Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

MAK was amazing three years ago during that breakout all star season but has been very hit and miss since the  (for club and country. ) I don’t think that’s going to change at this point - what you see is what you get. I still think he would be a good addition for TFC though.

I wonder who was coaching and motivating him that year?  Maybe if he linked up with that coach again?

Redditors freaking out about how bad a trade this was for Toronto. I do think Toronto may have overpaid, but I think Priso is being overvalued in these comments. His ceiling is probably MAK level, which is what one person points out, but he's not there yet and MAK obviously is. One person even said they wouldn't do a straight swap of Priso for Kaye, which is an insane take. People value unfulfiled potential WAY too much.

The irony to the complaints that Kaye is a turnover machine is that so is Priso. 

I wish the best for both players, but as a Toronto fan I think overall I am pleased. Priso will find his way down south, I believe. He's a very promising player, just needs to find more consistency. 

Edited by Obinna

Initially it does look like TFC have slightly overpaid. The more I think about it though,  what TFC lose in potential and MLS funny money, they gain in an increased immediate ability, a guy who will hopefully be very motivated to show friends and family his full ability level, a guy who wants to repay the faith put in him by coach and club, and, not inconsequentially, someone who appears to be a top class human being (bringing good PR too). 

IMO that sounds like a decent deal for TFC. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Redditors freaking out about how bad a trade this was for Toronto. I do think Toronto may have overpaid, but I think Priso is being overvalued in these comments. His ceiling is probably MAK level, which is what one person points out, but he's not there yet and MAK obviously is. One person even said they wouldn't do a straight swap of Priso for Kaye, which is an insane take. People value unfulfiled potential WAY too much.

The irony to the complaints that Kaye is a turnover machine is that so is Priso. 

I wish the best for both players, but as a Toronto fan I think overall I am pleased. Priso will find his way down south, I believe. He's a very promising player, just needs to find more consistency. 

I don’t think it is bad business for TFC bit not sure I agree about Priso and his probable ceiling.  Before his injury he was proving to be a very capable MLS-level midfielder at the age of 18 last season.  And he is now (or at least was) finding that some kind of form this year.   To me, it isn’t unrealistic to think that he may surpass MAK and outgrow MLS in the next couple of years.    

1 hour ago, maccaliam said:

Initially it does look like TFC have slightly overpaid. The more I think about it though,  what TFC lose in potential and MLS funny money, they gain in an increased immediate ability, a guy who will hopefully be very motivated to show friends and family his full ability level, a guy who wants to repay the faith put in him by coach and club, and, not inconsequentially, someone who appears to be a top class human being (bringing good PR too). 

IMO that sounds like a decent deal for TFC. 

This is my thinking as well. Additionally, Bradley obviously has a very clear idea of what Kaye can do and I don't think this deal gets made without the coach having specific plans for how MAK will fit.

Can't underestimate how certain players excel under certain coaches. 

Could not be happier for Kaye here, could not be happier for the CMNT with him on TFC and on home soil going into the fall.

I expect Kaye to light it up on a distribution level with TFCs new front 6.

Massive opprotunity for Kaye and he is coming home. I'm pumped.

10 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Can't underestimate how certain players excel under certain coaches. 

People keep saying this but MAK regressed under Bradley those last two years at LAFC. In fact, Bradley traded MAK to Colorado. 
Anyways, I think MAK is a solid MLS player and will do well with TFC but I’m not expecting him to turn back the clock to 2019.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

People keep saying this but MAK regressed under Bradley those last two years at LAFC. In fact, Bradley traded MAK to Colorado. 
Anyways, I think MAK is a solid MLS player and will do well with TFC but I’m not expecting him to turn back the clock to 2019.

Time will tell I guess. 

I'm excited for him, hope it pans out. 

If I remember correctly some of his regression was due to his injury and LAFC always in "win now" mode. 

Edited by apbsmith

16 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think it is bad business for TFC bit not sure I agree about Priso and his probable ceiling.  Before his injury he was proving to be a very capable MLS-level midfielder at the age of 18 last season.  And he is now (or at least was) finding that some kind of form this year.   To me, it isn’t unrealistic to think that he may surpass MAK and outgrow MLS in the next couple of years.    

I think people forget that players with Priso’s injury (and Akinola’s) may take months AFTER they returned to find the form they once had

I like MAK, and I like Priso, and I'm a TFC fan. Does TFC get better on the field in the immediate aftermath of this deal? Yes. Is this a good deal for TFC? No.

If I'm not mistaken (I could be) I think these are the approximate details of a couple of recent roster moves for TFC.

Alejandro Pozuelo traded for $150k Garber bucks

Mark Anthony Kaye acquired for $1 million Garber bucks, a promising teenager that I don't think is too far behind MAK, a first round draft pick, and an international roster spot.

Is MAK that much better than Priso? I don't think so. Is MAK that much better than Pozuelo? I don't think so. Both moves seem like desperation moves. Desperate to get rid of Pozuelo to make room for someone else, so they accepted a cheap deal. Desperate to acquire Kaye so they give up way too much. For me either $1 million Garbucks OR Priso+Draft Pick would have made sense, but not both.

But sorry, this thread is about Kaye, not TFC. I am looking forward to seeing Kaye with TFC. I haven't watched him at all with Colorado, and didn't see him much with LA either, mostly just the national team. I'm hoping he can bring some overall improvement to the team. A bit better defensively, a bit better in possession, and a bit better offensively. I think he brings a bit of everything.

