The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

11 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

You could see the step up in quality as Dortmund really pressed Bayern much quicker that other teams. Davies lost possession more than usual but he was testing people and it puts them under pressure. So it's part of the game and I thought considering the quality on the pitch he looked great

I cannot wait for Champions league. Davies v PSG or Barcelona or Madrid will be amazing 

I think youll be waiting forever for champions league. I would bet it gets cancelled. 

16 minutes ago, CanSuffer said:

Fast, yes, but also one of the quickest in the world. 1.5 steps and he's at top speed it seems :)

Should be playing left winger in my opinion but that's neither here nor there. However, as a left back, he's coming into his own quickly at that position even though that is not his natural position.

As posted, Champions goes in August. The leagues that still want to finish will have to do so by the end of July. I think Spain is working to get back to playing mid June, so with 9 fixtures left, makes sense. I don't see what the problem is, teams can take charter flights with press and have low contact with others, games without public as a general rule, Champions final the last weekend of August in Istanbul.

There was one formula to do quarters and semis as single knock-out in Istanbut, I think that would actually make more sense, to do that you should have 12 days or so. If they can avoid extra travel, better.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 hours ago, VinceA said:
If I'm not mistaken every time Davies has played LB for Canada against a "good" opponent Canada has been spanked and the whole backline looked terrible. 3-1 loss to Mexico, 3-2 loss to Haiti and the 4-1 loss to the US. Seems we're better defensively when Davies is further up.

It's because we need that 4th defender constantly defending. Alphonso definitely tried to do way to much in that last game against the USA offensively and defensively at the same time 

Davies plays a high risk, high reward game.  That’s what makes him so exciting.  But he has David Alaba backing him up and that takes away a lot of the risk.  So for Bayern he is a near perfect left back for what they need.

For Canada our margins are thinner and we need a lower risk, lower reward back 4 and a dedicated DM destroyer to shield the back 4.  For our talent level vs our peers Davies is an amazing fit up front as a winger or 2nd striker.  

I realize the temptation (and I’ve been a victim of it myself) to look at Davies and day- there’s our Left Back.  But we have to play him to maximize his talents and as far as I can see that’s in an advanced role.

edit- Alaba autocorrected 

Edited by baulderdash77

4 minutes ago, gator said:

I watched a good part of the match, it's great to see some live football again albeit in a strange atmosphere with no fans, Davies looked quite good, he's always in space, his passing has improved, the move to Bayern is really a dream with him get top class coaching and playing with great players!

I’m already accustom to the no fans.

Really happy for Davies to pot another one. My hate for Gnabry only grows. Talent is obvious for Serge but he plays a terrible team game and generally doesn’t elevate anyone around him. I’m much happier when Pericic/Conan/noname18yearold is playing on his wing.

He’s doing so well at left back, I wonder if he ever really gets a chance to try to solidify himself as a full time winger in the future. That’s where I’d like to see him but obviously when he’s playing as well as he has at left back it seems silly to change anything.

One thing that seems evident to me in watching Davies over the last several games is that his real ability as a defensive back is when he tracks back. We know what he can do offensively but I am not convinced he is a true defender. It ain't in his DNA. As others have pointed out, for Canada we need him up the field when playing strong opponents, in part to keep their defenders on the back foot, but also to strengthen our defending. With a true left back behind him, Davies can get up the field safely AND provide additional support tracking back. I remain unconvinced that left back is his best position. It works for Bayern because of the quality in the squad and how they line up.

15 minutes ago, archer21 said:

He’s doing so well at left back, I wonder if he ever really gets a chance to try to solidify himself as a full time winger in the future. That’s where I’d like to see him but obviously when he’s playing as well as he has at left back it seems silly to change anything.

This match wasn't a great example perhaps because of Bayern's dominance but he was way up the field for long periods of time, his recovery speed is obviously amazing allowing him to do so, I would say in this set up it is the perfect position for him, now Canada may be another matter!

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

I’m already accustom to the no fans.

Really happy for Davies to pot another one. My hate for Gnabry only grows. Talent is obvious for Serge but he plays a terrible team game and generally doesn’t elevate anyone around him. I’m much happier when Pericic/Conan/noname18yearold is playing on his wing.

TBH that's the 1st I have watched of this other than a couple Euro ties where it was mandated and York 9 (sorry @zeelaw) I couldn't help myself, I got used to it quickly and will adapt! Time for the CPL to work something out!

Bayern definately play to his strengths. Most of the time he is free to run wild, knowing his speed will let him recover, and his CB are at home watching the henhouse.  If we expect our Vitoria/Jackovic/Edgar/James/Henry et al to cover for him against decent opposition it will get ugly like against the USA.  A smart coach would realize duplicating these exploits for Canada with our personel just isnt going work.  Play him at LB, but restrain his offensive game, or play at wing with a def LB behind him and sit another winger that Herdman wants to get into the game.  I dont think you can have both...until the CB position improves, and maybe not even then.