Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

23 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

I get what you're trying to say.... but we can't "ignore" our way to a polite society either. You're likely 99% correct that these statements (from the CSA etc) have no affect on many/most of the perpetrators but it does raise awareness to the issue/concern and opens many people's (privileged) eyes to the fact that this shit still happens and that, maybe, it's your (or my) 13 year old keyboard warrior initiating some of it. I'm betting most 13 year olds will learn more through intervention and support rather than being ignored.

Honestly, I  have no idea of how Mark Anthony-Kaye (or Saka, Sancho or Rashford) are dealing or feeling about this type of abuse. I never will. So... I am sure not going to tell anyone how to feel, or how deal with it.... or how those closest to them should feel or deal with it.

I would say that the world is much more supportive and aware of these issues than when I was a child of the 70s and 80s and that it is the 13 year olds (and 9 year olds and 17 year olds and 4 year olds....) who are going to, hopefully, grow up as allies and not be trying to learn/catch up as a middle aged person.

That said.. . I get what you're trying to say. I just feel that approach is mostly proven not to work. But, then again, what the hell do I know...

Oh man, when I see the bolded words being used in a serious context such as yours, my initial gut reaction is to make a reply to question the poster's masculinity followed by a pseudo, somewhat facetious solution on how to address lack of masculinity through some form of diet and exercise to amplify one's testosterone, but I am going to bite my proverbial tongue from doing such a thing. I am in a better place in my life where I don't feel the need to address misguided notions such as yours with comedic, passive aggressive posts, so...you're welcome. 

Anyhow, forgetting all that, Obinna is 100% spot on bro. Your 13 year old doesn't see race like most adolescents so not talking about race and racism is the ideal way to keep him level headed. Filling his head with woke, guilt ridden garbage will just make him insufferable to most people of colour. Remember my words. 

Edited by Macksam

22 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Could it be Panamanian and Mexican fans posting the vile crap? Maybe I just want to believe that Canadians wouldn't do this to one of their own, but that is clearly naive. 

One of the challenges of growing the sport is that you'll invariably attract some dipshits along the way. 

I think showing some love for MAK on Sunday is the right thing to do. I have it from a reliable source that he is indeed gutted.

Most likely, probably the latter, they're bitter and toxic as fuck, the most vile of supporters.

Edited by Macksam

24 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Oh man, when I see the bolded words being used in a serious context such as yours, my initial gut reaction is to make a reply to question the poster's masculinity followed by a pseudo, somewhat facetious solution on how to address lack of masculinity through some form of diet and exercise to amplify one's testosterone, but I am going to bite my proverbial tongue from doing such a thing. I am in a better place in my life where I don't feel the need to address misguided notions such as yours with comedic, passive aggressive posts, so...you're welcome. 

Anyhow, forgetting all that, Obinna is 100% spot on bro. Your 13 year old doesn't see race like most adolescents so not talking about race and racism is the ideal way to keep him level headed. Filling his head with woke, guilt ridden garbage will just make him insufferable to most people of colour. Remember my words. 

The irony is that this approach is far more passive aggressive than if you just came out and belittled him with your usual shtick.

7 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am not going to shit all over Kaye because it happens.  But the reason why people are mad isn't just because he got a second yellow.  It was because it was a dumb and 100% avoidable move.  Sure he got caught up in the moment.  But that doesn't matter.  There have been times where I wanted to break someone's ankles for ignorant chirping or dirty tackles that the ref missed - but when important things are on the line you just don't do it.  Especially if you are already on a yellow.  You control your emotions and you let your play do the talking.  Venegas may have been a douchbag for acting the way he did but I can guarantee that not a single player on the field would have been surprised by that reaction - or by the fact that a CONCACAF ref might buy it.  So you just don't do it.

To be clear - none of this justifies the reaction that MAK has had to endure by a small pocket of ignorant "fans".  Full stop.  That jas been inexcusable.  

