Charles-Andres Brym

Vince193

I am not surprised Brym is hitting form. I believe I made the point earlier in this thread how it's too early to write him off. Some were critical that he wasn't scoring at this level, but players need time to find their feet sometimes. I used the example of David starting cold last season and finishing strong. Now David is struggling for goals again, funny enough. Point being is that we sometimes need time for things to play out. As the saying goes, form is temporary. This guy for me always passed the eye test and I wasn't surprised Herdman sees something in him. 

Very happy for Brym.

I think this highlights the importance of playing with a team in form. Last season Besiktas won the domestic league and cup, with Larin scored 19 Turkish Super Lig goals and 23 in all competitions. This season Besiktas are struggling by comparison, knocked out of Europe, the domestic up, and sitting in 7th place in the league. He subsequently has scored just 6 league goals and 7 overall - no surprise. 

I think it's the same for Brym. His club was hot and cold and he only had scored a couple of goals, much to the disappointment of Canada fans. Now his club are hot and so is his goal scoring form. Again, no surprise.

There are exceptions to the rule, like David for instance, but there are many other factors that come into play with his situation. I do believe overall your club doing well is paramount to your individual success. They almost always go hand in hand. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Xavier. said:

There's a decent chance FC Eindhoven get promoted

FC Eindhoven are only four points behind 2nd place FC Volendam and play them in a couple weeks as well.  Hopefully Volendam can drop points in one of their next three games before they play each other.  FC Eindhoven would be able to overtake Volendam for the final automatic qualification spot with a win on the final matchday.

8 hours ago, Corazon said:

Brym has scored 2 more goals today for FC Eindhoven.  He has been really excelling at this level of late.  That makes 7 goals and 1 assist in less than 2 months (11 games).

Perhaps needs another opportunity at a higher level again.

You have to think that with this form, even if Eindhoven don't get promoted, some low-mid level Eredivisie teams might consider bringing him on board

• 1 month later...

Brym is having exactly the type of season he needed, after failing to make an impact on loan in the Portuguese and Belgian top flights. Whether or not they go up or not, this season has truly been one step back, two steps forward.

The dream scenario, of course, will be for the club to promote and play in the Eredivisie next season. If that happens and he keeps scoring, he's absolutely going to be challenging for a spot on the World Cup squad. 

As for the upcoming window, I am not sure he finds a way there, but you never know. He played 3 World Cup qualifiers and that was before he got hot, so that bodes well.

Millar being out injured could help his case, as he can play on the wing (and in fact is playing there now, is he not?), but Theo Corbeanu may warrant a look, or even Jayden Nelson. 

Will be interesting to see if he makes it. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Brym is having exactly the type of season he needed, after failing to make an impact on loan in the Portuguese and Belgian top flights. Whether or not they go up or not, this season has truly been one step back, two steps forward.

The dream scenario, of course, will be for the club to promote and play in the Eredivisie next season. If that happens and he keeps scoring, he's absolutely going to be challenging for a spot on the World Cup squad. 

As for the upcoming window, I am not sure he finds a way there, but you never know. He played 3 World Cup qualifiers and that was before he got hot, so that bodes well.

Millar being out injured could help his case, as he can play on the wing (and in fact is playing there now, is he not?), but Theo Corbeanu may warrant a look, or even Jayden Nelson. 

Will be interesting to see if he makes it. 

But we are becoming so deep at the forward positions, that its going to be dog fight to even earn a spot on the bench.  I cant believe i am typing this considering what we had to endure at this position over the past 36 years.  

I would have a very hard time giving you an assessment of Brym versus Ugbo versus Akinola at the fwd position.  Some ppl here will just dismiss a guy because he plays in MLS but the point is, when he was healthy, Akinola proved lethal.   Either way,  JD and Larin are going to be tough to displace due to their 1) pedigree and or 2) goals scored in Canada uniform.   These other guys will have to fight for a spot on the bench even though all three could be D1 players by the time WC Qatar rolls around.  They should have been born 10-15 years earlier.  We could have used them in 2008, 2012, 2016, 

Edit>;  And to think,   we went into WCQ 2002 with Carlo Cozzazin starting up front for us.  he was playing for Oldham athletic at the time in the English Div III.   You cant go any lower than that.  

