for our program, but only if he is playing regularly. Becoming a starter with Midtjylland was always a big ask of him, so his loan is great news. He's not going to improve if he stays on the bench.

And can we finally be realistic about the caliber of this player? He's really a fringe player for us, and there's no shame in that, but there's a reason why he only has 17 caps at the age of 27.

We should be investing more in Cornelius, honestly. Kamal Miller might be even better than Cornelius. Our 4 best options are those two, Vitoria and Henry.

I don't think James seriously belongs in the conversation until he proves himself with more than one single decent game against Atalanta. I get we are excited for someone to emerge, but we really jumped the gun after that game. 

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Choosing another option isn’t a knock. Calling the CPL option a retreat is

I’m sorry if you misunderstood my point. No one is not supporting the CPL. James has the opportunity to play and fight in Europe and in my opinion CPL is a downgrade for him at this point in his career. It doesn’t mean I don’t support the league. 

3 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

There are two senses of that word and I am starting to think you are assuming the wrong one.  

1. A retreat is a relaxing getaway where you get to put your feet up and and chill.  

2. A retreat can be a description of the process of retreating - as in moving backwards.  

I interpreted his comment in the second sense.  And insofar as Greek tier 1 is a higher level than CPL (which it is) it is an accurate statement to say it would be a retreat. 

if you are interpreting it in the first sense, which would imply that CPL is a cakewalk league that anyone could breeze through, then I can see why you would be critical.  Fortunately I don’t think that is what he meant.  

I’m glad you understand what I’m trying to say. 
CPL is going to advance our program but I want to see players promote to better leagues and higher levels .

Huge CPL supporter here and I totally get where Aird25 is coming from but at 27 James needs to be getting minutes at the highest level possible. At the moment I think the CPL is for young players starting their careers and old players coming back, mentoring and raising the quality of play. (Haber, Edgar, De Jong etc)... and with the Canada centre back discussion there is definitely no clear and obvious answer. I personally think Henry or Vitoria are our best CB’s but that doesn’t mean I’m comfortable with them back there... so James should definitely be in the discussion and if he ends up playing lots in Greece I think it will actually move him up in Herdman’s depth chart. 

51 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Not sure this is saying much since under Herdman the CMNT barely plays. And that was even before covid....

We have played 16 games under Herdman by my count, so playing in 3 of those 16 is quite low.

During this time Vitória has played 4, Miller has played 5 games, Henry has played 9 and Cornelius has played 13. James has played the least and his games were all friendlies. Compare that to Vitória, who was called upon for when the games mattered (nations league). 

16 hours ago, VinceA said:

Based on their standings on the general level of the Greek league these days that's a big downgrade. Have to think if he makes this move he knows it hurts his Canada chances.

The guy has played 100 or so pro matches in seven years, most of them in Hungary and only 15 or so for his current club - a starting role in Greece is a pretty fair deal, IMHO

The Greek League v. The Danish League is a literal toss-up in terms of which is better.

Although historically I would say the Greek league is.

Even if you look at the UEFA Club Coefficients Denmark is 13 and Greece is 18. But a year ago Greece was ahead. But even that is skewed because all it takes is one team to make a bit of a run in Europa League and you can shoot up the rankings.

Edited by narduch

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

The Greek League v. The Danish League is a literal toss-up in terms of which is better.

Although historically I would say the Greek league is.

Even if you look at the UEFA Coefficients Denmark is 14 and Greece is 18. But a few years ago Greece was ahead. But even that is skewed because all it takes is one team to make a bit of a run in Europa League and you can shoot up the rankings.

It’s not just the difference in leagues - it’s the fact that he’s going to the worst team in the league. Sure, the Greek league is a solid level for James but the club he’s going to has 7 points in 16 matches. 

Just now, Floortom said:

It’s not just the difference in leagues - it’s the fact that he’s going to the worst team in the league. Sure, the Greek league is a solid level for James but the club he’s going to has 7 points in 16 matches. 

I would agree if this were a permanent deal. A loan move to get him some real playing time in a solid league could help him gain some form though to possibly get a larger role next year with Midtjylland or to move on (maybe somewhere else in Denmark or Greece)

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

They literally said they’d prefer him fight to play in Europe rather than retreat to play in CPL. It’s pretty hard to misinterpret that.   Plus it’s a loan for a player that’s not getting minutes. How can it be considered anything but a downgrade?

