The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I'd say Davies had a bad game for his standards, which meant being an average Bayern starter instead of in the top 1-5 like every game before the break. He had a lot of loose touches and bad passes, but even Thiago had a few of those so im not worried. His crossing was still as sharp as ever and he should've been rewarded with an assist or 2, and nothing good or bad stood out defensively except for the good run at the end. I'm just happy we get to watch him again.

5 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

I'd say Davies had a bad game for his standards, which meant being an average Bayern starter instead of in the top 1-5 like every game before the break. He had a lot of loose touches and bad passes, but even Thiago had a few of those so im not worried. His crossing was still as sharp as ever and he should've been rewarded with an assist or 2, and nothing good or bad stood out defensively except for the good run at the end. I'm just happy we get to watch him again.

Well said. 

Weekend is almost here and we'll get to see him again. After no football for months, I kinda feel spoiled being able to see Phonzie play once a week!

11 hours ago, Obinna said:

Well said. 

Weekend is almost here and we'll get to see him again. After no football for months, I kinda feel spoiled being able to see Phonzie play once a week!

Me too, I am so hyped about that one match I can really enjoy each week. 

And I am not a Bayern fan, I want him to score a hat trick and they lose 3-4 this weekend.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And I am not a Bayern fan, I want him to score a hat trick and they lose 3-4 this weekend.

Ehhh I was a bit anti-Bayern in the past. Didn’t like the personnel they had. But I’ve grown to become a fan after watching them so many times, following their social media, etc and Alphonso has become my favourite athlete. So admittedly I’ve become a Bayern fan in the process and want to see them succeed bc ofc that’s only good for Alphonso’s career. 

To be fair, I’m quite neutral when it comes to European football. Grew up supporting Arsenal but could care of less now. I understand your relationship with Barca is far different and I suppose Bayern is direct competitor (kind of?) for the biggest prize of all. 

Edited by cronaldo7

43 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Florentino Perez wants to sign him as Marcelo's replacement at Real Madrid

https://amp.donbalon.com/futbol/laliga/es-favorito-echar-marcelo-estrella-acerca-madrid?__twitter_impression=true

Alphonso Davies to Real Madrid imagine that and playing under Zinedine Zidane...Zizou...it would be an even bigger move than his Bayern move especially if this is to be believed 

51 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Alphonso Davies to Real Madrid imagine that and playing under Zinedine Zidane...Zizou...it would be an even bigger move than his Bayern move especially if this is to be believed 

His move from MLS to Bayern wouldnt be bigger than Bayern to Madrid?  Maybe if your a Madrid super fan.  

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I have noticed you have expressed your dislike for Bayern several times now. Just curious, how much of it has to do with Pep leaving Barca to coach them?

I think Bayern to Real is arguably a lateral move. Both are 5 teams in the world any given season. Realistically if he is an above average starter at Bayern, then he can play at any team in the world. The cool thing is just seeing what he would be sold for/valued at on the world market.

1 hour ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ehhh I was a bit anti-Bayern in the past. Didn’t like the personnel they had. But I’ve grown to become a fan after watching them so many times, following their social media, etc and Alphonso has become my favourite athlete. So admittedly I’ve become a Bayern fan in the process and want to see them succeed bc ofc that’s only good for Alphonso’s career. 

To be fair, I’m quite neutral when it comes to European football. Grew up supporting Arsenal but could care of less now. I understand your relationship with Barca is far different and I suppose Bayern is direct competitor (kind of?) for the biggest prize of all. 

I could have wrote this about myself and it would hold true, right down to the Arsenal part.

20 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

His move from MLS to Bayern wouldnt be bigger than Bayern to Madrid?  Maybe if your a Madrid super fan.  

What are you talking about? Of course it would be because Real Madrid is one of the biggest clubs in the world with one of the most iconic coaches in the world

Personal preference, but I would not want Alphonso to go to Real Madrid. Very happy with where he is at. 

He is just 19 and starting regularly for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It is absolutely unnecessary for him to move on. 

