Scott Arfield

I must say that I don't see Arfield being a top choice for us anymore. And it's not that he's not a decent choice, more that others have done a great job in his place and are better options at this point, plus the team is playing better than ever so there's just no need for him. I think it would take a few players falling off the cliff in terms of form, or some significant injuries for him to draw back in. 

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

I must say that I don't see Arfield being a top choice for us anymore. And it's not that he's not a decent choice, more that others have done a great job in his place and are better options at this point, plus the team is playing better than ever so there's just no need for him. I think it would take a few players falling off the cliff in terms of form, or some significant injuries for him to draw back in. 

Wotherspoon just got hurt.  He's out for the next 6 to 8 months.  Someone has to replace him.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 8:12 PM, jordan said:

Linked to Turkey (Alanyaspor and Hatayspor)on a Bosman, don’t know that a move there would interest him though. Contract is coming up so I’m sure he will be linked to lots of teams. He was playing pretty well before the break.

One last big pay day is likely to be the name of the game and he's not going to get that in Scotland after leaving Rangers. If Giovanni van Bronckhorst has other players in mind moving forward and is going to make some moves during the transfer window a move away is also probably the only way back into the picture in CMNT terms.

35 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

One last big pay day is likely to be the name of the game and he's not going to get that in Scotland after leaving Rangers. If Giovanni van Bronckhorst has other players in mind moving forward and is going to make some moves during the transfer window a move away is also probably the only way back into the picture in CMNT terms.

He has been on amazing form and many fans want to keep him.  His manager has shown a lot of faith in him.  I wouldn't be surprised if signed a new deal for another year.   He also indicated in interviews that he was interested in the MLS years ago.  It may be a decision of getting 2 or 3 years guaranteed somewhere else or a one year deal to stay at Rangers.   The bigger guaranteed payday might be too much to pass up.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, jordan said:

Hard to tell he was on the field in the second half, others were invisible as well, Dundee United stuck to their plan and made it very difficult. Dundee played a 16 year old, 17 year old, 3 18 year olds, and a 19 year old. 

side note 

The 17 year old from this game just transferred to Aston Villa

Just now, Floortom said:

Damn...I'm guessing Herdman invited him for this window and pretty much said it's now or never.

I agree with that. You have to wonder why he would retire now with the chance to go to a World Cup? Obviously the pull to not be in this window was massive. 

4 minutes ago, rkomar said:

We're so close to going to the World Cup this year.  What an odd time to retire from the CMNT.  I'm puzzled and sad.

Agreed - I also thought it was quite odd.  Obviously we don’t know what’s going on personally, but why not play a few games in 2021, stake your claim on the team and wrap it up at the end of 2022.

1 minute ago, trc2014 said:

Agreed - I also thought it was quite odd.  Obviously we don’t know what’s going on personally, but why not play a few games in 2021, stake your claim on the team and wrap it up at the end of 2022.

I'm assuming that it comes down to him not wanting to commit to this window due to his contract situation and fighting to keep his spot in the Rangers lineup.