You’ve now called me wrong-headed, disingenuous, and tried to explain the English language to me, so clearly my point isn’t being received well. Perhaps the poster was speaking specifically to James’ situation, but the way it’s worded reads to me that they think those who play in Europe have made it and those that play domestically have not. I find this a common belief amongst many soccer fans that I don’t necessarily agree with. I think it’s a broad generalization that is harmful to the growth of professional soccer in this country.

Edited by Aird25

Not sure if it was announced as official, but seems to be over the line now. No new information, just confirms everything we already know.

Article mentions he has also played for Sigma. I wonder if the Smyrniotis/Sigma are known with their Greek connection?

https://www.kaliterilamia.gr/2021/01/james-manjrekar.html?m=1

Edited by Stryker911

Good move in my opinion.  Greek league historically is a higher level than Denmark.  A move to PAS Lamia should result in more consistent minutes.  It's not like he is moving to Olympiacos, Panathinaikos or AEK where he would likely be in the same position he is at Midtjylland.  It would be a similar move if he moved to a lower Danish Superliga team in my opinion.

I had to double check to see if Lamia had been relegated to 2nd tier Greece given some of the surprising comments against this move and the level of the Greek league.

Manjrekar James will be playing against some very high level players.  I recommend that whoever is hating on this league go and take a look at the rosters of some of these Greek clubs.  I am all for the CPL and love what it is doing for Canadian soccer development.  But if we were to combine the CPL and the Greek Super League into one league, it would be heavily filled with Greek Super League players.

With all that being said, as long as Manjrekar James is getting consistent minutes, then this is a good move for him.  If he gets solid minutes in the Greek Super this spring and potentially in the future, he will be consistently called to our national program.  I'm sorry to say to those Canadian fans who don't want that.

There are very few guys on here who slag CPL, and thats not whats happening here. CPL being a good league for young guys, or guys that fall through the cracks etc.  Right now we all want our guys to play there, do very well and then move on and go as far/high as they can.  Its not a european thing, if James came back and got regular minutes with an MLS squad we'd all be happy.  I am no expert on Denmark vs Greece vs MLS but I am pretty sure the levels are higher than CPL..FOR NOW.  I would rather have CPL spots going to younger guys that have not gotten any shot at all.  

1 hour ago, Corazon said:

Good move in my opinion.  Greek league historically is a higher level than Denmark.  A move to PAS Lamia should result in more consistent minutes.  It's not like he is moving to Olympiacos, Panathinaikos or AEK where he would likely be in the same position he is at Midtjylland.  It would be a similar move if he moved to a lower Danish Superliga team in my opinion.

I had to double check to see if Lamia had been relegated to 2nd tier Greece given some of the surprising comments against this move and the level of the Greek league.

Manjrekar James will be playing against some very high level players.  I recommend that whoever is hating on this league go and take a look at the rosters of some of these Greek clubs.  I am all for the CPL and love what it is doing for Canadian soccer development.  But if we were to combine the CPL and the Greek Super League into one league, it would be heavily filled with Greek Super League players.

With all that being said, as long as Manjrekar James is getting consistent minutes, then this is a good move for him.  If he gets solid minutes in the Greek Super this spring and potentially in the future, he will be consistently called to our national program.  I'm sorry to say to those Canadian fans who don't want that.

I totally agree. Who cares if the team he’s going to is at the bottom of the table. He’s going to be playing against some good teams that will challenge him and dealing with the pressure of avoiding relegation will be good for him. It will be interesting to see if he can help them improve in the league. Maybe he really helps them out? Like when Eustaquio went to Pacos. I also think his mobility is something a lot of our other CB’s lack. The most noticeable example I remember is when he came on against a speedy Jamaica in the gold cup.

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If James becomes a starter in the Greek top flight, even on the worst team, that would put him behind only Vitoria (slightly), and on par with Henry, and ahead of all the MLS guys- on paper. If he does well, he's a starter for me. 

James gets little respect around here. The guy scored in Honduras FFS. 

I think if Millar starts for Montreal he would be ahead of James. Dont forget about Kennedy, I would say the bundasliga 2 is a better league than first division in greece. 

12 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

If James becomes a starter in the Greek top flight, even on the worst team, that would put him behind only Vitoria (slightly), and on par with Henry, and ahead of all the MLS guys- on paper. If he does well, he's a starter for me. 

James gets little respect around here. The guy scored in Honduras FFS. 

That was almost half a decade ago now. What has he done for us lately? He was responsible for the goal conceded against Barbados, an opponent he should have dominated against. 

That said, I would still strongly consider calling him for a Honduras away match. His experience playing and scoring in San Pedro Sula would be a real asset for us.