Scott Arfield

6 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Something must’ve happened because it was only a couple months ago he gave an interview stating he was willing to be back in the fold 

He was somewhat non-committal at the time though - he says he needs to sit down with the Manager and figure out how / if it will work etc.  Didnt strike me as being desperate to get back in the fold or anything

Something happened. Either he wasn't called and must have thought he wasn't in Herdman's plans, or Herdman called him but gave him an ultimatum that if he couldn't commit to this window he likely wasn't in Herdman's plans in the future.

Either way it is sad to lose a player of Scotty's quality.

THAT SAID,

We should be celebrating his short but eventful Canada career. A Premiership quality player who chose Canada despite other options (yes waiting for Scotland counts), I think we should give Arfield credit for being one of those transitional pieces from the 'old' Canada to the 'new' Canada. He was there captaining the side with a young Davies, David, Larin, etc in the squad. And he always gave it his all. I'm sure he helped move the program forward to where it is now.

So thank you very much for your service Scotty! I'm sure Canada will qualify for the World Cup and crush it and bring a smile to your face! :)

One of the first comments from a Rangers fan on this that I see is "Given his Rangers contract ends soon, I’d imagine he’s doing everything he can to earn a new deal , chucking Canada is a big step."

Which I think is what it ultimately comes down to. Remember - he's 33 years old. He has one good contract left most likely. He's not willing to risk it IMO

Sorry, but I am annoyed as hell about this.  Not sure who I am mad at but someone deserves criticism.  

Maybe Herdman didn’t call him and Scott saw the writing on the wall.  In which case I am annoyed with Herdman. 

Alternatively, Herdman called him and he refused.   In which case I am annoyed with Scott.   

Either way, this is a shit situation and I can’t help but feel that this is a slap in the face at a point in time where we very specifically need him.  Celebrate his contribution and decision if you want but to me this leaves a bitter taste.  It may be petty but it is how I feel about it.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

11 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Something happened. Either he wasn't called and must have thought he wasn't in Herdman's plans, or Herdman called him but gave him an ultimatum that if he couldn't commit to this window he likely wasn't in Herdman's plans in the future.

Either way it is sad to lose a player of Scotty's quality.

THAT SAID,

We should be celebrating his short but eventful Canada career. A Premiership quality player who chose Canada despite other options (yes waiting for Scotland counts), I think we should give Arfield credit for being one of those transitional pieces from the 'old' Canada to the 'new' Canada. He was there captaining the side with a young Davies, David, Larin, etc in the squad. And he always gave it his all. I'm sure he helped move the program forward to where it is now.

So thank you very much for your service Scotty! I'm sure Canada will qualify for the World Cup and crush it and bring a smile to your face! :)

What other options did he have? It was Scotland first and foremost and when he realized it wasn’t happening he hopped on the Canadian bandwagon. Same with Witherspoon. The Scotland guys would have always chose Scotland first if they were good enough. 

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Either way, this is a shit situation and I can’t help but feel that this is a slap in the face at a point in time where we very specifically need him.  Celebrate his contribution and decision if you want but to me this leaves a bitter taste.  It may be petty but it is how I feel about it.  

I'm sure there are lots of factors, personal, professional, interpersonal, financial, at play here.

I don't see this as a 'slap in the face' at all. If anything, Scott is trying to leave respectfully and on good terms.

2 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

What other options did he have? It was Scotland first and foremost and when he realized it wasn’t happening he hopped on the Canadian bandwagon. Same with Witherspoon. The Scotland guys would have always chose Scotland first if they were good enough. 

As we have seen with other players, "waiting forever for a call from another country that might not come" is 100% viewed as another option by potential CMNT players! :D

That and the classic "no international career" option!

He’s just being rational. Our place in the WC is not guaranteed. His place on the squad if we make it is not guaranteed. Probably best for him to stay home, play it safe and extend his career. 

Disappointing time for him to bail - after all the less meaningful stretches - but it makes sense.

Edited by The Real Marc

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I'm sure there are lots of factors, personal, professional, interpersonal, financial, at play here.

I don't see this as a 'slap in the face' at all. If anything, Scott is trying to leave respectfully and on good terms.

No pro is going to burn bridges and salt the earth upon leaving.  They are just words - they come easy and are free.  Nothing that was said changes the fact that we could really, really use a player of his quality to help get this thing across the line. 

Scott Arfield makes immediate announcement on his future (rangersfcnews.org)

There seems to be a lot more to this but conflicting schedules were mentioned in the article above.

"The popular Rangers midfielder, 33, will now be available at the end of this month and into February in the same domestic period that clashes with the CONCACAF international window in which the Maple Leaf’s are scheduled to play three World Cup qualifiers."

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

No pro is going to burn bridges and salt the earth upon leaving.  They are just words - they come easy and are free.  Nothing that was said changes the fact that we could really, really use a player of his quality to help get this thing across the line. 

I was a huge proponent of bringing Arfield back in. You can look back at my posts; I rated him as easily one of our top-3 mids. So you are 100% correct we could use him.

But I'm pretty sure I am also correct presuming there are other factors at play here. It probably wasn't an easy decision, but it was made. We move on.

4 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

As we have seen with other players, "waiting forever for a call from another country that might not come" is 100% viewed as another option by potential CMNT players! :D

That and the classic "no international career" option!

It sounded like you thought there was a 3rd option and he chose a Canada over it. We were the only other option, and if there was some Welsh or Irish in him we probably would have been plan D. 

13 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Sorry, but I am annoyed as hell about this.  Not sure who I am mad at but someone deserves criticism.  

Maybe Herdman didn’t call him and Scott saw the writing on the wall.  In which case I am annoyed with Herdman. 

Alternatively, Herdman called him and he refused.   In which case I am annoyed with Scott.   

It seems clearly planned to avoid speculation with the new call-up, which is this week. This way he steps to the side before we can keep second guessing what is going on. 

Either it is Herdman: "I'm not calling you in", or it's Arfield: "I'm not coming in John". Or a bit of both. So they agree to end amicably, which I think is fine. 

The main thing that bothers me is that we could use every quality footballer at our disposal, and he was definitely one of those. Then, the second thing that gets me: didn't Arfield want to go to a World Cup?

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

No matter what the reasons are it definitely has potential to be a huge loss especially in the upcoming windows with 4 matches in Central America where his experience and leadership would have been huge! IF we qualify this will all be forgotten IF things go horribly wrong this will be a moment we will look back at and speculate on! 

Edited by gator

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It seems clearly planned to avoid speculation with the new call-up, which is this week. This way he steps to the side before we can keep second guessing what is going on. 

Either it is Herdman: "I'm not calling you in", or it's Arfield: "I'm not coming in John". Or a bit of both. So they agree to end amicably, which I think is fine. 

The main thing that bothers me is that we could use every quality footballer at our disposal, and he was definitely one of those. Then, the second thing that gets me: didn't Arfield want to go to a World Cup?

That’s the thing, he could have waited until then to announce it, then again he can always come back to international football.