The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

If he becomes a global superstar it could totally change the state of the program off the field.  All of a sudden, we will become an attractive friendly opponent for big teams.  Promoters may even be the ones chasing the CSA for games.  Even our home games could become a hot ticket with all of the eurosnobs lining up to buy tickets now that it's cool to do so.

18 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

If he becomes a global superstar it could totally change the state of the program off the field.  All of a sudden, we will become an attractive friendly opponent for big teams.  Promoters may even be the ones chasing the CSA for games.  Even our home games could become a hot ticket with all of the eurosnobs lining up to buy tickets now that it's cool to do so.

That is what I was trying to get at like if he moves into the top 5 as far as superstars in the world game, then it will do wonders for the national team program well for the Men's program anyway because a lot more dual nationals will want to play for Canada. But also a lot of the big teams will want to face us in friendlies especially if Phonzie becomes more of a global superstar.

9 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Ha, lovin the list, no matter how unrealistic it is. My German friend who is a lifelong Bayern fan actually sent me the list, the hype is real.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/sports/mbappe-tops-value-list-of-footballers-in-europe/1869745#

Didn’t see a link posted above.

Transfermarkt puts Alphonso at 45 million dollars, in around the 90th in the world in value.

Sure, it may be higher, I think it could be up to 60 million pounds, but not a lot higher than that. He has the same value as young players such as Vinicius, Ferran Torres, Rodrygo, Odegaard. That sounds more realistic.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/marktwertetop/wertvollstespieler

One thing that is interesting on that list is how they consider every player in the world has lost value, a direct consequence of clubs now being in financial straits. Even David has come down from 27 million dollars to 24 from end of March to May.

11 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Hasn't had a great game so far.

I'd agree, although it seems mostly to be a failure to get in sync with Perisic who, despite his goal, seems largely out of sync with the rest of the team as well.  Davies still had a great cross that Coman should have finished for a goal.

Edited by jonovision

Nice to see him get time on the wing. Clearly he is more impressive for them as a left back, but hard to say if that's more because of his attributes or more because he played so many minutes at left back and it gave him a chance to build up those relationships with the others. Perhaps an extended run at LW would see Davies adjust and find a way to be effective, but it is hard to imagine and I don't even think that'll happen so it's hypothetical.  

Edited by Obinna

I've thought for a while now that he looks more dangerous on the right in an advance role, than he does on the left. At this level he's too predictable on the left when defenders are in position. He almost always opts to either beat his man down the wing, or lay the ball back. On the right he's much less predictable and defenders have to worry about him cutting inside onto his left, or beating them for pace down the wing.

Edit: No Lewy or Mueller this weekend, and potentially no Coman or Gnabry either. I could certainly see Phonzy getting another shot up top.

Edited by Aird25

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I've thought for a while now that he looks more dangerous on the right in an advance role, than he does on the left. At this level he's too predictable on the left when defenders are in position. He almost always opts to either beat his man down the wing, or lay the ball back. On the right he's much less predictable and defenders have to worry about him cutting inside onto his left, or beating them for pace down the wing

Arjen Robben.