WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

5 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

Said this a few times but want to reiterate; Larin really hasn't looked good at CF this year. All of his success has come from the wing. Really think Davies-David-Larin with Cav up front would be better.

I don't think we're going to run 3 centre forwards, even if Larin has played on the wing. We have no one that can play that final pass. The obvious partnership is Larin and David. Cav sits and/or plays in the Aruba game with Wotherspood, Oso or Hoilett fighting for that final attacking mid spot.

Edited by PopePouri

9 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I don't think we're going to run 3 centre forwards, even if Larin has played on the wing. We have no one that can play that final pass. The obvious partnership is Larin and David. Cav sits and/or plays in the Aruba game with Wotherspood, Oso or Hoilett fighting for that final attacking mid spot.

Hard disagree... Davies is very capable of making that final pass, and David's playmaking abilities are underrated. One of Kaye/Steph should be making runs forward too. If you put Larin or David up front (or both like you suggested), you're dramatically reducing the chance that they'll score. They're just not equipped to create their own space. We have 2 great scoring talents... let's put them in a position to do what they do best instead of hoping they show a completely new skillset.

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

Unless we go 4-2-3-1

1 hour ago, PiedPilko said:

Hard disagree... Davies is very capable of making that final pass, and David's playmaking abilities are underrated. One of Kaye/Steph should be making runs forward too. If you put Larin or David up front (or both like you suggested), you're dramatically reducing the chance that they'll score. They're just not equipped to create their own space. We have 2 great scoring talents... let's put them in a position to do what they do best instead of hoping they show a completely new skillset.

I probably worded it poorly when I didn't think anyone could play the final pass. What I really meant that there is no natural player that will play in between the lines in possession. Typically those players are creative enough to play that final pass.

A word about the strikers. David has played in a two striker system with no issues in multiple centre forward roles. Larin scored 4 leading the line in one game, and hattrick coming off the wing. They are high quality and highly adaptable.

Edited by PopePouri

5 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

I probably worded it poorly when I didn't think anyone could play the final pass. What I really meant that there is no natural player that will play in between the lines in possession. Typically those players are creative enough to play that final pass.

A word about the strikers. David has played in a two striker system with no issues in multiple centre forward roles. Larin scored 4 leading the line in one game, and hattrick coming off the wing. They are high quality and highly adaptable.

Going back and forth with Surinamese fans on IG but it was actually pretty funny to say the least because they seem that confident that they can beat Canada

8 hours ago, Ansem said:

Needs to be Kennedy - Vitoria. Can't handle watching Henry there in such an important game

I hope Kennedy is as good as we’re hoping he is but it scares me to start him in such a big game. I’m sure not many people calling for him to start have ever actually seen the guy play, I know I haven’t. With defenders, you tend to remember all the mistakes you see them make instead of all the good plays you see. If we had seen as much of Kennedy as we have of Henry, maybe our opinions of him wouldn’t be so high.

6 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I hope Kennedy is as good as we’re hoping he is but it scares me to start him in such a big game. I’m sure not many people calling for him to start have ever actually seen the guy play, I know I haven’t. With defenders, you tend to remember all the mistakes you see them make instead of all the good plays you see. If we had seen as much of Kennedy as we have of Henry, maybe our opinions of him wouldn’t be so high.

He's definitely had his problems this year... he'll have games where he just can't seem to make a pass, and he has this habit of misplaying balls to the keeper. He's very solid defensively though, and he has a ton of pace on top of that. None of our options are perfect...

26 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

He's definitely had his problems this year... he'll have games where he just can't seem to make a pass, and he has this habit of misplaying balls to the keeper. He's very solid defensively though, and he has a ton of pace on top of that. None of our options are perfect...

He’s had a habit of misplaying balls to a keeper? Excuse me? We do have Borjan as our keeper right? 

1 hour ago, Club Linesman said:

Let’s hope we don’t get to see Borjan freaking the hell out on Kennedy.  

Dont kid yourself, for some guys, the poor CB will have a permanent stain on him forever.  

Thats what scares me about having Kennedy's first games be so crucial.  No familiarity...wasnt Godinho only on his 2-3 cap when he had his mix up with Borjan?? Haha, no pressure Scott.

But could you imagine if Suriname lost to Bermuda? Or God forbid even draw against Bermuda? It would make Canada's job a whole lot easier if you really think about it. But Suriname obviously will beat Bermuda anyway and it will come down to final matchday and honestly that's what I want. High stakes. Everything on the line because it will determine just what kind of team we have especially when we have to play in big game situations with high stakes involved. Our most meaningful game in I don't know how long. 

