WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

6 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

I like that we don't have a random English accent calling the games. Every MLS market has their token English guy in play by play. Pathetic. 

Wheeler is fine. Dunfield is actually good.  We need that passion and Pro Canadian bias. 

Wheeler is okay as a quirky analyst but as a dorky sounding play by play guy I think it turns people off. It might be forgivable if he added some insight but he’s not very knowledgeable. 

5 hours ago, VinceA said:

On OneSoccer they showed tweets from Suriname fans going off on Platt and Wheeler lmao.

Sidenote: Does anyone actually like Wheeler on commentary? Him and Dunfield for me have to be the worst commentary duo in Canadian soccer broadcasting at the moment. 

That OneSoccer commercial with Dunfield's laugh after Cavallini's goal haunts my dreams.

I have grown to enjoy his play by play, it's distinct and like Kent mentioned, I notice when he's commentating unlike Luke Wileman or the guys that do TSN's Whitecaps games. 

4 hours ago, Atlantic said:

That was Pierre McGuire levels of bad for ruining a call 

Pierre McGuire is a different level of bad, he is a late 1980s/early 1990s local broadcaster for the Philadelphia Flyers/Pittsburgh Penguins, homer type bad.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

I like them. I like the Dunfield laugh after Cavalinni's goal. It's how I felt when that goal happened and when I see the replay that laugh brings me right back into that moment. They are both passionate and it comes through and I enjoy that. A lot of people in the sports media business are boring. Not offensively so, but you watch them talk about something and it all seems fine but if you stop and think "what did he just say" it's usually not much of anything. The Wheeler jokes are corny but lovable in my opinion. Novak? Yesvak! works for me. I like Luke Wileman quite a bit, but I couldn't quote anything he has said. It's nice to have a character calling games and/or on a talk show like One Soccer Today.

All that being said, to play devil's advocate I hate that guy that screams like he has been stabbed in the heart whenever he sees Messi score and then goes on and on about throwing toasters in bathtubs or whatever. He is a more extreme version of Wheeler, so I guess I can understand how Wheeler annoys lots of people.

Magisterial! Ray Hudson is definitely the worst. 

I see too many posts not sounding so confident in this game and I get it in big games we seem to choke (Haiti at last Gold Cup). However, Suriname will have little chemistry and and I don't see any attacking threats that scare. We also have two elite players on our side that I believe will both show up in this game. Hoping Davies plays the way he did in Canada vs the USA when we defeated them. Overall, I feel more confident then most people on here, I believe the guys will get it done based on talent and chemistry!

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Wheeler is okay as a quirky analyst but as a dorky sounding play by play guy I think it turns people off. It might be forgivable if he added some insight but he’s not very knowledgeable. 

Once I know who the players are, I usually hit the mute with the commentary.  Just my own preference.  If anything, I prefer the traditional one person in the booth because two in there makes the situation seem like they are both getting paid by the word without any genuine insight.  Most two person booth just create distraction.

I've heard Wheeler once and that was enough for me but the other people who like him can fill their boots, by all means.

Love Kristian Jack but also love James Sharman. Always have but then again I have also loved De Vos on commentary.

But anyways back to the match itself on hand, Canada if we beat Aruba, we basically have to win or draw. Either way we are in. But rather play for a draw because if we do that and Suriname have the same amount of points, we still go through on superior goal difference. But if we go for the win, it just makes our lives easier.

But I know I'm going to keep my eyes open on the results for Suriname vs Bermuda, that's for sure.

10 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

...However, Suriname will have little chemistry and and I don't see any attacking threats that scare....

What do Gullit, Rijkard, Kluivert, Seedorf, Hasselbaink, Davids and Winter have in common? There's a reason why Dutch players declaring for Suriname sounds very alarming to people.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What do Gullit, van Rijkard, Kluivert, Seedorf, Hasselbaink, Davids and Winter have in common? There's a reason why Dutch players declaring for Suriname sounds very alarming to people.

Yeah because all those great players are Surinamese and Suriname keep producing footballers so that being said like I've said before their team worries me and has worried me for the longest time

28 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I don't mind Wheeler, but he can get too "cheerleady".  His calls of running up the score against Caymans were a bit embarrassing.  I actually liked Adam Jenkins during OQ.

I do like Jenkins you can see he's still figuring things out but he has the voice and the passion for it. I'd much rather him over Wheeler for Canada games.

40 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Back to the game there seems to be a lot of talk about Suriname's defence without mentioning their keeper. This could be a weak spot for them as their keeper is Anderlecht's 3rd string and didn't play a match all season. 

Like our squad in this round, he has not been tested yet. A lot of unknowns on both sides...Canada not in terms of individuals but collectively.

