Manjrekar James

17 minutes ago, Metro said:

Hot off the presses.  Welcome home Manjrekar.

Maybe he was already this low, but does this move put him below zator and heibert in the depth charts. Maybe below a few other CPL players and young MLS guys like Yao. Probably the right move for him, but disappointing that he never really reached the next level. 

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Maybe he was already this low, but does this move put him below zator and heibert in the depth charts. Maybe below a few other CPL players and young MLS guys like Yao. Probably the right move for him, but disappointing that he never really reached the next level. 

He wasn't on the depth chart imo. 
Zator has been to Herdman camp so of course he's ahead of him.
Heibert is playing in a respected league, so of course he would be called ahead of him. 

Yao isn't on the depth chart yet. He'll need emerge like a blazing hot forrest fire to make the chart imo.

14 minutes ago, Shway said:

He wasn't on the depth chart imo. 
Zator has been to Herdman camp so of course he's ahead of him.
Heibert is playing in a respected league, so of course he would be called ahead of him. 

Yao isn't on the depth chart yet. He'll need emerge like a blazing hot forrest fire to make the chart imo.

James has multiple caps for canada and was called up in 2020. Zator was called up in 2019 but has 0 caps. This suggest that James was for sure above zator in the depth chart in 2020. Neither were technically on the chart afterwards. 

But ya i agree, he probably is not on the charts any longer.

Edited by Bigandy

8 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

James has multiple caps for canada and was called up in 2020. Zator was called up in 2019 but has 0 caps. This suggest that James was for sure above zator in the depth chart in 2020. Neither were technically on the chart afterwards. 

But ya i agree, he probably is not on the charts any longer.

I don’t think James was anywhere near the NT plans and would not have been unless he somehow got picked up by Shaktar or Dynamo Kiev or something. 

good career move for him. If he can hang in Ukraine, he can hang in the CPL and he’s young enough to get some very good years in at forge. 

Yeah, on the one hand I assume this signifies the end of his national team journey. 

On the other hand, this seems like a monster signing for Forge.  I know some people don’t like the dynasty that has already been somewhat established, but thus should position Forge well to compete on a regional level.  

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, on the one hand I assume this signifies the end of his national team journey. 

On the other hand, this seems like a monster signing for Forge.  I know some people don’t like the dynasty that has already been somewhat established, but thus should position Forge well to compete on a regional level.  

I don’t know that that’s necessarily true. He wasn’t exactly close to NT where he was. If he can move into MLS in a year or 2 he could get back into the picture.

On 3/11/2023 at 12:55 AM, Bdog said:

Pretty big signing for the evil CPL imo.

Dejan Jakovic and David Edgar were a bigger factor with the CMNT and had stronger club careers, so struggling to get into the top three on ex-national team players to sign for the Forge depending on how you view Kyle Bekker. If CanPL received a significant cash injection from the CSB deal last year (which I assume is what the evil bit is referring to) it looks like most of it went to boost wages at the lower end of the roster or cover previous losses rather than attracting a higher calibre of player than has been signed previously.

David Edgar actually did quite well for the Forge from what I remember and is still there as an assistant coach AFAIA. Kudos to Manjrekar James for moving to the Ukrainian league for the 2022-23 season given the current circumstances but was that a move that someone with a career heading in the right direction was likely to make?

Even though James hasn't played much, he's had league appearances at all his stops in recent years, and all were at very respectable levels (Danish Superliga / Super League Greece / Ukrainian Premier League). He isn't that far from playing against Napoli in the Champion's League...

This is a big signing for the CPL, and hopefully a good opportunity for James to re-establish himself.

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

David Edgar actually did quite well for the Forge from what I remember and is still there as an assistant coach AFAIA. Kudos to Manjrekar James for moving to the Ukrainian league for the 2022-23 season given the current circumstances but was that a move that someone with a career heading in the right direction was likely to make?

High risk/high reward? Ukraine has some very good teams and this is probably the “best time” for someone who may not have been on their radar to get a chance. Maybe it fails and he’s back in Canada, or maybe he kills it and a champions league club comes calling.

on a smaller scale, but it’s like going to Portugal in the hopes that one of the big 3 notice you. Sure there are better teams and leagues you can go to, but the chance to go from Maritimo -> Porto is worth the risk of getting relegated and then having to look elsewhere for your next team. 

49 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

More like going to Pacos Ferreira or Vizela right at the time of Portugal being invaded by Spain. In hindsight, it was an odd move.

That's why I said on a much lower level. Don't think that James had a laundry list of elite suitors wanting to sign him, Ukraine is a good choice because they have some very good teams, not sure what their peacetime appetite for a ~CPL level player would've been. It's a risk, but don't think he's anywhere different if instead he went to Latvia or Moldova or Romania or any similar league.