Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

Hardly put a foot wrong today, good to see him score another. It really seems like they a ton of trust  in him now, it’s hard to imagine him not playing the full 90 any time soon. 

On the subject of LB for Canada, I’ve mentioned multiple times before that it’s not the same situation as playing LB for Bayern and I’m not a fan, Bison basically summed up why. It’s one thing having Alaba and Boateng covering for you, it’s another if it’s whoever we have at CB lol. Bayern’s backline is world class and ours is...lower class?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Bayern definately play to his strengths. Most of the time he is free to run wild, knowing his speed will let him recover, and his CB are at home watching the henhouse.  If we expect our Vitoria/Jackovic/Edgar/James/Henry et al to cover for him against decent opposition it will get ugly like against the USA.  A smart coach would realize duplicating these exploits for Canada with our personel just isnt going work.  Play him at LB, but restrain his offensive game, or play at wing with a def LB behind him and sit another winger that Herdman wants to get into the game.  I dont think you can have both...until the CB position improves, and maybe not even then.  

Solution play him at wingback with 3 at the back to provide cover. 

------------henry-vitoria-miller

Laryea-arfield-piette-osorio-davies

----------------cavalinni-david

 

Or

--------zator-james-cornelius

Laryea-piette-osorio-davies

------david-----larin----hoilet 

Any combination of these players seems ideal to me. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well first one leaves out Hoilet, second leaves out Arfield.  I know what your saying, but Herdman wants them all in, thats why he keeps sticking Davies at LB.  It'll end up being a situational thing, which is fine.  Its good to have versatile players like Davies, lareya, Miller that Herdman can move around a bit.  Its a luxury that we havnt had lately.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is actually getting a bit rediculous how high he is being thought of. This article says Swansea tried to sign him at 16 for 3 millions pounds, but couldn't get a work permit. Also says he could go for 100 million pounds and be the highest transferred left back. That would make him a top 10 all time transfer fee. So crazy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5650934/swansea-alphonso-davies-bayern-munich/amp/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

This is actually getting a bit rediculous how high he is being thought of. This article says Swansea tried to sign him at 16 for 3 millions pounds, but couldn't get a work permit. Also says he could go for 100 million pounds and be the highest transferred left back. That would make him a top 10 all time transfer fee. So crazy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5650934/swansea-alphonso-davies-bayern-munich/amp/

The crazy part is that it isn’t actually ridiculous.  When you consider his age and the impact he is having at one of the top teams in the world, he really should be in the mix in those sorts of scenarios.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed- it’s not as crazy as it sounds.  A 19 year old player, top 3 in the world at his position,  at a top 5 club in the world.  Davies is a sensation and the soccer world has noticed.  He’s exceptionally valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bison44 said:

  A smart coach would realize duplicating these exploits for Canada with our personel just isnt going work.  

This is what worries me with Herdman. His recent claim that he was the one who really started the whole "Davies as left back" phenomenon suggests to me that the Sizzle is going to drink his own Kook Aid and think Davies should always play left back.  Our biggest worry with Herdman is that he does not have the tactical experience/talent to effectively lead a men's national team, especially ours. (He is a brilliant promoter, but I worry about his ability to see the game.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, canadasoccer20 said:

Even when the pandemic is done with, Sportsnet and TSN need to broadcast his games still on the main channell, not just on sportsnet world. The best athlete in the country is a soccer player and need to broadcast him! 

It’s funny you got me thinking about a former national team player way back in the day Brian Budd when you mentioned best athlete in Canada. Brian played in the old NASL in the late 1970’s. A decent player mainly a forward . The NASL in the late 1970’s was almost comparable to the present day MLS more or less , well maybe not quite but pretty close. Anyways the American national network ABC had a very popular show that they ran for a few weeks each summer. Where they invited some of the best players from all the major American leagues to participate in different types of made up sports that each player participated in. I think each player had to compete in like 6 different competitions and would score a certain amount of points on  each competition based on where they placed.  Well Brian Budd going against some of the top players from most of the major league sports in the US won the whole competition 4 years in a row . ABC basically stopped inviting him back after he won the 4th. time in a row , mainly because he was a soccer player a sport that back then was not as popular in the US as it is today lol and really hardly any American sports fan even knew who Brian Budd was lol. But ya lol talking about the best athlete in Canada got me thinking about Brian who back in the day was probably one of Canada’s best athletes and North America as well . Good old Brian Budd past away a few years ago but was a decent Canadian soccer player but a great athlete at that!

