Scott Arfield

6 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I really hope to see him there.  I’ve enjoyed watching him suit up for the national team.  His distribution is so strong.  I’d love to see what he could do with Eustaqiuo and his ability to find some of our speedsters who weren’t there a couple years ago.  

The fact that Arfield specifically mentioned the non Fifa window leads me to believe Herdman is seriously considering bringing him. Even for the window itself bringing him as a depth player shouldn't be that controversial, he's not a leader in this team anymore. Hopefully the leadership group, Herdman and Arfield can come to some sort of resolution.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

While they can’t outright refuse to let him go they can let him know that his attendance at a time when he is needed but the club could impact his prospect of a new contract going forward.  Given his age and probable need to manage minutes I don’t think his international situation I s straightforward at all.  

These are the delicate grey areas.  Fortunately Gerrard is gone.  Gio had 106 caps himself and captained the Netherlands to a world cup final in 2010.  He has re-instated Arfield into the fold.  Rangers have a big match against Celtic on the 2nd.  A victory could widen the gap in the table.  Hopefully Gio's attitude towards international duty isn't the same as Gerrard's was.  The introduction of a new manager may have changed the fortunes for Scott Arfield and his inclusion into the Canada side.

13 hours ago, Macksam said:

Europe is not Canada though...I'm sure you can light up in the bars/restaurants unlike here so logistically, how hard is it, really?

Does Europe have more hours in the day or am I missing something?

I’m confused. No disrespect but how is AFCON more important than WCQ?

If Scott gets called for Camp Poutine and then subsequently the 3 WCQs why does Canada have to worry about Rangers squad due to AFCON. 

Now is the time for Scott to show his commitment for the cause. He’s had time to focus on his club career, especially when the pinnacle of his career is in reach.

Edited by Shway

9 minutes ago, Shway said:

If Scott gets called for Camp Poutine and then subsequently the 3 WCQs why does Canada have to worry about Rangers squad due to AFCON. 

Now is the time for Scott to show his commitment and for the issue. He’s had time to focus on his club career, especially when the pinnacle of his career is in reach.

Qft

If I'm Scotty - I gotta lean towards WCQ / poutine, even if it poses contract issues.

He's playing really well now, he's previously chosen club commitments (and pandemic / family / injury factors too), and he has a legit chance to play in a World Cup. It also helps that his current manager is not an asshole.

Logically, crossing the pond is the choice most would make in his situation and have faith contract isn't impacted. I also HAVE to figure that he finds his way into a club if he doesn't get an offer from Rangers, I think the struggle is that he loves playing for Rangers.

Im happy it sounds more amicable than it did, at least. 

Edit:

I meant to add that the Animal Farm-esque disparity of viewpoints in how European leagues view other competitions and windows has to end soon. 

A FIFA window is a window. 

Edited by Califax

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Had to edit it a part of what I said, but @Califax echoed my sentiments.

But also that reply doesn’t contribute much.

I was reinforcing your great point, but cheers, I'll be better next time. 

Also if I had a dollar for every reply on this forum that didn't contribute much lolol

Edited by king1010

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Thanks for that, it filled a few gaps I missed, despite replaying it several times (proper Scottish accent innit?).

First of all, he says if not in January it'll be March. That indicates he's coming back in for sure either way.

We've had this theory he'd be done if he doesn't show up next camp, but this really goes to show how we don't always know the ins and outs behind the scenes. 

Secondly, (and I may be reading too much into this) it struck me as odd that it would either be the non-FIFA Jan camp or the March window. I suspect he failed to mention the Jan window because he was just glossing over the details at that point of the interview (not necessarily to mislead intentionally).

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Thanks for that, it filled a few gaps I missed, despite replaying it several times (proper Scottish accent innit?).

First of all, he says if not in January it'll be March. That indicates he's coming back in for sure either way.

We've had this theory he'd be done if he doesn't show up next camp, but this really goes to show how we don't always know the ins and outs behind the scenes. 

Secondly, (and I may be reading too much into this) it struck me as odd that it would either be the non-FIFA Jan camp or the March window. I suspect he failed to mention the Jan window because he was just glossing over the details at that point of the interview (not necessarily to mislead intentionally).

