The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

4 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I'm not a big fan of Real Madrid, they are like the NY Yankees to me. Its almost like they assemble their team on a unlimited budget cheat mode haha.  Obviously Bayern are rich as can be too, but they seem more working class to me, which I like.

I think Bayern can give any team in world football a beating on any given day. Davies is thriving and Bayern deserves a ton of credit for his development. Why leave? Real Madrid is like the rich old sugar daddy for hot models, seems like a great fit until the next young thing comes along..

I wont complain though haha, we are Canada after all. This is a great ride we are on.

Exactly because name a Canadian that has been world class that has been as transcendent or more transcendent than Alphonso has been? The answer...NOBODY 

42 minutes ago, bwilly11 said:

I'm not a big fan of Real Madrid, they are like the NY Yankees to me. Its almost like they assemble their team on a unlimited budget cheat mode haha.  Obviously Bayern are rich as can be too, but they seem more working class to me, which I like.

I think Bayern can give any team in world football a beating on any given day. Davies is thriving and Bayern deserves a ton of credit for his development. Why leave? Real Madrid is like the rich old sugar daddy for hot models, seems like a great fit until the next young thing comes along..

I wont complain though haha, we are Canada after all. This is a great ride we are on.

In Marcelo's case it's been 14 years, and the next hot young thing still hasn't replaced him. There are plenty of other similar examples on their squad as well. 

Why switch? if you watch his tik tok vids its obvious he has settled in nicely and has a good situation going there.  How many times does this backfire on a guy?  He just signed a new deal..this is just stupid Football manager talk. I'm bored so I'll tell a reporter I wwant to bring in Davies watch the freak out.  

13 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Why switch? if you watch his tik tok vids its obvious he has settled in nicely and has a good situation going there.  How many times does this backfire on a guy?  He just signed a new deal..this is just stupid Football manager talk. I'm bored so I'll tell a reporter I wwant to bring in Davies watch the freak out.  

these guys seem to think it's likely pretty concrete given the source...

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/5/21/21265791/bayern-munich-manchester-united-man-city-adama-traore-real-madrid-alphonso-davies-liverpool-psg

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Gillingham was pretty good to Jackson.  DIdnt he score the goal that won them promotion 2 years in a row??  That seems like 100 years ago.  

yeah man, he crushed it there.

But i think the promotion streak happened at Norwich? I could be wrong.

Edited by lazlo_80

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

I have noticed you have expressed your dislike for Bayern several times now. Just curious, how much of it has to do with Pep leaving Barca to coach them?

It goes way back, back decades, I am a pre-Pep Barça supporter, he was never my favourite player. I've never liked Bayern, let them always lose. I also dislike la Juve. In France I support L'OM. though if St Etienne does well I am happy and would love to go to that stadium. For me PSG is one of the major fake clubs in world football. In England, I only really support Liverpool and dislike all the big London teams, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs, though less so. While there are outsiders I have certain sympathy for (Newcastle). And of course Leicester when they won the league, all power to them. 

I don't always go against a team just because it's a potential rival, I never felt anything against AC Milan.

When I say I would prefer to see Alphonso do well and Bayern not win anything, I mean it.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Florentino Perez wants to sign him as Marcelo's replacement at Real Madrid

https://amp.donbalon.com/futbol/laliga/es-favorito-echar-marcelo-estrella-acerca-madrid?__twitter_impression=true

Don Balon used to be a good magazine and I bought it when it was on paper, now it is just a rag and means nothing. The article is trash. 

Only if As or Marca publish something out of Spain, it is a legit rumour, however full of crap it may be. 

While it is true Marcelo is really playing poorly, such a talented guy but really out of sorts, RM needs someone now and Bayern is not going to sell Davies this summer, impossible. Well not impossible, but it would have to be such an outrageous offer and neither Madrid, nor any team, has the money to spend what they'd need for an outside back.

Davies won't transfer until 2022 at the earliest, the fans would crucify anyone who dare make that move in their FO.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

53 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Good post, exactly that. Agents and intermediaries trying to drum up value and get their commission. But while that does not happen, they get paid to feed stuff to starved reporters. 

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Personal preference, but I would not want Alphonso to go to Real Madrid. Very happy with where he is at. 

He is just 19 and starting regularly for one of the biggest clubs in the world. It is absolutely unnecessary for him to move on. 

Maybe down the road when he enters his prime, he could be tempted to try something new and move to England or Spain.

Any move to a big club in England is probably lateral at best, perhaps with the exception of Liverpool, but who is to say where they'll be in 4-5 years time. Look where Liverpool were 4-5 years ago.

As for Spain, the only two clubs that are arguably bigger are Barca and Real Madrid, every other club would be a step down. And if it came down to those two clubs, I would prefer Barcelona. At least there is an associated style of football at that club. Real Madrid just seem to buy the biggest player regardless of what kind of player they are. Just a personal qualm I have with them. 

All that said, I kind of want him to see out his whole career at Bayern and become a club legend. I don't think he needs to go anywhere else. 

You forgot his 2030 move back to the Whitecaps after a 12-year run at Bayern that yields 9 Bundesliga titles and 2 Champions Leagues.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

You forgot his 2030 move back to the Whitecaps after a 12-year run at Bayern that yields 9 Bundesliga titles and 2 Champions Leagues.

In my fantasy he also returns to MLS, but decides to keep it red and suit up for Toronto FC ;)

18 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

yeah man, he crushed it there.

But i think the promotion streak happened at Norwich? I could be wrong.

I believe he played in League Two with Gillingham and scored the goal that promoted them, then played for Gillingham in League One. Then after that season got transferred to Norwich in the Championship where he scored the goal that promoted them to the Premier League, and then played for Norwich in the Premier League.

He scored in League Two, League One, Championship, and Premier League in 4 years. I have always been curious but haven't been able to confirm if that steady ladder climb is a unique accomplishment.

Sending Fonzie to RM, would be like sending a Nobel Prize in Medicine winner to work for Trump- a complete waste and a danger. He is riding high now, no reason to risk anything unnecessarily.

15 second, Lewandowski and others getting great service from both sides, wasted effort.

Edit Great cross by Peresic to lewandofski, goal Bayern, near 17 minutes. A few minutes earlier Fonzie had a great trun into the penalty area, but taken down in a clear uncalled fault.

Edited by beachesl

On 5/22/2020 at 5:45 AM, An Observer said:

I think he turns to his hometown club, buys it, gets a new downtown stadium built and ushers in a new era as owner, manager and player of FC Edmonton.

Nobody from BC caost would move back to my Edmonton voluntarily. Maybe Victoria or Kelowna.