My new updated XI against Suriname after they announced the 23 man squad, it of course being:

GK- Borjan (captain)

LB- Adekugbe

CB- Vitoria

CB- Kennedy

RB- Johnston

CDM- Eustaquio

LCM- Piette

RCM- Wotherspoon

LW- Davies

CF- Cavallini

RW- David

10 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

My Suriname lineup.

LINEUP111622377089723.png

Only change I would make is Henry for Vitoria. I think fitness will be key for Suriname. 

I can see Herdman being a little more conservative and going with David at the 9, dropping Cavallini out of the 11 and bringing in Wotherspoon in the middle. 

17 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Unless we go 4-2-3-1

This, yes. 

Touched on it, in the other thread. 

If that's the case our 2 DMs are likely Eustaquio paired with either Mak-Piette- Wotherspoon. 

My understanding is Mak hasn't been in the best of form so far this season. Piette isn't eating up minutes like he use to be.  Wotherspoon put together together a no nonsense excellent season.

I don't really put Wotherspoon as a true DM but very flexible and experienced, which we've seen our gaffer loves the rotating formations when attacking/defending. 

Will be interesting to see what the boss goes with. 

13 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

But could you imagine if Suriname lost to Bermuda? Or God forbid even draw against Bermuda? It would make Canada's job a whole lot easier if you really think about it.

If Suriname draw against Bermuda, it doesn't really make our jobs easier, unless we also draw Aruba. Right now we have a far superior goal difference than Suriname (6 goals better). If we assume we are able to beat Aruba, we would be on 9 points, and Suriname would be on 9 points with a win over Bermuda, or 7 points with a draw against Bermuda. Either way, if they beat us, they are in, and if we draw them, we are in. If Suriname loses to Bermuda and we beat Aruba, then our game against Suriname would be all but meaningless. If we only beat Aruba by 1 goal, and Suriname loses to Bermuda by 1 goal Suriname would have to beat us by at least 4 goals to overtake us.

So the only results that between Suriname and Bermuda that would be relevant would be either a HUGE win for Suriname (like 7+ goals) or a loss. Anything in between means very little to us, unless we don't take care of business against Aruba.

7 hours ago, Kent said:

If Suriname draw against Bermuda, it doesn't really make our jobs easier, unless we also draw Aruba. Right now we have a far superior goal difference than Suriname (6 goals better). If we assume we are able to beat Aruba, we would be on 9 points, and Suriname would be on 9 points with a win over Bermuda, or 7 points with a draw against Bermuda. Either way, if they beat us, they are in, and if we draw them, we are in. If Suriname loses to Bermuda and we beat Aruba, then our game against Suriname would be all but meaningless. If we only beat Aruba by 1 goal, and Suriname loses to Bermuda by 1 goal Suriname would have to beat us by at least 4 goals to overtake us.

So the only results that between Suriname and Bermuda that would be relevant would be either a HUGE win for Suriname (like 7+ goals) or a loss. Anything in between means very little to us, unless we don't take care of business against Aruba.

Yeah on all those scenarios I agree with you but I'm just hoping Suriname either loses or draws with Bermuda and then we beat Aruba...yeah we beat Aruba we go to 9 points and Suriname if they lose against Bermuda...they would still have 6 points but on a draw with Bermuda it gives them 7 points 

Because then on the final match day if we draw with Suriname...it would give them 8 points and us 10 points or if we win then it would give us 12 points, we're in either way

But this is only if this scenario comes to pass

However, it is like in a sense we have to depend on Bermuda for help in a sense

4 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah on all those scenarios I agree with you but I'm just hoping Suriname either loses or draws with Bermuda and then we beat Aruba...yeah we beat Aruba we go to 9 points and Suriname if they lose against Bermuda...they would still have 6 points but on a draw with Bermuda it gives them 7 points 

Because then on the final match day if we draw with Suriname...it would give them 8 points and us 10 points or if we win then it would give us 12 points, we're in either way

But this is only if this scenario comes to pass

However, it is like in a sense we have to depend on Bermuda for help in a sense

As has been pointed out a few times already, a Suriname win against Bermuda is the same as a draw. Either way, a draw against Suriname gets us through, either by points or by goal difference. If Suriname beats Bermuda and we beat Aruba, we’ll be tied on points with 9 but we currently have +6 goal difference. So unless they beat Bermuda by 7 or more, it doesn’t matter.

Edited by archer21