Scott Arfield

1 minute ago, gator said:

No matter what the reasons are it deinitely has potential to be a huge loss especially in the upcoming windows with 4 matches in Central America where his experience and leadership would have been huge! IF we qualify this will all be forgotten IF things go horribly wrong this will be a moment we will look back at and speculate on! 

The speculation has already begun my friend :D

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

It seems clearly planned to avoid speculation with the new call-up, which is this week. This way he steps to the side before we can keep second guessing what is going on. 

Either it is Herdman: "I'm not calling you in", or it's Arfield: "I'm not coming in John". Or a bit of both. So they agree to end amicably, which I think is fine. 

The main thing that bothers me is that we could use every quality footballer at our disposal, and he was definitely one of those. Then, the second thing that gets me: didn't Arfield want to go to a World Cup?

That kind of makes me lean more towards the "i'm not calling you, you are not in our plans etc" camp.  If he choose not to go to this camp to protect his ranger career, he could always just keep Canada on the back burner and HOPE he might get called when we qualify, which we assume he wants and would accept.  If Herdman gave him the heave ho, why wouldnt he come out and announce his INT days are done and he is going to concentrate on Rangers (which they would love to hear).    

I can’t imagine Herdman aka Mr Schmooze told him to take a hike.

These are the three games that decide our fate. I would imagine that Herdman called him and he understandably declined.

I would think that Herdman probably then told him not showing up at this point makes it impossible to call him for the World Cup.

So they part ways respectfully. Airfield shows his club commitment and Herdman gets certainty.

All speculation of course.

Edited by The Real Marc

14 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

We move on.

Yeah. As much as I wanted to see Arfield play for us again, we've been successful without him. His services would have helped us, but there's no sense in dwelling on this. His retirement would have probably happened in the next couple years anyway, given his age. It's extremely disappointing, but we're lucky to have some young options in the pipeline with equally high ceilings. 

Ya im a bit confused. I thought his goal was to get to a world cup. We’re missing davies and hoilett, bunch of mls guys out of season. 

We’re sitting first in our group, with a demanding 3 game window. He would've seen a bunch of time and could have solidified our (and his) spot in qatar with 3 results. 

Literally one window to commit to to get to a world cup but it was a tad bit inconvenient for rangers’ schedule?

Seems off to me and im left with a bitter taste as well. 

Edited by king1010

7 minutes ago, Matro25 said:

At the end of the day Herdman didn't force him to announce his retirement. He could have kept the window open

Yeah he could have.  The fact that he didnt....and gave up the chance, even if it was remote..to get called to Qatar tells you something eh?? Wheres SpecialK??  What does he have to say? 

Super disappointed.

Trying my hardest to reserve judgement but, last we saw him in uniform he was all about praising the squad, manager and playing,  and last time he was asked he wanted to play again. 

So like everyone, I’ve got ideas but, no story. Let’s see if the media finally does their job. 

Edited by Califax

9 minutes ago, admin said:

WTF? Part of a club deal?  We'll take you for X as long as you don't play for Canada?

I think I recall Jason De Vos saying he had been pressured at a few clubs not to play for Canada, and he had turned down contracts while on a free transfer because the contract came with the understanding he would not continue to play for Canada. He also said one reason he went to Wigan was Paul Jewell understood the pride and importance of someone playing for their country, so that was no issue there. 

*this is to the best of my memory anyway

1 minute ago, Sal333 said:

Arfield hasn't been with the team all of 2021 so it's not like we don't know how to play without him.

In fact we had our best year ever without him. Good luck on the rest of his career but I'm glad this chapter is over and we can move on to recruiting the younger midfielders we have like Mitrovic. 

15 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Arfield hasn't been with the team all of 2021 so it's not like we don't know how to play without him.

We’re missing a lot of guys, we’re now missing our best player, we’re probably going to miss more because of omicron and travel, and we’re going to two pretty crappy places to play.

As much as we looked outstanding in Mexico, we look like a bag of smashed assholes in Jamaica

And on top of all that we might not have Home fans for our game against the other top team in the region

There is no decent  player that I wouldn’t want to have available right now

Edited by Califax

The classy take is to wish him well as we move on, recognizing his positive contribution to the program. That said, the frusturation and bad taste in our mouths is very justified. It may take a while for some of us to move past the disappointment.

In a way I am glad we get closure on him. It's good to know so we can move forward. Players coming out of retirement to play in the World Cup is not unheard of, but this feels final to me, so I will wish him the best and look foundly back on his short, but impact career for Canada.

Thanks Scottie!

1 minute ago, Califax said:

We’re missing a lot of guys, we’re now missing our best player, we’re probably going to miss more because of omicron and travel, and we’re going to two pretty crappy places to play.

As much as we looked outstanding in Mexico, we look like a bag of smashed assholes in Jamaica

And on top of all that we might not have Home fans for our game against the other top team in the region

There is no decent  player that I wouldn’t want to have available right now

Look, I Iiked Arfield especially since he said yes to us when many hemmed and hawed about playing for the NT. But he didn't show up all of 2021. He may have had a good reason or maybe Hoillet's cap tweet reveals something we done want to face. Arfield made excuses for not showing up all of 2021 and Hoillet called him out. 

Arfield plays in the midfield. Last I saw we're not missing any players in the midfield. Davies and Hoillet play on the wings. Sure, I would like to have Arfield on the team instead of Fraser but Liam is 7 or 6 on the depth chart and Scott is 5th after Eustaquio, Kaye, Hutch and Oso. We'll be fine. It's not like we had him there all of 2021 and now we have to fill his shoes