Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

Charles-Andreas Brym (23) is the latest addition to FC Eindhoven. The striker comes transfer-free from Royal Excel Mouscron and has signed for a season with an option for another season.

Brym was born in France and his roots are in Canada. In his youth, the striker, who can also play on the flanks, played for Zulte Waregem (BE), LOSC Lille (FR) and Belenenses (PO). Last season Brym wore the shirt of the Belgian Royal Excel Mouscron. In addition, Brym played three exhibition games for the Canada national team.

Technical Manager Marc Scheepers about Brym: “I am pleased that we have been able to recruit Charles-Andreas. He is originally a center striker but can also be used on the flanks, he is also fast and goal-oriented.”

Welcome Charles Andreas!

This team is the second side in Eindhoven, which is not that large, and the stadium is fairly modest. Still, they have had a good start and are in a promotion spot already, so they seem to think they may be able to make the move up. 

I like it when a player who I have seen underpar is stuck into a situation where he is both trusted and where he's expected to perform under pressure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He is not in the 18 for FC Eindhoven this morning, as they take on SBV Excelsior. He did have the start on Tuesday, going the full 90' as Eindhoven were knocked out in the first round of the cup in a 2-1 loss to DVS'33. Any word on an injury or anything to be concerned about?

• 1 month later...
55 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He doesn't seem to be able to score much at the Eerste Divisie level. In general it seems at the pro level he doesn't have much to offer. Still puzzling why Herdman saw him as a national team caliber player.

We didn't have much choice tbf - everyone was injured. Still, we had some choice. Tesho was the obvious pick and Ennin could've gotten involved.

With Brym and Sturing, I think we're seriously overestimating that level of play. Makes me wonder if Colyn's next.

14 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

We didn't have much choice tbf - everyone was injured. Still, we had some choice. Tesho was the obvious pick and Ennin could've gotten involved.

With Brym and Sturing, I think we're seriously overestimating that level of play. Makes me wonder if Colyn's next.

For all that Herdman has done right Brym over Akindele will never make sense. 

Shame Ugbo didn’t commit earlier he would have seen some decent minutes that window. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

For all that Herdman has done right Brym over Akindele will never make sense. 

Shame Ugbo didn’t commit earlier he would have seen some decent minutes that window. 

I’ve never seen anything to suggest Brym is anywhere near the national team picture at this point in his career, but that doesn’t mean he never could be. He can still have a solid pro career and develop  quietly. I sort of feel bad for Brym because it feels to me like Herdman put him in a situation he was never going to be able to succeed in, and his deficiencies have been highlighted and over analyzed.

2 minutes ago, maccaliam said:

I’ve never seen anything to suggest Brym is anywhere near the national team picture at this point in his career, but that doesn’t mean he never could be. He can still have a solid pro career and develop  quietly. I sort of feel bad for Brym because it feels to me like Herdman put him in a situation he was never going to be able to succeed in, and his deficiencies have been highlighted and over analyzed.

Most disappointing, for me, was his lack of hustle in the first match. Against Panama I thought he came on and did well - even though he had a chance to shoot and passed it up.

It was an undeserved call all around though. He was terrible for the u23s and had done nothing at club level. The only thing he had going for him was that he had been in a Herdman camp before. But so had Akindele. 

18 hours ago, VinceA said:

He doesn't seem to be able to score much at the Eerste Divisie level. In general it seems at the pro level he doesn't have much to offer. Still puzzling why Herdman saw him as a national team caliber player.

It may be the case of the coaching staff liking a player and giving him a chance based on how they rate his potential. As mentioned, there weren't a lot of options at the time, so it was basically him or Akindele. I get the arguments for Tesho instead during that window, and that would have been my pick, but the coaching staff seems reluctant to use him for some reason. He only has a handful of caps under Herdman and has been a regular for Orlando, albeit largely from the bench since 2020. It's a much better level than Byrm is at, so my conclusion is they like particular qualities in Charles and would rather invest in his future.

It was mentioned that he plays better with better players, even though we haven't seen it yet, but the coaching staff have evaluated him more than any of us have, so I trust they know what they're doing. Yes he hasn't scored the goals you'd expect in 2nd tier Holland, but we were saying the same about David this time last year at Lille, then he went on a scoring spree. I will reserve my judgement until at least season's end. The guy hasn't played regular first team football yet, despite being attached to some good clubs. Maybe he won't and can't make the jump, but it remains to be seen as far as I am concerned.

In the meantime, we have Ugbo who's a much stronger player. I doub't we see Charles ahead of him for the foreseeable future. 

17 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

The difference with Colyn is that he is playing for a developmental team. PSV us rumoured to be after him fir a while, so they must ser some potential there. Colyn is also 4 years younger than Brym so still still l legit prospect.

46 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

The difference with Colyn is that he is playing for a developmental team. PSV us rumoured to be after him fir a while, so they must ser some potential there. Colyn is also 4 years younger than Brym so still still l legit prospect.

Colyn hasn't impressed though.

30 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Have you seen any games or reports. I haven't so no idea how he is doing. He did go from a substitute to a starter so that seems promising. 

Admittedly I've only gone off Fotmob but his ratings haven't been great. The latest Northern Futbol had a quote from Galindo where he alluded he's a long way off from being a PSV player.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...