WCQ: Canada vs Suriname - Tuesday, June 8th, 9:05pm Eastern/6:05pm Pacific - SeatGeek Stadium, Chicago

1 hour ago, archer21 said:

As has been pointed out a few times already, a Suriname win against Bermuda is the same as a draw. Either way, a draw against Suriname gets us through, either by points or by goal difference. If Suriname beats Bermuda and we beat Aruba, we’ll be tied on points with 9 but we currently have +6 goal difference. So unless they beat Bermuda by 7 or more, it doesn’t matter.

They would basically need to beat Bermuda by 10 or more and we only muster a 1 or 2 goal win vs. Aruba.

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah on all those scenarios I agree with you but I'm just hoping Suriname either loses or draws with Bermuda and then we beat Aruba...yeah we beat Aruba we go to 9 points and Suriname if they lose against Bermuda...they would still have 6 points but on a draw with Bermuda it gives them 7 points 

Because then on the final match day if we draw with Suriname...it would give them 8 points and us 10 points or if we win then it would give us 12 points, we're in either way

But this is only if this scenario comes to pass

However, it is like in a sense we have to depend on Bermuda for help in a sense

Well, I tried. I don't know why I tried, but I tried.

On 5/29/2021 at 5:14 PM, TGAA_Star said:

Going back and forth with Surinamese fans on IG but it was actually pretty funny to say the least because they seem that confident that they can beat Canada

Ya I totally agree they are all thinking they’ll beat Canada 2-0,2-1, I did say though I trust our attack against their defence to score more than I do their attack vs our defence.

10 hours ago, Daryn27 said:

Ya I totally agree they are all thinking they’ll beat Canada 2-0,2-1, I did say though I trust our attack against their defence to score more than I do their attack vs our defence.

Yeah I think Canada vs Suriname will be a tight game...a low scoring game if anythin but I would be shocked if Canada do manage to score 3 or more against Suriname.

I’m confused where have all these Suriname fans been over the years? I post one comment on Twitter and get a response from a Suriname fan thinking our only players are “one each in Germany, France and Turkey” and “all the rest play in US and Canada.” Allow me to introduce to you Mr. Laryea. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I’m confused where have all these Suriname fans been over the years? I post one comment on Twitter and get a response from a Suriname fan thinking our only players are “one each in Germany, France and Turkey” and “all the rest play in US and Canada.” Allow me to introduce to you Mr. Laryea. 

They're certainly a spirited bunch. It's nice to have the perspective of Caribbean fans/ Non North American fans because there's almost no content compared to the US and Mexico (at least that I know of).

Until we win games people are gonna think we suck. Explaing Canada is good is like trying to convince someone Big Foot is real. Until we win meaningful games you might as well save your breath. Case in point, apparently fans of Suriname feel they can look down their nose at us

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I’m confused where have all these Suriname fans been over the years? I post one comment on Twitter...

Imagine how collectively cocky we'd get if we received the boost that they have just gotten over the last 9 months.

They've come out of the woodwork because they believe they can win (which they can).

1 hour ago, Alex said:

It's like the cicadas. Been hiding underground for 17 years only to emerge in a flurry of noisy activity for a few weeks. 

6 more days until the Suriname match. But probably more excited for this match than the Aruba match on Saturday. Why? Canada vs Suriname has higher stakes. We win both matches, we go on to Haiti and really that's all I can think about right now. The thought of facing Haiti again and getting revenge for Gold Cup 2019, 2 years ago and beating them in the home and away playoff.

13 hours ago, Alex said:

I don't know where they've been but I can imagine where they'll be after we crush them.

Yes, Suriname is much improved and we have been burned by so called smaller sides.  

Bottom line: if we can’t at least draw (not even win) against Suriname on a good pitch in a neutral venue, then we are no better off, as a National Team, than we were 10 years ago.  It’s not like we are needing to draw in Mexico or Costa Rica to qualify.

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

They may be better than Costa Rica.

It's tough to say because it's so theoretical but even Transmarkt values them about the Ticos

https://www.transfermarkt.com/world-cup-qualification-concacaf/teilnehmer/pokalwettbewerb/WMQ3

The USA is well above Mexico and Canada is very close to El Tri's valuation, so yeah not much stock we can put into that. 

We can't overlook team chemistry, or lack thereof in Suriname's case, presumably. They can still beat us in a one-off, but how gelled are they as a team? Will they have more fatigue than us, likely not having the chance to rest their top players against Bermuda? 

There are so many unknown factors for Suriname. Travel, they have to cross the Atlantic and then basically do it again (Paramaribo to Chicago is 6+ hours direct). Are these European players used to travelling these distances? Their age, many of the guys they have called are 30+ and subsequently have realized playing for Suriname is their only chance at international football. Team chemistry, is the other question mark, it’s one thing to bring in these players who may or may not be familiar with each other but it all begs the question, has their coach had much time to go over tactics? 

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I expect a hard game. 1-1 or 2-1. I know I’ve said they seem to have short comings on paper but they are decent. The best part will be when it’s over so we will actually know how good they are or aren’t. 

I'm calling it early, this is the new Canada, no mercy, 5-1 minimum, probably 6-1.  2 goals in the first 10 minutes.

5 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

I'm calling it early, this is the new Canada, no mercy, 5-1 minimum, probably 6-1.  2 goals in the first 10 minutes.

I would love it if that was the scoreline for us beating Suriname but realistically I see the game being tight and us either winning 1-0 or 2-1 at least

Having looked at their squad again...

Herdman is NOT exaggerating about how good they are (on paper) by CONCACAF standards. There's a lot of quality there and unlike us it's pretty well spread all over the field.

We have a ton of other advantages: better top-end talent, slightly less travel required, way more chemistry and NT experience. We SHOULD get the result. But we might not.

I expect Suriname to go on a good run in the Gold Cup fwiw

Was thinking about score predictions yesterday....

Here's mine: 2-0 win for Canada

I know a lot of things could happen, but I asked myself what was likely to happen. Then I considered the probabilities...

Is it more likely Suriname score or fail to score: Fail to score.

Is it more likely Canada scores 1 goal or multiple goals: Multiple goals.

I am pretty cautious about this match, so I say 2-0 given those probabilities.