Scott Arfield

7 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think this definitely clears one thing up, Arfield has not retired from international footy and is open to receive callups from Canada.

My guess reading between the lines is he would also show up to a January non-FIFA camp if it were up to him.

Yeah, it did seem that way from his comments. Rangers are playing Jan 22 in a cup so I’m sure they won’t want to let him go. 

6 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah, it did seem that way from his comments. Rangers are playing Jan 22 in a cup so I’m sure they won’t want to let him go. 

Stirling Albion are in the Scottish league 2.  Rangers fixtures in the league are against Ross County who are currently last in the table and Livingston who are currently 8th.  Surely they can handle these without Arfield.  

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That’s what I have generally maintained but it is ultimately between him and Herdman, who will consider the interests of the other players. Who really knows…? 

It’s also suspected that by the end of this next window, we could start booking tickets to Qatar.

And let’s say we do qualify “without” him…does he make the team for the WC? I sure see better value in bringing a guy like Fraser over Arfield for the long term experience.

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

It’s also suspected that by the end of this next window, we could start booking tickets to Qatar.

And let’s say we do qualify “without” him…does he make the team for the WC? I sure see better value in bringing a guy like Fraser over Arfield for the long term experience.

I am not a fan of the idea of someone skipping the entire qualifying campaign and then playing in Qatar but the fact is that the tournament itself is not about grooming the next generation or the long term - it is about being as competitive as we possibly can at the tournament itself.  

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I am not a fan of the idea of someone skipping the entire qualifying campaign and then playing in Qatar but the fact is that the tournament itself is not about grooming the next generation or the long term - it is about being as competitive as we possibly can at the tournament itself.  

Will be a very interesting and exciting year. He’s definitely a piece to have on the bench even if he plays 20 mins.

I just hope this will he/won’t he convo can get put to bed - and I think January is when we hear/see the final answer. 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think this is an important point. 

also they have the old firm in early Jan and then nothing for almost 3 weeks until that cup tie.

To the football keeners here; What’s the deal with that big gap?

3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Good find and quite an interesting interview.  

Russell Latapy smoked 40 a day.  That’s like Borjan (don’t know how many he smokes a day) but I’ve seen him having a smoke and drinking a coffee in the morning outside hotels.

Off topic but a banner with Borjan smoking a cigarette at the Hamilton game seems too perfect. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

As long as whatever issues that existed (or didn't) between Arfield & whoever else was involved is settled I'm cool with it.

Last thing we need is to break the harmony that exists between the players with 4 Central American road games to go. 

Love Arfield. He's always seems to keep it light hearted. It's a good demeaner to have around the team.

I expect to see him back in January. No guarentees obviously, but Herdman and him have talked by the sounds of it, which is a good sign. I believe the game in question is a Scottish cup game as well, and with the squad Rangers have I don't imagine him being held back. I could see it for a cup final or something, but that won't be the case.

9 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Rangers will also be short a few key players at that time due to AFCON so it wont be as simple as "we can manage without Scotty". I'm sure they're hoping he doesnt get called. 

Aribo is likely to be gone with Nigeria, but that'd be the only center mid by my count. Am I missing someone obvious?

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Aribo the only CM yes, but they have a few others like Balogun and Bassey that will leave them short-handed.

For sure, but what are the knock on effects as they pertain to Arfied? Scott won't be covering for Balogun at CB. Is there another midfielder that would, thus leaving them a player short in that sector?

17 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If Scott Arfield is being asked to attend Camp Poutine, Rangers can hold him back if they so wish. However, there's nothing that they can do to stop him accepting a potential call up for the 3-match WCQ window. 

While they can’t outright refuse to let him go they can let him know that his attendance at a time when he is needed but the club could impact his prospect of a new contract going forward.  Given his age and probable need to manage minutes I don’t think his international situation I s straightforward at all.