Edited by SoccMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brian Budd was decent for the level of soccer when he played but for those who have no idea who he is, think of an uber fit Chad Barrett but with worse touch and even worse finishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Imagine if Bayern win the Champions League? Davies' stock would rise even more!

That is true because a lot more teams are gonna want him to play for them but Alphonso is not going to go anywhere. He is going to stay with Bayern for the foreseeable future as he should. It is like ever since he left Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS to go to the Bundesliga to play for Bayern, his stardom has just grown and has become much more recognizable around world football garnering a bigger reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

It is like ever since he left Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS to go to the Bundesliga to play for Bayern, his stardom has just grown and has become much more recognizable around world football garnering a bigger reputation.

Yep, it's almost like that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Brian Budd was decent for the level of soccer when he played but for those who have no idea who he is, think of an uber fit Chad Barrett but with worse touch and even worse finishing.

I just watched the 1978 World Superstars (his first win) on YouTube. You get to choose 7 of the 10 events to compete in and one of the events he skipped was the “soccer slalom” :)

Edited by Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt CBC have a show like that late 70s early 80s? Pros from different sports competing and at the end they had some sort of stair climb race up and down some very tall tower that basically killed everyone.  I'm remembering Ken Reed (skiing), Ben Zambiasi (Ticats), other baseball, hockey etc etc competing in a bunch of events.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt CBC have a show like that late 70s early 80s? Pros from different sports competing and at the end they had some sort of stair climb race up and down some very tall tower that basically killed everyone.  I'm remembering Ken Reed (skiing), Ben Zambiasi (Ticats), other baseball, hockey etc etc competing in a bunch of events.  

I think that was the sort of qualifier for the World Superstars...of course, it was a tv show in its own right but I believe the winners from around the world competed in the World Superstars on ABC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Didnt CBC have a show like that late 70s early 80s? Pros from different sports competing and at the end they had some sort of stair climb race up and down some very tall tower that basically killed everyone.  I'm remembering Ken Reed (skiing), Ben Zambiasi (Ticats), other baseball, hockey etc etc competing in a bunch of events.  

I think that was called "Different Strokes".  Maybe it was "Facts of Life".  Definitely not "The Jeffersons" though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kent said:

I just watched the 1978 World Superstars (his first win) on YouTube. You get to choose 7 of the 10 events to compete in and one of the events he skipped was the “soccer slalom” :)

And to elaborate on this, it's not like the European representatives were all pro soccer players or something. The following sports were represented.

Rugby - Great Britain, New Zealand, Australia
Field Hockey - Netherlands
Water Skiing - USA
Soccer - Canada
American Football - USA x3
Judo - France
Auto Racing - Germany
High Jump - USA
Pole Vault - USA

So exactly 1 soccer player, and he didn't compete in the soccer competition. I wonder if there were 7 events that he thought he was better at than soccer, or whether he thought the Europeans would be better than him at his sport, despite them specializing in something else. Anyways, it worked for him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kent said:

 

So exactly 1 soccer player, and he didn't compete in the soccer competition. I wonder if there were 7 events that he thought he was better at than soccer, or whether he thought the Europeans would be better than him at his sport, despite them specializing in something else. Anyways, it worked for him!

My recollection was that you weren’t allowed to compete in your own sport for obvious reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fire this thing up again.  Davies, Usain Bolt, Antonio Brown, JJ WaTT, Zatlan, Federer, Connar Macgregor, Micheal Phelps, Kevin Durant Ovechkin, McDavid and Rich Froning.  TSN doesnt have anything else on.  Davies would clean house. I can see him lifting the atlas stones against Rory mcelroy and Brad Gushue.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

https://www.whoscored.com/Articles/lv_lN4e_tkG20tBkYfSe_g/Show/Kimmich-Havertz-and-Werner-star-as-Bundesliga-Team-of-the-Month-returns

Made the whoscored team of the month. 3rd highest rated player behind Kimmich and Werner.

The writer calls Davies "the best left back in the game." Don't know if he's talking German soccer or soccer, period, but high praise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 6:29 PM, Snowcrash said:

Brian Budd was decent for the level of soccer when he played but for those who have no idea who he is, think of an uber fit Chad Barrett but with worse touch and even worse finishing.

So he never even registered one goal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...