The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I've thought for a while now that he looks more dangerous on the right in an advance role, than he does on the left. At this level he's too predictable on the left when defenders are in position. He almost always opts to either beat his man down the wing, or lay the ball back. On the right he's much less predictable and defenders have to worry about him cutting inside onto his left, or beating them for pace down the wing.

Edit: No Lewy or Mueller this weekend, and potentially no Coman or Gnabry either. I could certainly see Phonzy getting another shot up top.

Where was Gnabry today is he injured? I do think you are right that Davies will get a spin further up field Gnabry and Coman are both missing. 

Probably Hernandez comes in at LB, Davies and Perisic on the wings. Thiago and Kimmich in the midfield with Goretzka in the hole and Zirkzee leading the line, perhaps?

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

I'd agree, although it seems mostly to be a failure to get in sync with Perisic who, despite his goal, seems largely out of sync with the rest of the team as well.  Davies still had a great cross that Coman should have finished for a goal.

Davies and Perisic do not play that well together. This has been for months, it is almost always the case. We see Alphonso miss passes to him constantly, which bothers me: you have to put that ball in more accurately, and look at where the defender is (put the ball to the foot furthest from the defender's position). Apart from missing too many forward balls today, Davies often puts the ball into Perisic to the wrong foot, the wrong side. I think Perisic just lives with it, but I would be a bit frustrated because the guy obviously has the skill to handle a ball if put near his foot reasonably well. 

Overall, combined, they tore up that wing, but they did not really combine, I agree entirely.

I'm pleased to be at the point where Davies is being mildly critiqued for a game in which he created one goal and another that should have been scored. I'm also encouraged to see him deployed further forward in the second half, when Bayern had other attacking players on the bench they could have inserted instead of shifting Davies.

I was watching this specific YouTube video of "Top 10 Young Footballers In the World 2020" and the list is as follows:

10- Ansu Fati🇪🇦 (Spanish) (Barcelona) (17 years old)

9- Alphonso Davies🇨🇦(Canadian) (Bayern Munich) (19 years old)

8- Rodrygo🇧🇷 (Brazilian) (Real Madrid) (19 years old)

7- Matthijs De Ligt🇳🇱 (Dutch) (Juventus) (21 years old)

6- Federico Valverde🇺🇾 (Uruguayan) (Real Madrid) (21 years old)

5- Martin Odegaard🇳🇴 (Norwegian) (Real Sociedad) (21 years old)

4- Erling Haaland🇳🇴 (Norwegian) (Borussia Dortmund) (19 years old)

3- Jadon Sancho🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 (English) (Borussia Dortmund) (19 years old)

2- Trent Alexander Arnold🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 (English) (Liverpool) (21 years old)

1- Kylian Mbappe (French) (PSG) (21 years old)🇨🇵

Just to even see Alphonso mentioned in the same breath as these guys or for him to be considered one of the top young guys in the world being a Canadian...it just really is an honor

On 6/11/2020 at 12:47 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies and Perisic do not play that well together. This has been for months, it is almost always the case. We see Alphonso miss passes to him constantly, which bothers me: you have to put that ball in more accurately, and look at where the defender is (put the ball to the foot furthest from the defender's position). Apart from missing too many forward balls today, Davies often puts the ball into Perisic to the wrong foot, the wrong side. I think Perisic just lives with it, but I would be a bit frustrated because the guy obviously has the skill to handle a ball if put near his foot reasonably well. 

Overall, combined, they tore up that wing, but they did not really combine, I agree entirely.

I agree Perisic and Davies are not a match made in heaven but I'm so sick of Gnaby. I don't have the data to back me up but I'm convinced, for all his tricks and flicks, he makes all his teammates around him worse. He's selfish and doesn't really setup teammates well. He's great at taking chances but also takes chances where others have made really good runs. He's by far my least favourite player on Bayern for this reason. 

He also has a knack of flubbing chances where Davies has done all the work to set him up on a platter. It's like he knows the credit will go to Davies and he intentionally misses it 😅

I am really excited to see him have a run out on the wing. I really hope he shows well, this could be a really important game for him in determining how Bayern use him over the next 3 years. (also would love if Hernandez plays great too so they don't HAVE to stick Davies back there)

32 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

I agree Perisic and Davies are not a match made in heaven but I'm so sick of Gnaby. I don't have the data to back me up but I'm convinced, for all his tricks and flicks, he makes all his teammates around him worse. He's selfish and doesn't really setup teammates well. He's great at taking chances but also takes chances where others have made really good runs. He's by far my least favourite player on Bayern for this reason. 

He also has a knack of flubbing chances where Davies has done all the work to set him up on a platter. It's like he knows the credit will go to Davies and he intentionally misses it 😅

I am really excited to see him have a run out on the wing. I really hope he shows well, this could be a really important game for him in determining how Bayern use him over the next 3 years. (also would love if Hernandez plays great too so they don't HAVE to stick Davies back there)

I think Coman is more frustrating than Gnabry. I think Gnabry has improved so much this season, meanwhile Coman's crossing and finishing remains very inconsistent. Davies seems to have good chemistry with both players though. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think Coman is more frustrating than Gnabry. I think Gnabry has improved so much this season, meanwhile Coman's crossing and finishing remains very inconsistent. Davies seems to have good chemistry with both players though. 

