WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

My anxiety over this game has gone up a bit in the last week since we're over analyzing Suriname so much but here's how I look at it. If no one gets hurt, we'll have a very in form Larin, David, and Davies for them to deal with all game. I just can't see them getting shut down, their defenders being better than our means nothing when our forwards are so much better than theirs. Plus Eustaquio in the midfield makes me feel better about Atiba and Scotty missing. I now kinda wish the game was tomorrow instead to get it over with already though.

Also on the subject of commentators, I actually have trouble listening to games if there AREN'T British commentators, soccer just sounds natural with them talking over the game lol. The Germans who call Bundesliga games sometimes are also ok. I don't mind the Whitecaps guys but the Americans (and some Canadians) are unbearable to listen to, they don't have to yell the whole time.

8 minutes ago, lamptern said:

From what I've seen the second half of Surinam vs Bermuda, I am confident that Canada will beat them 2:0 or 3:1

I’m confident that we will beat Suriname but the second half of that match was not a good gauge - Suriname was playing with no intensity and were in cruise control.

36 minutes ago, Bdog said:

Also on the subject of commentators, I actually have trouble listening to games if there AREN'T British commentators, soccer just sounds natural with them talking over the game lol. The Germans who call Bundesliga games sometimes are also ok. I don't mind the Whitecaps guys but the Americans (and some Canadians) are unbearable to listen to, they don't have to yell the whole time.

I personally will always prefer to watch the game in French, overall I just find the majority of french announcers quite excellent all around. Especially when they start discussing tactics, formations, pressure and breakdown of the game. 

I am fortunate to have a french speaking mother and english speaking father so fluent in both languages. 

The majority of English(British) accent announcers I find quite overated, that's just my opinion.  

As for the upcoming games, do we know who will be calling them? 

Edited by apbsmith

We need more French language options in OneSoccer and CanPL in general.

I detest listening to Wheeler but I respect the work he's put into covering the local game and the genuine enthusiasm he has. I just plan on muting him. I can deal with him if it's just Bermuda but I can't stand the thought of watching a do-or-die game turn sour listening to his bullshittery

6 hours ago, apbsmith said:

I personally will always prefer to watch the game in French, overall I just find the majority of french announcers quite excellent all around. Especially when they start discussing tactics, formations, pressure and breakdown of the game.  

Fewer cliches aimed at fans with an IQ of around 90 would definitely help. I often prefer non-English language commentary I don't understand just so I can tune it out and focus on the game, but will give French feeds a try in future to see if I find them better.

Was finding it difficult to get too worried about a team that have Nigel Hasselbaink (Jimmy Floyd's nephew but Scottish journalists initially thought he might have been lying about that after having seen him play in the SPFL so tracked down the more famous Hasselbaink who confirmed he had met him at family weddings) as their main attacking threat but adding Sheraldo Becker from Union Berlin to the mix in front of a midfield with Tjaronn Chery is starting to look more concerning.

2 hours ago, spinrack said:

Suriname thumped Bermuda, but they did not do enough to earn the tie-breaker.
All Canada has to do is win (by any amount) against Aruba, and they will advance with either a win or a draw against Suriname.

Looking forward to today's game that's for sure

I’ve watched Patrice Bernier on one of the French language channels that telecast the Montreal MLS games and while my French is not that good you don’t have to fully understand French to see that he is excellent. Unfortunately compared to DeGuzman who works on the TSN MLS telecasts there is no comparison. DeGuzman is having a rough time of it on TSN so far , but Bernier is a natural and really good.

15 hours ago, Floortom said:

I’m confident that we will beat Suriname but the second half of that match was not a good gauge - Suriname was playing with no intensity and were in cruise control.

Maybe, but they had everything in their favour to score a few more and force us to get more than a bare 1-goal win over Aruba. 

Important point: they played mostly starters, meaning they'll have had less rest than us. Perhaps, indeed, that was the reason for how they managed the 2nd half. 

Repeat: we'll be more rested. 

58 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I’ve watched Patrice Bernier on one of the French language channels that telecast the Montreal MLS games and while my French is not that good you don’t have to fully understand French to see that he is excellent. Unfortunately compared to DeGuzman who works on the TSN MLS telecasts there is no comparison. DeGuzman is having a rough time of it on TSN so far , but Bernier is a natural and really good.

My impression has been that De Guzman's analysis and tactics have been good. He's just not quite there yet when it comes to his delivery. Being on camera is harder than many people think. 

5 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Team Suriname is already in Chicago, from the speed I assume they flew on a charter

Crazy fast. Has to be a charter. The distance non-stop is the same as Montreal to England.

That's at least a 6½ hour flight in a charter.

You know where that money is coming from (well, at least some of it)? The fans and corporate "sponsons"!

I shit you not, Suriname held a telethon for the team back in early May!

https://www.srherald.com/sport/2021/05/15/srd-600-000-opgehaald-ten-behoeve-van-natio-dream/

They raised the equivalent of $52 000 CAD.

McDonald's gave them about ~$1700 CAD !

"For only $1 a day, you can make sure no Suriname player has to be subjected to the ordeal of commercial flights in coach with with two layovers to get to Chicago. Call now. Give generously and we can eradicate the scourge that is an overnight layover in Miami."

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

9 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Crazy fast. Has to be a charter. The distance non-stop is the same as Montreal to England.

That's at least a 6½ hour flight in a charter.

You know where that money is coming from (well, at least some of it)? The fans and corporate "sponsons"!

I shit you not, Suriname held a telethon for the team back in early May!

https://www.srherald.com/sport/2021/05/15/srd-600-000-opgehaald-ten-behoeve-van-natio-dream/

They raised the equivalent of $52 000 CAD.

McDonald's gave them about ~$1700 CAD !

"For only $1 a day, you can make sure no Suriname player has to be subjected to the ordeal of commercial flights in coach with with two layovers to Chicago. Call now. Give generously."

I would really like to understand the rationale for having this match in Chicago and not Florida. It still makes absolutely no sense to me - did we assume that Suriname was going to do the 20 hour flight with multiple stopovers?! 

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I would really like to understand the rationale for having this match in Chicago and not Florida. It still makes absolutely no sense to me - did we assume that Suriname was going to do the 20 hour flight with multiple stopovers?! 

No matter the travel Canada’s belief is that they will play better in the cooler weather.

4 minutes ago, Big_M said:

very scary situation..they are coming in with a lot of high level players and beat bermuda 6-0 that we beat 5-1..and our central midfield situation doesnt look good with piette osorio fraser as subs or playing little in their club and kaye not doing well with lafc..the 2022 dream could very well end in a few days

Bermuda sent a stronger squad in March though.

We also beat Caymans 11-0 and Suriname could only muster a 3-0 result