52 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Back to the game there seems to be a lot of talk about Suriname's defence without mentioning their keeper. This could be a weak spot for them as their keeper is Anderlecht's 3rd string and didn't play a match all season. 

If you had to pick a spot on the field to have someone who hasn't played but is experienced wouldn't it be GK? I mean Hahn is 6'6" has played 100ish Eredivisie games and likely has quality having been signed by Anderlecht(and thus has trained with them). I think he would probably make Canada as a 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

If you had to pick a spot on the field to have someone who hasn't played but is experienced wouldn't it be GK? I mean Hahn is 6'6" has played 100ish Eredivisie games and likely has quality having been signed by Anderlecht(and thus has trained with them). I think he would probably make Canada as a 3rd. 

Yes to all of the above but it isn't an ideal situation. I wouldn't be overly excited if Leutwiler was starting for us right now.

So after 18/19 months since our last true test v the US, are we a better team?  Our attack should be better with David, Davies & Larin for obvious reasons, although Cav and Hoilett have regressed a bit. Midfield with Eustaquio in and Arfield out is at best even but Oso and Kaye are not in form, so that could be a concern. Our fullbacks are better with Laryea having another season and 1/2 to master his move to FB. Adekugbe has had a strong season for Valerenga. Our CB situation is probably even with Kennedy the wildcard. Borjan=Borjan. Now to bring it on the field and make a statement .. "we have arrived!"

5 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

It’s similar to the eloy room scenario. He was a backup in the eridivisie making no appearances all of 18/19. Had a good gold cup showing to earn an offer from Columbus. So it really is hard to assess a gk based only on their season stats.

Hahn’s resume would suggest he is at least the level of an mls starting gk.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

So after 18/19 months since our last true test v the US, are we a better team?  Our attack should be better with David, Davies & Larin for obvious reasons, although Cav and Hoilett have regressed a bit. Midfield with Eustaquio in and Arfield out is at best even but Oso and Kaye are not in form, so that could be a concern. Our fullbacks are better with Laryea having another season and 1/2 to master his move to FB. Adekugbe has had a strong season for Valerenga. Our CB situation is probably even with Kennedy the wildcard. Borjan=Borjan. Now to bring it on the field and make a statement .. "we have arrived!"

Agree with all of this, save for the bit about Cavallini. His work rate and hold-up play for the Caps has been excellent this year, and I sense he's in fact taking his game up a notch. But, relative to David and Larin, it might appear he's taken a step back only because those two have taken (at least) a couple of steps forward. 

My concern, as stated earlier, is bossing the midfield. We need a true boss. Maybe that'll be Piette, or maybe it'll be a shared role, but leadership in the middle of the pitch is what we need, and without Hutch and Arfield, I am curious to see who will step up.

2 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

In that video with the two dudes talking about the game the Surinamese dude mentioned that that is once area of concern and much of Suriname's fate will rest on his lack of games becoming a factor.

From what he's seen though in training he said he looks sharp.

7 minutes ago, VinceA said:

In that video with the two dudes talking about the game the Surinamese dude mentioned that that is once area of concern and much of Suriname's fate will rest on his lack of games becoming a factor.

From what he's seen though in training he said he looks sharp.

if they are to beat Bermuda (how hilarious will this whole obsessing over Suriname be in hindsight if they somehow lose) let’s hope he is not tested in the least so he is cold for Canada’s front 3!

Edited by trc2014

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

I do like Jenkins you can see he's still figuring things out but he has the voice and the passion for it. I'd much rather him over Wheeler for Canada games.

Jenkins is very plain vanilla for me. And during Olympic qualifying, his homerism became cringey in the last match. 

2 hours ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

My concern, as stated earlier, is bossing the midfield. We need a true boss. Maybe that'll be Piette, or maybe it'll be a shared role, but leadership in the middle of the pitch is what we need, and without Hutch and Arfield, I am curious to see who will step up.

I’m excited for this window for exactly this reason. Every organization has to build capacity and plan for transition and this seems like the perfect window for those not named Hutch or Arfield to step up like you say. The games count and are meaningful and challenging (apart from Aruba) but not too challenging. We know that sooner rather than later we will need to trust a new generation midfield three into the Oct and beyond. These are the auditions. 

8 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

What do Gullit, Rijkard, Kluivert, Seedorf, Hasselbaink, Davids and Winter have in common? There's a reason why Dutch players declaring for Suriname sounds very alarming to people.

Sure, if you provide base level analysis that barely scratches beneath the surface like that, then yes, I can see why some people find it alarming. However, when you look at the type of Dutch players of Surinamese background committing, their age, overall profile, any alarming factor ceases.