Hard to defend Coman when he missed an absolute sitter from Davies last game... wide open net. Brek Shea levels of bad missing that one.

16 hours ago, Obinna said:

Gnabry has been slightly better than shit most of his career. He had an unbelievably purple patch in the second half of last season, but he's reverted back to his usual self this season. He's gotta be one of the most overrated players in world football today.

Davies on the bench today, Lucas Hernández in his spot. With both Müller and Lewandowski sitting out for yellow card accumulation, the attack is a bit improvised for Bayern. Not a lot of firepower on the bench either. And they need a win, can't coast, as Dortmund won in the last second and are 4 pts back. 

Should be interesting if they call on Davies for the attack if thing are not going right.

There was an immediate boost to Bayern's attack in the 10 minutes after Phonz and Coman came on to that left side on the hour. Although that lift didn't sustain through to the end of the game, Davies did put the key pass through in the build up to the winning goal. 

He should confirm his second Bundesliga winner's medal in a few days, now. I doubt that Flick will consider sitting him for Hernandez again, on today's evidence.

3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

There was an immediate boost to Bayern's attack in the 10 minutes after Phonz and Coman came on to that left side on the hour. Although that lift didn't sustain through to the end of the game, Davies did put the key pass through in the build up to the winning goal. 

He should confirm his second Bundesliga winner's medal in a few days, now. I doubt that Flick will consider sitting him for Hernandez again, on today's evidence.

Davies is just special and now I know why the YouTube videos I have watched on Top 10 Young Footballers in the World, just why Davies deserves to be on that list for the stars who are his age or younger 

13 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Put in at LB when they needed attacking options. Frustrating when they have a bunch of sofas at winger. 

That’s such and odd perspective. It was an attacking substitution and he played a big role in the goal and changing the game. They’ve just about wrapped up the season now. I’m very happy for him 

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That’s such and odd perspective. It was an attacking substitution and he played a big role in the goal and changing the game. They’ve just about wrapped up the season now. I’m very happy for him 

Winning the Bundesliga title is just the first step but next step is winning UEFA Champions League to complete that treble.

9 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Oh I recognize Davies plays incredibly offensively as a LB, especially compared to Hernandez. It’s probably the best move for the Bayern team because it allows them to get more attacking players on the pitch.

however, I’m still of the belief Davies best position is as a pure winger. I’m legitimately worried he might regress in his attacking abilities if he’s continuously deployed at LB/LWB.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

I thought he was sat because of squad rotation. They started Zirkzee and that bench attacking midfielder.

1 hour ago, canta15 said:

I thought he was sat because of squad rotation. They started Zirkzee and that bench attacking midfielder.

I think it was both rotation and tactical. They played last weekend and a Cup game on Wednesday. Davies played both, including all 90 on Wednesday.  Give him a rest on the bench to start the game, and if they aren't winning by the 60th, stick him in with fresh legs. He now has 30 minutes to overrun the other team who are now tired.

Edited by Trois Reds
Rephrasing

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/alphonso-davies-rise-altering-perception-canadian-soccer/

Paragraph 4, 5 and 6 in the above article is significant.   Because it is the first piece that i have seen that affirms what may of us (myself included) have been saying for many years of following the “Goings on” of our players who go overseas to play in the UK.   Its pretty irrefutable now,  your career will not progress and your game will not progress by going to play in england.  Moreso if you go to the lower divisions.

yes, i get that many of those guys probably didnt have what it takes (talentwise) to succeed beyond where they ended up.  But numbers cant lie.   Deguzman, Hargr**v** (if we want to count him),  Davies, Staltieri etc when to play in Germany and ended up on good clubs,  and even played in europe.  They even pawned their experience to end up at other first division top clubs in spain and England.  But in england,  everyones careers stalls.  They might get a quick stint in the prem but little more than that.   Would stalteri’ have ever played at Tottenham if he would started his route in the  championship instead of at Bremen?   What about Harg**eav**  

Cant help but think about those two kids who stupidly left the TFC academy prematurely to for that dead end opportunity at QPR.  It looked like dead end at the time, it smelled like a dead end,  it was indeed a dead end.  Now these kids are not even on the MNT depth charts anymore.  They are not even on TFC’s radar anymore.   

Edited by Free kick

Petrasso and Carriero is who I think your talking about, going to QPR.  But it would work just as well for Aleman and Lao who were released from TFC a few years earlier to pursue foreign clubs. 

That was a good article but it lost me with the baloney about Har$$$$$.  Their was no lasting legacy here from his success in Europe because he shit all over canada.  If he had gone the other way and made a real difference in canada, maybe both DEGUZ brothers and ASSOVIC play for canada.  Then we do a lot better in every gold cup/WCQ after that and WHOR$$$$ does leave a positive legacy behind.  

I dont think its a coincidence that Cav recommitted to canada (2017) when Davies was becoming a rising star.  And David got his shot in Belgium not long after that.  Davies has scouts wondering who else they are missing out on in Canada, and CDN kids now have a global super star to emulate.  I hope by the time Davies and David lead us into the WC in 2026, there is a new teenage phenom on the squad that was inspired by their success in europe.