The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

On the Sportsnet broadcast the commentators mentioned it would be tragic if Davies was not able to perform on the biggest stage " the world cup" and  the challenge for Canada. I think someone told them that we are co-hosting in 2026....cause they later stated that he would be there in 2026.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

On the Sportsnet broadcast the commentators mentioned it would be tragic if Davies was not able to perform on the biggest stage " the world cup" and  the challenge for Canada. I think someone told them that we are co-hosting in 2026....cause they later stated that he would be there in 2026.

That was a pretty dumb thing to say. Also because he also said it like Canada would never qualify for the world cup. The play be play guy even made a comment like wow that's a bit of a smackdown on Canada. He clearly went out of his way to comment again later in the game 

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

That was a pretty dumb thing to say. Also because he also said it like Canada would never qualify for the world cup. The play be play guy even made a comment like wow that's a bit of a smackdown on Canada. He clearly went out of his way to comment again later in the game 

Well. We haven’t made it since 1986 so I don’t think it’s that dumb. Yes, we have a good young squad now but I don’t think you can expect most non-Canadian soccer observers to know that. 

I heard it as well. Obviously they missed the first chance to mention 2026, but other than that I didn’t think it was disrespectful. I thought he was saying it like it was a possibility we wouldn’t make the World Cup, not a certainty. And to be fair, I even think it’s a not insignificant possibility, even with our hosting of 12.5% of a World Cup in 2026.

Fantastic game from Davies today though. I missed a few minutes worth of the game, but from what I saw he didn’t put a foot wrong, and the assist and goal were good, even if he was fortunate to get the opportunity for the goal.

Eintracht was like a 2nd div team today, if they were in La Liga they'd relegate. 

I don't think you can say much about Bayern today, the team is well-coached, the movement of the ball is efficient as is the positional play. They pressure well when they don't have the ball. But the rival was quite poor, worse than Union last week.

It is going to be good to see them vs. Dortmund this Tuesday, but even so. I'd like to see Davies challenged by a side that forces him to stay back and defend, where they don't dominate possession. He has started 24 straight games in all competitions, which is amazing, so now needs some starts against top level rivals. 

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

Well. We haven’t made it since 1986 so I don’t think it’s that dumb. Yes, we have a good young squad now but I don’t think you can expect most non-Canadian soccer observers to know that. 

Exactly it is understandable why most soccer pundits and or commentators wouldn't know about Canada especially because Canada has not qualified for a World Cup since 1986. A long time hell almost 3 and a half to 4 decades of not being on the world stage so can you really blame them for knocking Canada though? Yeah we are co hosting in 2026 and no doubt Davies will be there in the next 6 years. However, if you want more soccer pundits and or commentators to have more respect for Davies or for Canada in general, then they need to start getting it done at major tournaments like Gold Cup as a start and then or qualifying for World Cups consistently. 2022 Davies and company have a chance at it. 2026 of course as co hosts Canada will already be there.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

I heard it as well. Obviously they missed the first chance to mention 2026, but other than that I didn’t think it was disrespectful. I thought he was saying it like it was a possibility we wouldn’t make the World Cup, not a certainty. And to be fair, I even think it’s a not insignificant possibility, even with our hosting of 12.5% of a World Cup in 2026.

Fantastic game from Davies today though. I missed a few minutes worth of the game, but from what I saw he didn’t put a foot wrong, and the assist and goal were good, even if he was fortunate to get the opportunity for the goal.

I didn't find it disrespectful either because let's be honest here, Canada has not exactly been getting the job done on the international stage. When is the last time Canada qualified for a World Cup? Mexico 1986 right. Most of us either were not born yet or were little kids or teenagers at that time. So let's not act like Canada has been a World Cup perennial because they haven't been. In fact it was a pretty fair assessment. I think it is pretty fair because look at all the talent Canada has. Sure we are coming up on a golden generation of footballers right now but we are nowhere near the level of USA or Mexico right now.

2022 qualifying I guess we'll find out if Canada can live up to the hype and actually qualify.

2026 however as co hosts, Davies as well as Canada will have a much more mature squad by then.

But back to Davies, he had a hell of a game yesterday.

10 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Maybe because they don't think Davies and Canada have what it takes to qualify for 2022 because they think teams like Panama, Honduras, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Haiti or Trinidad and Tobago have more of a chance to qualify from CONCACAF than Canada does.

10 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Well Canada has not qualified for any World Cups in this era though. They have only qualified once and that was back in the 80s, 1986 in Mexico to be exact. So can it be interpreted as a smackdown? In some ways yes but in some ways no because it is a fact of public record.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Eintracht was like a 2nd div team today, if they were in La Liga they'd relegate. 

I don't think you can say much about Bayern today, the team is well-coached, the movement of the ball is efficient as is the positional play. They pressure well when they don't have the ball. But the rival was quite poor, worse than Union last week.

It is going to be good to see them vs. Dortmund this Tuesday, but even so. I'd like to see Davies challenged by a side that forces him to stay back and defend, where they don't dominate possession. He has started 24 straight games in all competitions, which is amazing, so now needs some starts against top level rivals. 

There have been a few decent oppositions amongst those 24 consecutive starts. He's already crushed it a head-to-head with Jadon Sancho once before.

