WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

Like y'all have stated, it's got everything it takes to be a good match.  I don't know much about the Suriname squad, however a team of solid and balanced veterans from Eredivisie (even with no stars) vs a young promising team with a couple of stars spread out is no slam dunk.  

One can look at this both ways, sure the young guys have great potential for the future, but I also like the odds on a team of Arfields over a team with a couple of 20yr old stars and a major gap at CB.  If Suriname is indeed all from the same league, they could very well gel quickly.  Hard to say. 

1 hour ago, costarg said:

Like y'all have stated, it's got everything it takes to be a good match.  I don't know much about the Suriname squad, however a team of solid and balanced veterans from Eredivisie (even with no stars) vs a young promising team with a couple of stars spread out is no slam dunk.  

One can look at this both ways, sure the young guys have great potential for the future, but I also like the odds on a team of Arfields over a team with a couple of 20yr old stars and a major gap at CB.  If Suriname is indeed all from the same league, they could very well gel quickly.  Hard to say. 

The livestream I shared provides a pretty good scouting report on then, here are some highlights:

- Tjaronn Chery, who plays with Maccabi Haifa, won the Israeli league over the weekend and just arrived at camp. He was the second-last player to arrive after Inter Miami's Kevin Leerdam. Chery apparently comes off the bench for Maccabi Haifa, but almost always scores, so he's a super sub and they were talking about if he'll play that role for Suriname as well. He's an attacking midfielder.

- Kevin Leerdam, they talked about playing him at defensive midfield with 2 attacking midfielders ahead of him. They can afford to do this with Dankerlui (Gorningen) at right back, but that suggests they have a pretty gaping hole at defensive midfield. Recall as well they also played Donk at DM against Cayman.

- Haps, the Feyenoord starting left back, who is new to the Suriname program (like so many others) should have gotten a look into the Dutch team, according to coach Dick Advocaat.

- The back up Anderlecht keeper is their number 1, but since he doesn't play they don't know what to expect (the Suriname fans, I mean). Is he the same guy who played regularly for Heerenveen from 2017-2020 or not?

- Suriname branded as "creative passers", by the host of the live stream.

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

anyone hazard a guess at Suriname’s starting 11?

-----------Hahn----------

Dankerlui--Donk--Pinas--Haps

----------Leerdam--------

-----Donald---Chery/Bisewar 

Becker--te Vrede--Jozefzoon/Hasselbaink

Edit...going to make some updates based on something I learned from that live stream, which is that the Suriname fans don't rate Hasslebaink (compared to who they have now).

-----------Leerdam-------

-------Donald----Chery---

Becker---te Vrede---Bisewar

Edited by Obinna

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

-----------Hahn----------

Dankerlui--Donk--Pinas--Haps

----------Leerdam--------

-----Donald---Chery/Bisewar 

Hasselbaink--te Vrede--Jozefzoon

Solids back like for sure just based on their club situations. After that, it’s a pretty old group. Wonder how much pace they have? Becker would probably otherwise start but hasn’t played much the last 5 months and is just coming back from an injury. 

It’s cliche but we really need that first goal to try and open them up.

2 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Solids back like for sure just based on their club situations. After that, it’s a pretty old group. Wonder how much pace they have? Becker would probably otherwise start but hasn’t played much the last 5 months and is just coming back from an injury. 

It’s cliche but we really need that first goal to try and open them up.

I actually think he will start, I forgot him, but yes his fitness is a concern because he hasn't been playing, so he may just come off the bench against us, especially if they aren't winning. 

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Pretty good but with an aging squad they'll have to rotate the squad between Bermuda and Canada. Will be interesting to see how they manage that.  

I don’t think they can afford to rotate much at all - they don’t have depth and obviusly can’t afford to lose against Bermuda. I would assume they throw an A- squad versus Bermuda while we put out our B squad versus Aruba. Suriname also has an extra days rest over us which is really stupid.

Edited by Floortom

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think they can afford to rotate much at all - they don’t have depth and obviusly can’t afford to lose against Bermuda. I would assume they throw an A- squad versus Bermuda while we put out our B squad versus Aruba. Suriname also has an extra days rest over us which is really stupid.

Seems we'll still have the advantage rest wise once you factor in our average squad age, the fact we'll rest some guys vs. Aruba and the fact Suriname will have to fly from Suriname to Chicago. 

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Seems we'll still have the advantage rest wise once you factor in our average squad age, the fact we'll rest some guys vs. Aruba and the fact Suriname will have to fly from Suriname to Chicago. 

The fact that we can have heavy squad rotation makes a big difference but I'm still not sure why we didnt schedule that second match for Florida so it would have eliminated any travel for us. 

9 minutes ago, Floortom said:

The fact that we can have heavy squad rotation makes a big difference but I'm still not sure why we didnt schedule that second match for Florida so it would have eliminated any travel for us. 