Maybe down the road when he enters his prime, he could be tempted to try something new and move to England or Spain.

Any move to a big club in England is probably lateral at best, perhaps with the exception of Liverpool, but who is to say where they'll be in 4-5 years time. Look where Liverpool were 4-5 years ago.

As for Spain, the only two clubs that are arguably bigger are Barca and Real Madrid, every other club would be a step down. And if it came down to those two clubs, I would prefer Barcelona. At least there is an associated style of football at that club. Real Madrid just seem to buy the biggest player regardless of what kind of player they are. Just a personal qualm I have with them. 

All that said, I kind of want him to see out his whole career at Bayern and become a club legend. I don't think he needs to go anywhere else. 

Edited by Obinna

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Personal preference, but I would not want Alphonso to go to Real Madrid. Very happy with where he is at. 

He is just 19 and starting regularly for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It is absolutely unnecessary for him to move on. 

Maybe down the road when he enters his prime, he could be tempted to try something new and move to England or Spain.

Any move to a big club in England is probably lateral at best, perhaps with the exception of Liverpool, but who is to say where they'll be in 4-5 years time. Look where Liverpool were 4-5 years ago.

As for Spain, the only two clubs that are arguably bigger are Barca and Real Madrid, every other club would be a step down. And if it came down to those two clubs, I would prefer Barcelona. At least there is an associated style of football at that club. Real Madrid just seem to buy the biggest player regardless of what kind of player they are. Just a personal qualm I have with them. 

All that said, I kind of want him to see out his whole career at Bayern and become a club legend. I don't think he needs to go anywhere else. 

Yeah but apparently Real Madrid are trying to sell Marcelo and are looking to get Davies apparently. Or if it isn't a sale they are going for a swap type of deal. Either way if this rumor has any traction, then I say then that's good. I mean even though Bayern is a great club filled with superstars but then so is Real Madrid so really what would be the difference between going from loaded club to another?

4 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The Kicker English match report I read called him man of the match, did we see the same article?

Sorry never bothered to read the match report, just checked the ratings on the lineups tab as I was curious with all these people saying he had a relatively poor match. I always use the .de version.

Just now, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but apparently Real Madrid are trying to sell Marcelo and are looking to get Davies apparently. Or if it isn't a sale they are going for a swap type of deal. Either way if this rumor has any traction, then I say then that's good. I mean even though Bayern is a great club filled with superstars but then so is Real Madrid so really what would be the difference between going from loaded club to another?

The bigger move was the jump from mid table MLS to top tier European giant, like I said.  You contridicted yourself from a post 20min earlier.    

I think being in the starting 11 at Real Madrid is kinda like the pinnacle of club football. But being in the starting 11 of Bayern is basically the same. Bayern, Liverpool, ManU, Barca, Juventus.. pick a couple more he's pretty much where he needs to be. If Real want to drop their pants Bayern will sell him because why wouldn't you make 100k on the deal but that likely wont happen for a few years

1 minute ago, SpursFlu said:

I think being in the starting 11 at Real Madrid is kinda like the pinnacle of club football. But being in the starting 11 of Bayern is basically the same. Bayern, Liverpool, ManU, Barca, Juventus.. pick a couple more he's pretty much where he needs to be. If Real want to drop their pants Bayern will sell him because why wouldn't you make 100k on the deal but that likely wont happen for a few years

Exactly my point Real Madrid is the pinnacle...possibly the most storied club in European football

I'm not a big fan of Real Madrid, they are like the NY Yankees to me. Its almost like they assemble their team on a unlimited budget cheat mode haha.  Obviously Bayern are rich as can be too, but they seem more working class to me, which I like.

I think Bayern can give any team in world football a beating on any given day. Davies is thriving and Bayern deserves a ton of credit for his development. Why leave? Real Madrid is like the rich old sugar daddy for hot models, seems like a great fit until the next young thing comes along..

I wont complain though haha, we are Canada after all. This is a great ride we are on.