Edited by Kent

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

I like MAK, and I like Priso, and I'm a TFC fan. Does TFC get better on the field in the immediate aftermath of this deal? Yes. Is this a good deal for TFC? No.

If I'm not mistaken (I could be) I think these are the approximate details of a couple of recent roster moves for TFC.

Alejandro Pozuelo traded for $150k Garber bucks

Mark Anthony Kaye acquired for $1 million Garber bucks, a promising teenager that I don't think is too far behind MAK, a first round draft pick, and an international roster spot.

Is MAK that much better than Priso? I don't think so. Is MAK that much better than Pozuelo? I don't think so. Both moves seem like desperation moves. Desperate to get rid of Pozuelo to make room for someone else, so they accepted a cheap deal. Desperate to acquire Kaye so they give up way too much. For me either $1 million Garbucks OR Priso+Draft Pick would have made sense, but not both.

But sorry, this thread is about Kaye, not TFC. I am looking forward to seeing Kaye with TFC. I haven't watched him at all with Colorado, and didn't see him much with LA either, mostly just the national team. I'm hoping he can bring some overall improvement to the team. A bit better defensively, a bit better in possession, and a bit better offensively. I think he brings a bit of everything.

I'm very interested to see how he does. Just based on his form for Canada, he's been regressing since 2020.

I thought he had been playing pretty good for Colorado this season, team of the week twice. 

Priso is not as good as Kaye right now...he might if he gets PT and makes a breakthrough (like Kaye did several years ago), but that might never happen.  Poz seemingly wanted out, his DP contract meant that TFC hands were tied and he was gone after this season, so they didnt get much for him.  Comparing Garber bucks there to the Kaye deal isnt very useful. Hell didnt Montreal pay 1mil in the Johnston deal and they already had a pretty good RWB in ZBG???  The draft pick is next thing to useless, the amount of homegrown CDN kids vying to fill up the bottom end of the roster means the INT spot isnt as much a priority as it might have been in past years.  

I am more worried how OSO/KAYE/Bradley lineup and gel in the midfield.

51 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I'm very interested to see how he does. Just based on his form for Canada, he's been regressing since 2020.

I think many are over-selling his poor performances for Canada. I don’t think he’s been regressing, personally. Certainly not since 2020. He was a big part of the 2021 Gold Cup, and started most of the matches in the first half of WCQ. He was poor against USA in January (he was out of season), and he made a boneheaded mistake by letting a Costa Rican fool him into a 2nd yellow. The fact that some think he doesn’t deserve to be a big part of the team going forward is crazy to me.

15 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I think many are over-selling his poor performances for Canada. I don’t think he’s been regressing, personally. Certainly not since 2020. He was a big part of the 2021 Gold Cup, and started most of the matches in the first half of WCQ. He was poor against USA in January (he was out of season), and he made a boneheaded mistake by letting a Costa Rican fool him into a 2nd yellow. The fact that some think he doesn’t deserve to be a big part of the team going forward is crazy to me.

To add to this I should have mentioned that most Rapids fans have said he's been the most frustrating player for them this season. Good moments and skill but with the same amount of mistakes. He was also inconsistent in his last year with LAFC.

He is a playmaking midfielder with an eye for that defence slicing slide rule pass.  I like that cut of his jib.  Sure, I have seen him have underwheming games with looser possession than you'd like but his skillset has an x factor that not every player has.  I would love to have him alongside Cubas in Vancouver. 

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Especially when two of the other most frequently used midfielders are a 30-year old who may not have another full World Cup cycle left in him, and a near-40 year old.

The best part of this is he gets reunited with Bradley Sr who was instrumental in getting the best out of MAK.  I have no doubt they reproduce the best of times, and thrive.  Perfect timing, and logically, and hopefully MAK and Osorio create some serious chemistry a few months before the freakin World Cup.  How can this not be a good thing?!

My only concern is how does he gel and fit in with Bradley Jr there?  I just hope he doesn't alter his own game and give him too much space and respect.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

The best part of this is he gets reunited with Bradley Sr who was instrumental in getting the best out of MAK.  I have no doubt they reproduce the best of times, and thrive.  Perfect timing, and logically, and hopefully MAK and Osorio create some serious chemistry a few months before the freakin World Cup.  How can this not be a good thing?!

My only concern is how does he gel and fit in with Bradley Jr there?  I just hope he doesn't alter his own game and give him too much space and respect.

If Oso and MAK play in front of Bradley as the #6, then he should  stay back and protect the back 4. let the other two do all the running. His legs and ability to turn are both declining so best for Michael to keep the play in front of him. He can still hit the deep pass from time to time.

26 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

If Oso and MAK play in front of Bradley as the #6, then he should  stay back and protect the back 4. let the other two do all the running. His legs and ability to turn are both declining so best for Michael to keep the play in front of him. He can still hit the deep pass from time to time.

This would be ideal for sure.  The issue I feel will be Bradley is that he hasn’t come to terms with the decline of his physical and technical abilities. His football brain (vision, reading the play, experience) is top notch, but his pace and touch are now letting him down, yet he doesn’t adjust.  Quite simply, he tries to do way too much.  He can see that deep pass is there, but now it becomes a turnover.