Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

The funniest thing is Canada vs Australia would be a real good game nowadays.. and i think we have more firepower/potential upfront 

I often think about how we'd match up against them now.


It is an interesting comparison, because both are commonwealth nations with similar geography and population, but also because they finished 5th in Asia last cycle. They could be a possible opponent in the inter-continental playoff (although we are hearing rumours of Oceania). Australia beat Honduras to qualify for WC 2018.

I agree our firepower/potential upfront is better, but they probably have more depth and definitely more experience as a team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I wonder what the record is for back to back posts by one user??  4 straight posts saying almost the exact same thing is impressive.  But I dont think users get banned for being repetitive and annoying.  Otherwise I would have gotten banned for complaining about Ben Spencer/Vanney a few years ago.  

I don’t know, but I might have that dubious record in the thread below!

I did feel self conscious about rattling off 7 straight replies, but in my case it was a passion project thread that most people didn’t care about or didn’t think there was anything to discuss and it took about half a year to post all those replies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TGAA_Star needs to learn how to use the multi-quote function.

And yes I am definitely in favour of users getting banned (after warning) for spamming the same thing over and over and over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I often think about how we'd match up against them now.


It is an interesting comparison, because both are commonwealth nations with similar geography and population, but also because they finished 5th in Asia last cycle. They could be a possible opponent in the inter-continental playoff (although we are hearing rumours of Oceania). Australia beat Honduras to qualify for WC 2018.

I agree our firepower/potential upfront is better, but they probably have more depth and definitely more experience as a team. 

After scanning their roster, I am not sure how true either of these are. I think we are actually closer to them in both regards than I thought when I wrote that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed a good chunk of the first half, and apparently missed that Davies recovery on Haaland, but from what I saw it was a quiet game for him, with a few loose touches and not much offensive contribution.

Most importantly though, today Bayern won the game and likely the title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It did seem like last game (against weak opposition) the manager let him loose, and this time he was told to focus on defensive duties, dont get caught too far upfield etc.  Which is all they needed him to do, play smart and get the result.  That kind of calm professionalism is something the rest of our national team needs to learn from him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

How about Davies taking on 4 Dortmund players only to be muscled out by Hummels near the goal line?

That was the one noteworthy contribution I did see. It's pretty amazing that Alphonso does this sort of thing regularly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Obinna said:

That was the one noteworthy contribution I did see. It's pretty amazing that Alphonso does this sort of thing regularly!

yup and in the Bundesliga vs the 2nd best team...(and vs Chelsea). His confidence and poise both on attack and when defending has grown exponentially since his first few games for Bayern. We are so lucky to have him. When David transfers to a top 5 league, our two brightest stars are going to open doors for other young Canadians like never before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looked to me like he was asked to hold back and snuff out counters more than usual. He had fewer overlapping runs than normal, but his pace stopped Dortmund's counter on several occasions and forced them to adapt. He looked to be fighting his instincts a bit, but still had an effective game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could see the step up in quality as Dortmund really pressed Bayern much quicker that other teams. Davies lost possession more than usual but he was testing people and it puts them under pressure. So it's part of the game and I thought considering the quality on the pitch he looked great

I cannot wait for Champions league. Davies v PSG or Barcelona or Madrid will be amazing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that’s the most I’ve seen him lose the ball in a game so far but at least none of them led to dangerous chances against. 

Still a good game overall though, shutting down Haaland on that run and dangling four defenders at once were two pretty good highlights. Yellow card was ******** too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bdog said:

I think that’s the most I’ve seen him lose the ball in a game so far but at least none of them led to dangerous chances against. 

Still a good game overall though, shutting down Haaland on that run and dangling four defenders at once were two pretty good highlights. Yellow card was ******** too. 

So, he will miss the next game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...