WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

I think success versus Suriname is going to come down to the midfield.  We need to boss the midfield, but in the absence of Arfield and Hutch, who will be the boss?  My feeling is that we do not have a single boss ready to own the midfield, so it is going to have to be a collective effort.  I wish Kaye was the guy, but he often gets caught way too high up the pitch. Piette brings the defensive rasp, but we also need a guy who can move the ball and connect with the front three. I would love if Eustaquio was our guy in the middle, but can he truly be the boss? (Over time, sure, but he's still new to the program.)  

I know we don't want any frigging with the formation, but for the reasons above I feel we need to play with four in the middle, perhaps with Kaye and Eustaquio bossing the centre of the pitch for most of the game, bringing on Piette as necessary.  

6 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I think success versus Suriname is going to come down to the midfield.  We need to boss the midfield, but in the absence of Arfield and Hutch, who will be the boss?  My feeling is that we do not have a single boss ready to own the midfield, so it is going to have to be a collective effort.  I wish Kaye was the guy, but he often gets caught way too high up the pitch. Piette brings the defensive rasp, but we also need a guy who can move the ball and connect with the front three. I would love if Eustaquio was our guy in the middle, but can he truly be the boss? (Over time, sure, but he's still new to the program.)  

I know we don't want any frigging with the formation, but for the reasons above I feel we need to play with four in the middle, perhaps with Kaye and Eustaquio bossing the centre of the pitch for most of the game, bringing on Piette as necessary.  

Yeah in a 4-2-3-1 easily you can slot Eustaquio with Kaye or Piette as your 2 central defensive midfielders playing in front of your back four or you could go with Eustaquio and Wotherspoon together 

Another thing, I am going to pour some cold water on the Surname comparisons with other established concacaf teams.

We have been very impressed with their call ups, and rightly so, but I am looking at the Honduras selection for Nations League right now and feeling a little silly now for even comparing them.

These Honduran guys, who I dislike very much, at least have my respect for what they've been able to do with a so-called modest squad. They repeatedly get to the Olympics (ahead of USA and Canada) with domestic based players, who then graduate to the senior team and give it a solid core, and then we have the guts to suggest these guys are falling off because they don't have many players thriving in Europe? I am sorry, but that's just dumb. 

Suriname may have an impressive roster (for concacaf) on paper, but there's no way Honduras wouldn't be massive favorites. They are a team that has achieved things together. Suriname have achieved nothing.

And if Canada is as good as Honduras, which we all convince ourselves of, how are we not massive favorites against Suriname? 

Suriname have the ingredients to create something delicious, but first they need to enter the kitchen and withstand the heat. Our core has been playing games together since 2018, including high pressure matches against the USA (twice) and Haiti.

We should be more prepared for this than Suriname, and I believe we are. Let's get it boys. 

Edited by Obinna

This sort of reminds me of the time we faced French Guiana in the 2017 Gold Cup. We all sort of had a fear that we would blow it but the boys came out and took it to them. 

That French Guiana team wasn't as good on paper but had some players in France's L1 and L2. They also had more experience playing together than this Suriname team. They gave us a bit of a scare but at the end of the match it was a convincing win. Our squad is also much stronger than that 2017 GC team.

So I'll predict a 4-2 victory for Canada.

Going at it on BigSoccer with some Americans and the American fans basically are pulling for us but then there are some of them that say even if we get past Suriname, that Haiti could very well beat us as they brought up 2019 Gold Cup but also the American fans I went at it with were sayin that even though Canada is improving which we are, that we have to get to the Octagonal to even be seen or viewed like we can be a threat. Their words.

12 minutes ago, narduch said:

Anyone think Suriname might bunker? And try to score on the counter?

Or are they so cocky they will be all out attack?

More than likely they will need to win. A tie may be good enough for us.