Interesting, I just listened to it before reading your post and took away this comment about March only to mean "he'll then be in consideration for March". Based on his tone and other comments it sounds to me the situation is:

1. He has to fight to "get selected"

2. He said himself : if he's not playing (next year / regularly) he won't be going to the World Cup. I think this is an interesting point we've not considered - Herdman is looking for guys who aren't just in form now but will be during the World Cup (with maybe Atiba being the one 'risk worth taking' guy)

14 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Interesting, I just listened to it before reading your post and took away this comment about March only to mean "he'll then be in consideration for March". Based on his tone and other comments it sounds to me the situation is:

2. He said himself : if he's not playing (next year / regularly) he won't be going to the World Cup. I think this is an interesting point we've not considered - Herdman is looking for guys who aren't just in form now but will be during the World Cup (with maybe Atiba being the one 'risk worth taking' guy)

That was my take on the interview.  Arfield is in a delicate spot because he needs to play with his club to get selected for the CMNT, but is worried that taking time off for the CMNT will negatively impact his club time.  It's damned if you do and damned if you don't.  He's leaving it up to Herdman and his club's management to come up with a deal that both can live with.  I suspect that Gerrard was making that negotiation difficult before.

4 hours ago, Shway said:

Now is the time for Scott to show his commitment for the cause. He’s had time to focus on his club career, especially when the pinnacle of his career is in reach.

Hopefully the definition of Arfield's "pinnacle of career" is once a life time to play in WC2022 instead of another Scottish league title, another year of contract extension or keeping himself in starting 11 for a couple of more seasons.

Edited by lamptern

1 hour ago, saintjoes said:

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant was that he's clearly wanting to come back, so if he misses out on January, then March he should be in. Obviously it depends on form and Arfield knows that, but it's a signal that his return is immenent, baring an injury or complete regression.

To me, him looking ahead to March suggests he's seeking a return one way or another, which is a far cry from the "if he doesn't come in January he's likely done" narrative that many had been pushing (including me!).

I never meant to imply Herdman gave Arfield a guarentee for March, sorry if it came across that way. 

Edited by Obinna

52 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant was that he's clearly wanting to come back, so if he misses out on January, then March he should be in. Obviously it depends on form and Arfield knows that, but it's a signal that his return is immenent, baring an injury or complete regression.

To me, him looking ahead to March suggests he's seeking a return one way or another, which is a far cry from the "if he doesn't come in January he's likely done" narrative that many had been pushing (including me!).

I never meant to imply Herdman gave Arfield a guarentee for March, sorry if it came across that way. 

Ah gotcha. Ya that makes sense. But do you think the invite to the non-fifa window and friendly may have been his chance to prove he deserves a spot (and get him reintegrated and up to speed on latest tactical framework)? If so then missing it would make it harder for Herdman to justify his inclusion straight into March games. Thoughts? 

Edited by saintjoes

47 minutes ago, saintjoes said:

Ah gotcha. Ya that makes sense. But do you think the invite to the non-fifa window and friendly may have been his chance to prove he deserves a spot (and get him reintegrated and up to speed on latest tactical framework)? If so then missing it would make it harder for Herdman to justify his inclusion straight into March games. Thoughts? 

I fully agree. At the same time I think Arfield would still back himself to get into a March camp, should he miss the upcoming one.  

https://www.footballinsider247.com/campbell-makes-big-arfield-claim-after-rangers-contract-reveal-via-sky/?amp

https://www.rangersnews.uk/analysis/rangers-fans-praise-neglected-ibrox-star-who-is-thriving-under-gio/amp/

Couple complimentary articles about his play and contract talks. One even predicting he’d get back to the Premier league if Rangers let him go. 

Edited by Califax

3 hours ago, Califax said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/campbell-makes-big-arfield-claim-after-rangers-contract-reveal-via-sky/?amp

https://www.rangersnews.uk/analysis/rangers-fans-praise-neglected-ibrox-star-who-is-thriving-under-gio/amp/

Couple complimentary articles about his play and contract talks. One even predicting he’d get back to the Premier league if Rangers let him go. 

……really, which squad. Newcastle?

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

……really, which squad. Newcastle?

He's the type of player that bottom of the table premier league teams would covet.  He's free, older but in good form.  He's a veteran guy still showing well on the pitch.  He's a guy who can give you some minutes and if it doesn't work out, well the whole free transfer thing is a pretty important.