I complained about that initially as well but the flight from Florida to Chicago is nothing. Suriname's travel is extremely difficult. If they haven't chartered a plane they're likely looking at a 19H + trip with multiple stopovers. 

Since Suriname (in all likelihood) can't catch us on GD, they don't actually have to beat Bermuda (since they have to beat us no matter what)

EDIT: To clarify, they still need to at least draw. If they lose to Bermuda and we beat Aruba, then they would need to beat us by likely double digits to finish first. (Unless the first tie breaker is actually head to head. Everyone keeps saying it's GD and I don't doubt it, but I wasn't easily able to find an official source confirming that when I did a quick search)

5 hours ago, frmr said:

I think Suriname could score. They've scored a lot on set pieces and corners this tournament and we don't exactly have the most reliable centerbacks. I do think we'll win because our attack is just too strong, even though they have a solid defense. 2-1 Canada

The crazy thing is in their 3-0 win against the Cayman Islands one goal was a Penalty shot the other was a set piece they were only able to score 1 goal against them from open play now they have upgraded with the additions of Becker and haps but are those two players now going to put them over the edge when they play us?

3 hours ago, Shway said:

By tricks I think he just might setup to attack from the back.
image.png.6638c1375eea82a122d067dce1b19de2.png

Suriname has to come at us guns blazing no?  They essentially have to win, a tie won't be good enough.

I don't think they have to come at us guns blazing. Yes they need a win but they know we can score on them as well. I think they will play it tight until the 70th (unless we score first 🙏) and then open up. If it's 0-0 at that point the pressure is going to be on both teams. A late goal by Suriname ....they have the defense to hold. I want Davies up front for this game. 

Will this game or any of the Canada home games have fans this month?

FWIW 

• 15K surinamese live in america
  • 350k nicaraguans live in america - probably would take a chance at going to see the national team in another state
  • 780k canadians live in america - average american-canuck probably doesn't even know these games exist
  • 1mil+ haitians live in america - most live in NYC area.

just would be awful to have a potential opponent have a "fan dominance" lol

Ps. not worried - this team is built different (then again I thought of that of the Leafs 😬)

9 hours ago, Shway said:

By tricks I think he just might setup to attack from the back.
image.png.6638c1375eea82a122d067dce1b19de2.png

Suriname has to come at us guns blazing no?  They essentially have to win, a tie won't be good enough.

This has real merit, for sure. It forces Suriname down the wings which, if Laryea and Davies remain sharp defensively, will make this a very tough game for Suriname going forward, and will make them vulnerable to the counter.  

Looking forward to these games! Great chance for our guys to take the next step forward.

1 hour ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

This has real merit, for sure. It forces Suriname down the wings which, if Laryea and Davies remain sharp defensively, will make this a very tough game for Suriname going forward, and will make them vulnerable to the counter.  

Looking forward to these games! Great chance for our guys to take the next step forward.

Yeah that and Canada has a lot to prove especially not just to those teams but also proving to other naysayers that Canada just may in fact be at that next level of competing in CONCACAF

Suriname have a lot of speed to burn against us and so I hope Vitoria doesn't play because I don't think he'll be able to keep up. Unless they make sure to cover him and hope his ball playing ability and aerial ability will outshine his lack of pace.

Edited by VinceA

Just now, VinceA said:

Suriname have a lot of speed to burn against us and so I hope Vitoria doesn't play because I don't think he'll be able to keep up. Unless they make sure to cover him and hope his ball playing ability and aerial ability will outshine his lack of pace.

Yeah I’m a bit worried about this as well. Presumably our starting CBs will be Henry and Vitoria, just because of their experience and familiarity with the team. That is scary though if you expect (as I do) that we’ll be on the front foot and they’ll be looking to counter quickly. Maybe Kennedy plays alongside Henry, but that would take a lot of guts from Herdman considering he hasn’t played for Canada at all to date.

10 minutes ago, archer21 said:

Yeah I’m a bit worried about this as well. Presumably our starting CBs will be Henry and Vitoria, just because of their experience and familiarity with the team. That is scary though if you expect (as I do) that we’ll be on the front foot and they’ll be looking to counter quickly. Maybe Kennedy plays alongside Henry, but that would take a lot of guts from Herdman considering he hasn’t played for Canada at all to date.

I figure Vitoria starts against Aruba, and maybe subs in vs Suriname if we're just defending a lead and need height on set pieces.

I'm very interested to see how Becker fares against Davies and Adekugbe, he's the 3rd fastest player in the Bundesliga and reports say he's very motivated after coming back from his injury.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

That's not the impression I get from them, Becker aside of course. We will know more when we tune in to watch them play Bermuda tomorrow.