16 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There have been a few decent oppositions amongst those 24 consecutive starts. He's already crushed it a head-to-head with Jadon Sancho once before.

If he has, that's cool but nowhere near the level of Haaland though but at least not yet but he could be. I mean he is right there.

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

If he has, that's cool but nowhere near the level of Haaland though but at least not yet but he could be. I mean he is right there.

Remember someone once said less is more, when so many posts on multiple threads make so little sense, add absolutely no value, you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself “ is it really worth hitting Submit Reply”

46 minutes ago, jordan said:

Remember someone once said less is more, when so many posts on multiple threads make so little sense, add absolutely no value, you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself “ is it really worth hitting Submit Reply”

He’s trying to maximize his post count before admin drops the ban hammer on him.

20 hours ago, Kadenge said:

The commentator isn't entirely unfamilair with Canada. He was Aussie goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Besides the language and Commonwealth connection, he played against Canada in the 94 qualifying playoffs in Edmonton - his first cap after starting keeper was sent off. 

22 minutes ago, red card said:

The commentator isn't entirely unfamilair with Canada. He was Aussie goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Besides the language and Commonwealth connection, he played against Canada in the 94 qualifying playoffs in Edmonton - his first cap after starting keeper was sent off. 

The funniest thing is Canada vs Australia would be a real good game nowadays.. and i think we have more firepower/potential upfront 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

Article in the Province with some new tidbits:

Manchester United was the first major club linked to him, with their head North American scout Jorge Alvial, raving about the 15-year-old midfielder, sending upwards of 40 glowing reports back to his bosses, rating him higher than Chelsea’s Christian Pulisic.

In December of 2017, Whitecaps coach Carl Robinson wanted to take Davies to England for a trial with two Premier League clubs, but Huoseh, was hesitant about that arrangement. That following January, Huoseh had arranged with United for Davies to train with the team for two weeks, but this time, Robinson shot it down, saying Davies wasn’t ready to train at that level.

Once news of Bayern’s interest broke, several other suitors joined the fray. Stuttgart and United were active bidders, with Barcelona also coveting Davies for their second team. Paris Saint-Germain, in a connection brokered by then-assistant coach Pa-Modou Kah, was a late and ultimately futile entry into the field.

The Whitecaps and Bayern hammered out the details on a transfer agreement, finally settling on a fee reported to be €11.3M. Ten per cent of that fee is supposed to go to the player. It’s not uncommon for MLS clubs to request that clause be waived, but Huoseh’s initial shock turned to disappointment when the Whitecaps asked Davies to give up that money. Huoseh got Bayern to up their salary offer to cover the 10 per cent he’d had expected from Vancouver. The Bayern guys, you’re dealing with people who know the ins (and outs). Dealing with them was completely … day and night between them and the Whitecaps.

Huoseh and Davies then hopped on a red-eye flight to Edmonton, where they signed the five-year deal in a quiet corner of the airport with Davies’ parents.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/done-deal-how-alphonso-davies-record-setting-transfer-to-bayern-munich-came-to-fruition

Edited by red card

The Whitecaps come off as I expected in that piece. What a waste of a soccer market having these clowns at the top. No evidence of any money from that deal (including the extra 10% they squeezed out) being spent on product on the field.

39 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

The Whitecaps come off as I expected in that piece. What a waste of a soccer market having these clowns at the top. No evidence of any money from that deal (including the extra 10% they squeezed out) being spent on product on the field.

InBeom, Adnan, Godoy, Cavallini??  Must have spent some of it, I hear the managers office got redecorated.  

1 hour ago, red card said:

Article in the Province with some new tidbits:

Manchester United was the first major club linked to him, with their head North American scout Jorge Alvial, raving about the 15-year-old midfielder, sending upwards of 40 glowing reports back to his bosses, rating him higher than Chelsea’s Christian Pulisic.

In December of 2017, Whitecaps coach Carl Robinson wanted to take Davies to England for a trial with two Premier League clubs, but Huoseh, was hesitant about that arrangement. That following January, Huoseh had arranged with United for Davies to train with the team for two weeks, but this time, Robinson shot it down, saying Davies wasn’t ready to train at that level.

Once news of Bayern’s interest broke, several other suitors joined the fray. Stuttgart and United were active bidders, with Barcelona also coveting Davies for their second team. Paris Saint-Germain, in a connection brokered by then-assistant coach Pa-Modou Kah, was a late and ultimately futile entry into the field.

The Whitecaps and Bayern hammered out the details on a transfer agreement, finally settling on a fee reported to be €11.3M. Ten per cent of that fee is supposed to go to the player. It’s not uncommon for MLS clubs to request that clause be waived, but Huoseh’s initial shock turned to disappointment when the Whitecaps asked Davies to give up that money. Huoseh got Bayern to up their salary offer to cover the 10 per cent he’d had expected from Vancouver. The Bayern guys, you’re dealing with people who know the ins (and outs). Dealing with them was completely … day and night between them and the Whitecaps.

Huoseh and Davies then hopped on a red-eye flight to Edmonton, where they signed the five-year deal in a quiet corner of the airport with Davies’ parents.

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/done-deal-how-alphonso-davies-record-setting-transfer-to-bayern-munich-came-to-fruition

I would take some of this with a grain of salt.

Edited by SpursFlu