Mark-Anthony Kaye

Dub Narcotic

What I like about Kaye is his engine and ability to cover a lot of ground in the midfield as well as his ability to play a decisive pass quickly on the counter.  What I don’t like about him is his ability to retain the ball under pressure, his propensity for bonehead give aways, and his only so so ability to combined in tight spaces alla Osorio.  However, if we assume we are going to be playing a 4 man midfield with 2 of Davies, Laryea and Buchanan on the wings, then I think you need a Kaye or Kone (as Hutch is unlikely to be 90’ fit) beside Eustaquio as that second midfielder needs to cover a lot of ground.  And if we assume we won’t have a lot of possession and will play on the counter, someone with Kate’s skills to cover a lot of ground and release a decisive pass to the wings or over the top to David is very useful.  
Piette can come into late in a game to make a 3 man midfield when you are protecting a lead; and Osorio can come in for the last 30 minutes when you need a goal and the other sides midfield is tiring (or against a side that has a less physical/fast midfield). Or you play Osorio underneath David and sit Larin/Ugbo in sort of a 8/10 role which he played so effectively against Mexico away but you would still need a Kaye or Kone beside Eustaquio behind him

On 9/18/2022 at 1:20 PM, Kadenge said:

It was a  few seasons ago but   Kaye was an MLS all star  at LAFC and had a couple of very strong seasons there. He just needs to get some of that form back again.

It's been a while since we've seen top form from Kaye. He's also had a big injury since those All-star seasons.

Unfortunately, his current form could just be his new normal. I hope not, but realistically, it could be.

6 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

It's been a while since we've seen top form from Kaye. He's also had a big injury since those All-star seasons.

Unfortunately, his current form could just be his new normal. I hope not, but realistically, it could be.

The injury stuff is what concerned me about him even during his LAFC breakthrough days.  Like you, I'm hoping that his form now is not the new normal.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Ivan said:

I'll give Laryea a pass for one poor (very poor) game, but Kaye has been consistently poor since his return from injury.

Looking like a pretty disappointing trade for both players involved as I see that Priso is once again honing his ass groove in his seat on the bench vs FC Dallas this afternoon.

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Fuck anyone who brings this shit into sport.  What to tear him a new one for making a stupid decision? So be it.  He is a pro athlete and criticism comes with the territory.   But this shit is unacceptable.   

It's not real. Read Sam Cooper

In fact, I can guarantee you that there have been people on this forum over the past few years who have been posting solely for the reason to create disruption and division 

We as a country need to educate ourselves and get real about the amount of foreign interference that has purposely and strategically made its when in to every aspect of our society and culture. Simple put, divide and conquer. Oldest trick in the book and it's made all that more affective with social media 

Edited by SpursFlu

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

In fact, I can guarantee you that there have been people on this forum over the past few years who have been posting solely for the reason to create disruption and division 

We as a country need to educate ourselves and get real about the amount of foreign interference that has purposely and strategically made its when in to every aspect of our society and culture. Simple put, divide and conquer. Oldest trick in the book and it's made all that more affective with social media 

I don't even know what is being said about Kaye, but I have to give the like to you here. We have been whistling past the grave yard on this one. People don't want to hear it though, they would rather stick their heads in the sand. Especially no one wants to hear it on a soccer board. People come here to mentally escape from the problems of the world, not to be reminded of them. Things have gone so far precisely because of that mentality, however. 

Anyway, I will shut up now. Yay World Cup! 

This Is Fine GIF

:)

Ah I see what was said now. That's disgusting.

Perhaps anecdotal, but I don't know any white supremacists who are soccer fans. Matter fact, I don't know any white supremacists at all, but I do know that most people will assume (without question) that this is a real person and not a bot or person paid to sow discontent. They will then be outraged at how such disgusting racism can be prevalent in 2022. 

In today's geopolitical climate, where information has been weaponized, I think people need to at least question (even if only for a split second) whether shit like this is actually real and genuine. 

Excuse my naiveté, but to me anyone who is both:

1. one of the tens of thousands of people that knows what Mark-Anthony Kaye did during a Canada match
  2. sending him racial abuse on line, whether directly or through a bot or proxy

is also both a follower of Canadian soccer and a racist. There's a lot of mental hoops one needs to jump through to imagine otherwise.

There's not a lot of division to be sown by heaping abuse on one of the less-known players on what is still a niche sport in this country.

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

This is nonsense and offensive to MAK situation. Telling a guy who is getting racially abused that his abuse is not real walks a tight line of condoning racism. Quoting sam cooper in sports is not an equal comparison.  

What is this group or person trying to divide and conquer. The CMNT? How does being racist to one player divide the CMNT- it actually would unify them against the common threat of racism. Divide canadians in general? How would this do that other than by dividing us into racists and non racists. It doesnt actually divide us any more than we already are. 

What are they trying to accomplish aka conquer by posting racist remarks. Getting CMNT to play poorly in the next qualifying game? A poor showing months later at a WC? 

Once you identify which group is being divided here, and then identify what is being conquered, can you then let us know which foreign entity is responsible for this and what their motivation is?  

I assume that you feel educated on matters like this and that its the majority of other canadians who need an education? If we need to get educated on matters like this, please educate me with details surrounding your claim. 

The last few posts have been fascinating.

To summarize:

1) MAK goes public about racial abuse.
2) This racial abuse is "not real" because it most likely comes from a "foreign power".
3) People fail to see this because they stick their heads in the sand.

Items 2 and 3 do not compute.  I'm not disputing the fact that foreign powers meddle with certain populaces and will even grant that that has been ratched up five or six notches over the last 32 months.  Nor am I disputing the fact that people will ignore this for convenience sake.

However, isn't immediately trying to point a finger at some "other" rather than recognize that this (racism) might actually be a problem in our society and deal with it head on the same as sticking your head in the sand?  Does it make people more comfortable to blame something like this on China or Russia rather than have to come to grips that there are Canadians who are bad people?

It is interesting how quickly the one wanted to change the narrative.

Also, I spent time on a Millwall messageboard in the Serioux/Simpson era.  I can confirm that white supremacists can in fact enjoy soccer.

2 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Does it make people more comfortable to blame something like this on China or Russia rather than have to come to grips that there are Canadians who are bad people?

For some people yes. I think it's shocking that people can be racist now a days, but they can be. It's extremely sad, but it is absolutely true. 

5 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

However, isn't immediately trying to point a finger at some "other" rather than recognize that this (racism) might actually be a problem in our society and deal with it head on the same as sticking your head in the sand? 

Also very true!

I didn't even know how to address some of these comments above.  All I can add is that it doesn't matter whether or not MAK is playing well for club and country.  But:

1) He is an incredibly nice human being.

2) He was racially abused after his red card.

And this should not be ignored.  Especially if the player that receives the racism and hate has struggled in dealing with it.