Edited by Free kick

13 minutes ago, Free kick said:

But we are becoming so deep at the forward positions, that its going to be dog fight to even earn a spot on the bench.  I cant believe i am typing this considering what we had to endure at this position over the past 36 years.  

I would have a very hard time giving you an assessment of Brym versus Ugbo versus Akinola at the fwd position.  Some ppl here will just dismiss a guy because he plays in MLS but the point is, when he was healthy, Akinola proved lethal.   Either way,  JD and Larin are going to be tough to displace due to their 1) pedigree and or 2) goals scored in Canada uniform.   These other guys will have to fight for a spot on the bench even though all three could be D1 players by the time WC Qatar rolls around.  They should have been born 10-15 years earlier.  We could have used them in 2008, 2012, 2016, 

What is noticeable too is that it's not like we didn't have decent strikers in the pool, it's that they were all ass for the national team. Occean and Friend were pretty good for the clubs but became wasteland merchants when putting on the Canada red.

7 minutes ago, Free kick said:

But we are becoming so deep at the forward positions, that its going to be dog fight to even earn a spot on the bench.  I cant believe i am typing this considering what we had to endure at this position over the past 40 years at this position.  

I would have a very hard time giving you an assessment of Brym versus Igbo versus Akinola at the fwd position.  JD and Larin are going to be tough to displace due to their 1) pedigree and or 2) goals scored in Canada uniform.    Some ppl here will just dismiss a guy because he plays in MLS but the point is, when he was healthy, Akinola proved lethal.   Either way,  JD and Larin are going to be tough to displace due to their 1) pedigree and or 2) goals scored in Canada uniform.   These other guys will have to fight for a spot on the bench.  They should have been born 10-15 years earlier.  We could have used them in 2008, 2012, 2016, 

Agreed, though I would add that Ugbo's scoring form for Troyes should put him solidly at 3rd, at least. So that gives us 3 very good options up front.

After that, Cavallini is 4th in the depth chart (if he isn't 3rd) and while he's struggled to score at club, we can just look at the intensity he brings for the national team, his goal scoring record as well for the national team. I just don't see anyone else breaking in to be honest.

The only possibilities to shake the order up would be a shock Jebbison switch, Akinola catching fire again with Toronto, or Brym going to the Eredivisie and scoring goals. That's it.

Where I do think Brym could break in would be on the wings, possibly. We are super deep out wide, but there may be value in bringing a player in who can play both spots. I guess technically we could consider Corbeanu in the same vein, but he has developed into more of a winger since his Wolves U-23 days. I don't see him as a n. 9 for us.

Just now, VinceA said:

What is noticeable too is that it's not like we didn't have decent strikers in the pool, it's that they were all ass for the national team. Occean and Friend were pretty good for the clubs but became wasteland merchants when putting on the Canada red.

Occean was a little better than Friend, but your point stands. Both were better at club level. 

Both were high level B2 strikers who gained a bit of experience in B1. With that pedigree, you'd think they'd be able to hit double digit goals in concacaf, but Occean only had 6 and Friend had 3, if I recall correctly.

It was truly a dreadful underperformance for Canada. 

4 hours ago, VinceA said:

They were decent but i am trying to be generous in the adjective I am using here.   Those two were target men type centre forwards, not a whole lot of pace and not a whole lot to contribute with the ball at their feet.   In short they needed service.  They were not the types to create a opportunities for themselves.   So with their clubs, they might have looked good due to the support cast around them and system they played but they were not the types to be able to change things on their own for the MNT.  Not like JD, for example,  who can drop back and collect ball and distribute.

Thats why i am not sure that they would even get named to this squad.   One played in Norway and the other in the Bundesliga side but never on one of the top sides (at the time) in Germany.  

Edited by Free kick