But lets not gloss over the stupidity of the play and pretend that what happened was just part of how it goes.  It didn't have to go down like that at all, and given the way we played the rest of the game, it is fairly safe to say that we were one dumb shoulder charge away from not only qualifying for Qatar, but also eliminating a team that doesn't deserve to be in contention to still qualify.

Yeah but Costa Rica is still in contention for 4th place and that IC playoff; it's between them and Panama.

4 hours ago, Macksam said:

No bolds in my original post, guy. No idea where those came from so.... good job with the research and judgement. Also, I don't have a 13 year old ... just making a reference to previous posters' thoughts.

You have some interesting thoughts on masculinity,  too. No judgement... your thoughts are your thoughts... just interesting to me.

I'm late to the party. Kaye made a couple of small mistakes that Costa Rica took full advantage of. Even the first card, his foot was maybe a couple inches too high off the ground, but the way the Costa Rican kicked through the ball like that really made it seem like he was sacrificing himself to try to draw a card. Maybe it's because I didn't play at a high enough level, but all the time you see someone advancing to the ball to try to block your upcoming kick, and it's rare to just go through the ball like that seemingly to try to injure yourself.

And just a comment on what others have said about how the game turned out with us dominating the second half and we would have drawn or won if Kaye didn't get the red. I have to say that the game state has to be taken into account. Costa Rica didn't need to score any more goals in the second half, and they are tough defensively (even in our home game we only got 1 goal against them, and they were without Navas then). They were the more dangerous team until they scored. They might have continued to be if the teams were even strength and the game stayed tied for longer. We can never know for sure.

But yeah, let's move on. It's officially game day in Toronto. Let's hope it is a magical one! 

• 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing everyone posting their lineups with Kaye nowhere to be found so I figured I’d throw out this prediction. Kaye plays either 2nd or 3rd most minutes of our midfielders (behind Eustaquio and pretty well even with Hutch), assuming everyone is healthy. Kaye is still playing well in MLS and has been generally fine for us. A couple of mistakes and everyone is giving up on him, it’s crazy. He’s not going to go from being such a relied upon player to completely dropped because of 1 red card.

11 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I keep seeing everyone posting their lineups with Kaye nowhere to be found so I figured I’d throw out this prediction. Kaye plays either 2nd or 3rd most minutes of our midfielders (behind Eustaquio and pretty well even with Hutch), assuming everyone is healthy. Kaye is still playing well in MLS and has been generally fine for us. A couple of mistakes and everyone is giving up on him, it’s crazy. He’s not going to go from being such a relied upon player to completely dropped because of 1 red card.

Tbh I generally thought he was quite poor during qualifying but he definitely has his fans here.

I honestly don't think people have given up on him. Before this last window, I'm not many people had him in the starting XI over Eustaqiuo, Hutchinson or Osorio. Is he probably the first one in from the bench? Yes. Is he probably going to start over Hutchinson after the WC? Probably. 

5 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

If I'm picking the lineups? He gets at least one start in Qatar.  Eustaquio is prob the only one who gets all 3 starts in central midfield.  

Will be interesting to see.  In the qualifying windows there was travel and 3 games were compressed into 7 days.  In Qatar there will only be one extra day,  it without any travel and the players in a then-familiar environment.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see Hutch start all 3 games if he is 100% healthy.  Having said that? He was generally rotated during qualification so there is a good chance Herdman continues with that sort of “load management” approach   

If we did think of resting him though, I am not sure the order of the games helps us.  You would only really consider resting him in the middle game and that is where we could really use his experience against a Croatian midfield that is extremely skilled but not exactly speedy.  

None of this is meant to detract from Kaye.  He has clearly earned Herdman’s confidence as a possible starter. And much will depend on individual form going into November and in the games we use to prep.   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
18 hours ago, costarg said:

Gawd, puts in a ball like that, the the colour commentator says "absolutely fantastic individual play".  What does a guy have to do for some acknowledgment and respect?

Honestly, if the ball was put in front of Barrios, then I can understand this comment more. But Barrios had to change his run to go collect the ball before it got intercepted by the defender. I don't think it was a great pass. It was OK, but not great.

• 2 weeks later...