Manjrekar James

Really difficult to get a grasp on what level he should be playing at. Has shown pretty well for Canada, but never really played at a very high level other than Midtjylland. Didn’t get much game time but they obviously saw something in him to sign him from Hungary. Always seems like his career is about to take off and then it never does.

31 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Really difficult to get a grasp on what level he should be playing at. Has shown pretty well for Canada, but never really played at a very high level other than Midtjylland. Didn’t get much game time but they obviously saw something in him to sign him from Hungary. Always seems like his career is about to take off and then it never does.

Perhaps James should request a loan to a CPL club where he can play and have, theoretically, a chance to dominate. Also, Herdman can keep a close eye on him. A standout CPL season could lead to an MLS or another European opportunity. At any rate, it is time to see if this guy can play.  York would be the perfect club for James.

9 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

I don’t see how playing minutes in a Tier 1 euro league will hurt his chances for Canada. I’d rather see him fighting in Europe then retreating to Canada to play in CPL any-day.

The key thing being minutes played which are very low for Jame in Denmark. I think that the CPL would be a good thing for James in the way it was for Waterman. Can James be better than Waterman? Probably, but he needs a reset and minutes on the pitch. Plus, the CPL needs some better players to raise the standard for the youngsters.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Based on their standings on the general level of the Greek league these days that's a big downgrade. Have to think if he makes this move he knows it hurts his Canada chances.

You rag on guys for not getting minutes but also rag on guys for dropping down a level to get minutes...

If this means James can get consistent playing time I'm all for it

14 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

The key thing being minutes played which are very low for Jame in Denmark. I think that the CPL would be a good thing for James in the way it was for Waterman. Can James be better than Waterman? Probably, but he needs a reset and minutes on the pitch. Plus, the CPL needs some better players to raise the standard for the youngsters.

Yeah but Waterman was coming from Usports  in his early 20's.  He needed to progress, needed to learn to be a pro player and CPL was an obvious step up, then MLS, CMNT etc etc because he was good enough eh?.  He used CPL as a stepping stone.  James has been in Europe, pro enviroment Hungary/Denmark etc for years.  At 27, how much will it help him to come to CPL? 

8 minutes ago, Fullback said:

You rag on guys for not getting minutes but also rag on guys for dropping down a level to get minutes...

If this means James can get consistent playing time I'm all for it

Vince is always negative.... 

The greek league is still a good level especially the top three teams, its probably better than the Super Liga. If he can get minutes defending against AEK, Olympiakos and PAOK that will be great. I think this move could help in the same way Vitoria moving to a smaller team in Portugal did. 

This is a good move. He keeps his money and moves to a good level. I don’t mean to be rude but suggestions of a CPL move are quite ridiculous. These leagues are light years apart. If you’re 27-28 and moving from the top team in Denmark it better be to MLS (look at Bill Hamid, who couldn’t even get a game). This guy was just starting against Atalanta in the champions league and now we’re suggesting he should be playing CPL? 

10 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This is a good move. He keeps his money and moves to a good level. I don’t mean to be rude but suggestions of a CPL move are quite ridiculous. These leagues are light years apart. If you’re 27-28 and moving from the top team in Denmark it better be to MLS (look at Bill Hamid, who couldn’t even get a game). This guy was just starting against Atalanta in the champions league and now we’re suggesting he should be playing CPL? 

Well, we are all in agreement that James needs minutes in a decent league. Sitting on anybody's bench in Europe will not improve the standard of playing for James. Minutes!

46 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The faster we lose this perspective the faster we grow as a footballing nation.

I am a big fan of CPL but this seems very wrongheaded.  Sure, if we were talking about some obscure 2nd or 3rd division or a lower tier footy nation I might agree.  But it seems obvious that it would be better for him to be competing in a European first division than playing in CPL.   Our league fulfils a certain function but it isn’t there yet in terms of that level of competition oR compensation.  

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am a big fan of CPL but this seems very wrongheaded.  Sure, if we were talking about some obscure 2nd or 3rd division or a lower tier footy nation I might agree.  But it seems obvious that it would be better for him to be competing in a European first division than playing in CPL.   Our league fulfils a certain function but it isn’t there yet in terms of that level of competition oR compensation.  

That’s not what the poster said though. They coined CPL a retreat, and they considered Europe, as a whole, a better option

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That’s not what the poster said though. They coined CPL a retreat, and they considered Europe, as a whole, a better option

That seems a bit disingenuous considering you only quoted the second of his two sentences.   The full quote:

I don’t see how playing minutes in a Tier 1 euro league will hurt his chances for Canada. I’d rather see him fighting in Europe then retreating to Canada to play in CPL any-day

It seems clear that he is talking about his situation in Greece rather than making a general statement about any possible European league being better than CPL.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That seems a bit disingenuous considering you only quoted the second of his two sentences.   The full quote:

I don’t see how playing minutes in a Tier 1 euro league will hurt his chances for Canada. I’d rather see him fighting in Europe then retreating to Canada to play in CPL any-day

It seems clear that he is talking about his situation in Greece rather than making a general statement about any possible European league being better than CPL.  

thank you brother because that’s exactly what I am trying to say

i want the most competitive player pool and as much as I love the CPL , it’s a developing league. We need our players playing and fighting at the highest level . CPL is a perfect stepping stone for our boys to get noticed and move on, like a Borges or Waterman , but if a player like James has a Chance to play in a top Euro Tier, no matter what place they are in (it’s a loan) , I would rather see that then coming home to play in CPL. He’s already there might as well stay there 

no hating on the CPL but let’s remember what the goal is 

Edited by Bikerack

59 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That seems a bit disingenuous considering you only quoted the second of his two sentences.

It’s not disingenuous. If committed Canadian soccer supporters can’t get behind the CPL we’re going to be stuck forever. It’s great James still has better options, but it’s not helpful to call CPL a retreat

1 hour ago, Bikerack said:

if a player like James has a Chance to play in a top Euro Tier, no matter what place they are in (it’s a loan) , I would rather see that then coming home to play in CPL.

Remove everything within those commas and I might agree. I’m not looking forward to Moldova raiding CPL though.

45 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

If James wasn't a centre-back he wouldn't even be in discussion for a Canada call-up.  At the moment his playing resume doesn't  deserve a place on the team.  He needs to establish himself as a regular starter somewhere. A champions league match does not a career make.

His playing resume includes his Canada performances though. He’s been one of our better CBs recently

7 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It’s not disingenuous. If committed Canadian soccer supporters can’t get behind the CPL we’re going to be stuck forever. It’s great James still has better options, but it’s not helpful to call CPL a retreat

Committed Canadian soccer supporters are behind CPL.  That doesn’t mean they need to be unrealistic about the current level of competition.  For a player who has aspirations of playing in a league like the top tier in Greece, it would represent a step down.  That isn’t a knock on CPL - it is just a simple recognition of where the league is at right now.  Being honest about that in no way equates to not getting behind the league. 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Committed Canadian soccer supporters are behind CPL.  That doesn’t mean they need to be unrealistic about the current level of competition.  For a player who has aspirations of playing in a league like the top tier in Greece, it would represent a step down.  That isn’t a knock on CPL - it is just a simple recognition of where the league is at right now.  Being honest about that in no way equates to not getting behind the league. 

Choosing another option isn’t a knock. Calling the CPL option a retreat is