Although Suriname need a win, I think the pressure is going to be on us to get a result. If I was Suriname's coach I would play to their strength..tight defence. They have some quality up front and could exploit our CBs on the counter as you say. I know some are suggesting we put our foot to the metal...I really hope we don't do this. Yes we have the better forwards but their defenders are way better than ours. Not a good idea to get into a slugfest.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Although Suriname need a win, I think the pressure is going to be on us to get a result. If I was Suriname's coach I would play to their strength..tight defence. They have some quality up front and could exploit our CBs on the counter as you say. I know some are suggesting we put our foot to the metal...I really hope we don't do this. Yes we have the better forwards but their defenders are way better than ours. Not a good idea to get into a slugfest.

I am no formation guru but I could see us using two defensively minded CMs in this game (Eustaquio and Piette for me) to try and make sure we don’t get beat on the counter.  Realistically, we advance if we don’t concede a goal, so I expect defence to be job 1.  

For us, a tie is a perfectly acceptable result and I don’t see us trying to put on some Harlem Globetrotters show in this game.  Herdman has stumbled in a couple of pivotal games in the past so I don’t think he tries for some Guardiolan coaching master stroke in this one.  At least I hope not.  I think he builds a solid defensive team where everyone is drilled on the importance of smart defence and avoiding silly risks.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am no formation guru but I could see us using two defensively minded CMs in this game (Eustaquio and Piette for me) to try and make sure we don’t get beat on the counter.  Realistically, we advance if we don’t concede a goal, so I expect defence to be job 1.  

For us, a tie is a perfectly acceptable result and I don’t see us trying to put on some Harlem Globetrotters show in this game.  Herdman has stumbled in a couple of pivotal games in the past so I don’t think he tries for some Guardiolan coaching master stroke in this one.  At least I hope not.  I think he builds a solid defensive team where everyone is drilled on the importance of smart defence and avoiding silly risks.  

I hope you're right. JH has said he has a few tricks up his sleeve. He always makes me nervous when he says that 😊

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

These Honduran guys, who I dislike very much, at least have my respect for what they've been able to do with a so-called modest squad. They repeatedly get to the Olympics (ahead of USA and Canada) with domestic based players, who then graduate to the senior team and give it a solid core, and then we have the guts to suggest these guys are falling off because they don't have many players thriving in Europe? I am sorry, but that's just dumb. 

And if Canada is as good as Honduras, which we all convince ourselves of, how are we not massive favorites against Suriname? 

My thoughts exactly. 

And are we as good as Honduras though? At least in the context of CONCACAF... sure most of our players come from way better leagues, and our team is worth more, but do they come together as a team as good as Honduras seems to? It is no fluke that they have gone to 3 World Cups, and now back to back Olympics. 

Maybe that's why is stings so much to get bested by them... we truly convince ourselves we are *better*, but when push come to shove, we are shown otherwise. As it stands I still give them the edge to qualify to Qatar over us, regardless of what the team sheet says.

2 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

My thoughts exactly. 

And are we as good as Honduras though? At least in the context of CONCACAF... sure most of our players come from way better leagues, and our team is worth more, but do they come together as a team as good as Honduras seems to? It is no fluke that they have gone to 3 World Cups, and now back to back Olympics

Maybe that's why is stings so much to get bested by them... we truly convince ourselves we are *better*, but when push come to shove, we are shown otherwise. As it stands I still give them the edge to qualify to Qatar over us, regardless of what the team sheet says.

You mean back to back to back to back Olympics (4 straight). They play with purpose and identity but we're on our way.

If we could put it in Canadian layman terms, Honduras plays "playoff hockey".. while we've been the Toronto Maple Leafs for years. We may look good on paper and in friendlies (regular season) but then it comes down to the games that matter and we look average at best.

4 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

You mean back to back to back to back Olympics (4 straight). They play with purpose and identity but we're on our way.

If we could put it in Canadian layman terms, Honduras plays "playoff hockey".. while we've been the Toronto Maple Leafs for years. We may look good on paper and in friendlies (regular season) but then it comes down to the games that matter and we look average at best.

Too soon.  

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Interesting discussion going on between a Suriname fan and a Jamaican about the match, they are talking about the Suriname Bermuda match as well.

They think we have a hole at right back. They will be surprised regardless of whether we go with Johnston or Layrea. They are also under the impression our center midfielders are "alright", but interesting they haven't discussed Osorio at all, just Piette, Eustaquio, Wotherspoon and MAK