Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

3 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

They’ll all be there and we know it…

I mean, if they are all there come March I won't even know what to say at that point. Biello may be ultra conservative, but he's not stupid. If Biello is somehow still managing this team by March, I guess I could see Hoilett and Borjan still being in the squad, maybe Osorio too, err...and I guess probably Vitoria. 

And he did bring Kaye back from the wilderness....

Do you know what, you're probably right. :(

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would rather be wrong and see us win, then see us lose and feel vindicated. I'll say that off the top.

Now with that out of the way, I will say this...

1. The subs last night were awful. There's no way around it. Biello brought on Kaye, Oso and Hoilett to close out the game but we ended up needing a goal and none of those players helped in that regard. We can't deny that.

I agree that the subs were, in retrospect, the nail in the coffin - but bad luck played a role in that too, since we weren't even in the coffin when the subs were made.  That said, I think you could make the case that Biello turning to his "veteran closers" at 2 - 2, with over 20 minutes left, was never going to be a good idea.   

I think this conversation is starting to get close to the hyperbole levels that US fans were at regarding Bradley/Altidore in 2017, except the old guard in question here weren't even starters last night (except Borjan, obviously).

Biello's dumb for not putting Ahmed in either game, last night especially, but there's a lot of finger pointing going on towards a trio of players who were only on the pitch for the final 15 minutes. None of them were responsible for the penalty goal that ultimately won Jamaica the game and the tie, and none looked demonstrably worse than the either players they replaced (Osorio for Larin was obviously not a like-for-like so not a direct comparison) or the ones that were still on the field for those 15 minutes.

Yes, the transition needs to come, and it is coming. I'd argue that starting XI shows that it's already underway, even under Biello's super-conservative approach.

17 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I agree that the subs were, in retrospect, the nail in the coffin - but bad luck played a role in that too, since we weren't even in the coffin when the subs were made.  That said, I think you could make the case that Biello turning to his "veteran closers" at 2 - 2, with over 20 minutes left, was never going to be a good idea.   

Well put!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...