Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

30 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Great move for him, and man what a trajectory he's been having, and still very young. Had a good season at FC Eindhoven, and if he starts getting minutes in the Dutch first division then there's no way Herdman leaves him out of the World Cup squad. 

I think his contribution would have to be significant.  Just getting "minutes" on a poor Eredivisie team shouldn't guarantee him a spot on the World Cup squad. 

Remember, Brym will be competing with the likes of Ugbo, Akinola, etc. What other forwards would he be competing with? 

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think his contribution would have to be significant.  Just getting "minutes" on a poor Eredivisie team shouldn't guarantee him a spot on the World Cup squad. 

Remember, Brym will be competing with the likes of Ugbo, Akinola, etc. What other forwards would he be competing with? 

Millar, Cavallini, Larin, David, Buchanan, Ugbo, Akinola all players playing his position(s) and ahead of him. He’ll have to either impress in the Eredivise or have guys ahead of him out.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Alkmaar fans might take offense. Not a city-mate like those other little brothers either.

I know. There was a bit of zing to that one. Plus the fact that AZ would easily represent his best club yet. Such a trajectory would be Charles reaching his potentinal in my opinion. 

54 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Millar, Cavallini, Larin, David, Buchanan, Ugbo, Akinola all players playing his position(s) and ahead of him. He’ll have to either impress in the Eredivise or have guys ahead of him out.

I'm not sure Akinola is ahead of him. He does have 1 goal but is just coming back from a major injury. He still has a ways to go and I think Brym is ahead of him at the moment

1 minute ago, pod818 said:

I'm not sure Akinola is ahead of him. He does have 1 goal but is just coming back from a major injury. He still has a ways to go and I think Brym is ahead of him at the moment

Agreed.

If Akinola was ahead of Brym right now he'd be the one in camp and Brym would be the one watching from home. 

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I agree, ignoring the fact he was on a poorer team recently and got called to qualifiers. Players were out at the time, but now players are available and he's back in, but probably because it's last chance saloon for players like him to impress.

I do think he'll need to replicate what he did with FC Eidenhovan to be contention. If he puts up those minutes, goals and assists in the Eredivisie I think he's going to make it, or at least be on a sort of stand by list, if that's a thing.

I would be surprised if he does that well though. Pleasently surprised, though.

10 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Of this list, unless something catastrophic happens…Millar, and Akinola are the only ones that I would say aren’t guaranteed to be going. (Increased roster sizes might change that) 

Akinola would have to go on a run of smashing the net, and Millar would have to have a better season than he had this year.

Of the three Brym is the most versatile, and will now be playing in a better league. His fate is in his hands, he just needs consistent minutes and the rest will follow. 

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Of this list, unless something catastrophic happens…Millar, and Akinola are the only ones that I would say aren’t guaranteed to be going. (Increased roster sizes might change that) 

Of the three Brym is the most versatile, and will now be playing in a better league. His fate is in his hands, he just needs consistent minutes and the rest will follow. 

I rate Millar over Brym. Millar plays on a better team and has had success at a higher level than Brym.

It could change but for now Millar > Brym for me, and pretty easily tbh.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

17 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I rate Millar over Brym. Millar plays on a better team and has had success at a higher level than Brym.

It could change but for now Millar > Brym for me, and pretty easily tbh.

I agree. I think everyone on this forum rates Millar highly.

Brym is now in the better league. And if he continues his form, paired with his versatility - will get him in.

Millar is strictly a LW, whereas Brym can play across the front 3.

Edited by Shway

24 minutes ago, Shway said:

I agree. I think everyone on this forum rates Millar highly.

Brym is now in the better league. And if he continues his form, paired with his versatility - will get him in.

Millar is strictly a LW, whereas Brym can play across the front 3.

Millar can play anywhere across the front three. He has also played in the 9,10 and LM in a 442 (as he’s done for Kilmarnock vs Celtic and for Herdman).. he is very versatile only recently has he been playing LW exclusively this past season with 10 goals and 6 assists in 31 appearances…

but always good to have competition for places it pushes them even more…

Edited by spitfire

21 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Millar can play anywhere across the front three. He has also played in the 9,10 and LM in a 442 (as he’s done for Kilmarnock vs Celtic and for Herdman).. he is very versatile only recently has he been playing LW exclusively this past season with 10 goals and 6 assists in 31 appearances…

Is it true, A, that Liam had offers from Zwolle or other teams in Netherlands?

Asking as it is mentioned earlier in the thread.

A bit about Sparta Rotterdam (via Wikipedia)

Established on April 1, 1888, Sparta Rotterdam is the oldest professional football team in the Netherlands.

Sparta currently compete in the Eredivisie, the top flight of Dutch professional football, which they have won 6 times, having earned promotion from the Eerste Divisie in 2018–19. The club is one of three professional football clubs from Rotterdam, the others being Excelsior (est. 1902) and Feyenoord (est. 1908).

The first match at Sparta's new stadium, Het Kasteel (The Castle), in the Spangen area of west Rotterdam, was played on 14 October 1916. The stadium was renovated in 1999 and is still Sparta's stadium.

It has a capacity of 11,026. The name "Het Kasteel" is derived from the small building with two small towers which backs onto the south-facing tribune (Kasteel Stand) of the stadium, which looks similar to a castle. This building is the only authentical remain of the original design. The castle building, which is currently located along the length of the pitch, was originally positioned behind one of the goals.

LouVtR9.jpg

AbncPqL.jpg

3 hours ago, spitfire said:

Last year with the Addicks*** he was rarely out of LW/LM position, no? I recall him being their main threat/source for chances.

At the Killies too, and was tried up top a few times. But that loan spell wasn’t great regardles - I felt like I felt his pain when he was playing there.

Edited by Shway
Was in the Jebbison thread

32 minutes ago, Shway said:

Last year with the blades he was rarely out of LW/LM position, no? I recall him being their main threat/source for chances.

At the Killies too, and was tried up top a few times. But that loan spell wasn’t great regardles - I felt like I felt his pain when he was playing there.

I think you mean Charlton, not Sheffield, if that's what you meant by blades. I imagine the Charlton badge led to the confusion.

I think to your point Shway, Millar has not played as a 9 under Herdman, while Brym has, but it's also true as you know that Liam has plenty of experience at the 9 position.

We may be splitting hairs to suggest Brym is more capable of playing across the front 3 for Canada than Millar, but it's a good problem to have when we can argue that about 2 players under the age of 24, one playing for a top team in Switzerland, the other joining an estaished Eredivisie side.

For the record I don't think there's a debate right now that Millar is ahead of Brym, but I do wonder if Charles would be getting this chance if not for Liam being out.

40 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think you mean Charlton, not Sheffield, if that's what you meant by blades. I imagine the Charlton badge led to the confusion.

I think to your point Shway, Millar has not played as a 9 under Herdman, while Brym has, but it's also true as you know that Liam has plenty of experience at the 9 position.

We may be splitting hairs to suggest Brym is more capable of playing across the front 3 for Canada than Millar, but it's a good problem to have when we can argue that about 2 players under the age of 24, one playing for a top team in Switzerland, the other joining an estaished Eredivisie side.

For the record I don't think there's a debate right now that Millar is ahead of Brym, but I do wonder if Charles would be getting this chance if not for Liam being out.

Was in the Jebbison thread before this, thanks for that correction.

But yea ultimately it is splitting hairs and I never said Brym is close or ahead of Millar…it’s just with his move to a better league, if he keeps his form, and with this call up (if he plays) could force him into the conversation.