Marcelo Flores

SoccerJedi

On 11/14/2021 at 9:46 AM, Floortom said:

Mexico is one of the wealthiest federations in the world - they play a ton of matches, have an amazing history and there's a ton of prestige / cache in being capped by them. Even if Canada overtakes them in the next few years (which I dont think is nearly as likely as you seem to), none of that will be erased. 

That's all true but it's also one of the most corrupt federations in the world with regards to cronyism, nepotism, agent tampering, briberies involving rich kids buying their way into the best youth teams. With the resources and finances this federation possesses, they should be on the level of Argentina or Brazil but unlike those two countries, Mexico doesn't have a culture of meritocracy when it comes to professional soccer. 

Marcelo, if you're reading this, there is a reason you are "their" brightest prospect at this U20 tournament you're involved in. That reason being you didn't grow up or develop in the Mexican youth system because had that been the case, you're career would have already been derailed from a mixture of "agents" extorting your parents for a little extra cash to get you noticed along with the affluent parents of other kids putting the thumb on you to ensure you went nowhere.

When our professional system gets fully fleshed out, MLS getting bigger, CPL establishing itself further across the country along with the continuous expansion of L1 regional leagues, we will have the potential to win a World Cup. Mexico on the other hand only has the potential for further round of 16 losses. Think about it now.   

Edited by Macksam

2 minutes ago, Mattd97 said:

i should have taken spanish in high school....

Twitter as well as youtube now have functions to translate on the spot which makes life much easier.

Getting some good laughs on ESPN deportes over Mexican comments bemoaning their team. They really think we're the favourites here. I'm still not use to being on their level yet. 

Mexican twitter trolls: already calling him gringo and chirping he can't speak Spanish without an accent. Wait until he has a bad game or clunks a sitter. 

Canadian twitter trolls: this is cool , hope you pick us the country you were born and grew up in for a bit. 

How you silence the haters once you pick Canada ..... " I'm very proud of my Mexican heritage and my father being from there but I've decided to pick the country I was born and grew up in". The end. 

Honestly, even if he picks Mexico, mad respect for him saying what he said in his interview with Mexican media. 

Already really like this kid. 

Edited by apbsmith
Typo

10 hours ago, MtlMario said:

I mentioned this before and can't remember where I saw the interview with the father thanking Canada and saying it's the best country in the world blah blah blah. Sure has a strange way of showing his gratitude.

chill... he has shown his gratitude by ultimately contributing to the grow the sport in this country. We might not like where his son chooses to play, but that is ultimately a very personal decision and it doesn't mean he is thankless or it does not make him any less Canadian.. its a game dude.

Again, as you can probably see from my previous posts, I have a lot of respect for his father and what he has done for soccer in this country at the grassroots level and with the Provincial programs.  I believe his father Ruben has a lot of pride for his home country Mexico and may very well guide Marcelo in that direction.  But, I also believe his father is a very smart man and also guiding his children in the right direction and not to rush any decision that they might regret.  Keep all options open until the time is right.  Good parental guidance, unlike another young Canadian teen.

If I was Mexican I'd be worried about Herdman's high emotional IQ and ability to make connection with players, something Tata Martino, nor really many people in general, seem to have. If Marcelo is willing to consider us despite being so deep into the mexican youth team, then there's hope. He's the real deal and is on a trajectory to be a hell of a player, getting him would be the biggest coup of them all IMO.

26 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Again, as you can probably see from my previous posts, I have a lot of respect for his father and what he has done for soccer in this country at the grassroots level and with the Provincial programs.  I believe his father Ruben has a lot of pride for his home country Mexico and may very well guide Marcelo in that direction.  But, I also believe his father is a very smart man and also guiding his children in the right direction and not to rush any decision that they might regret.  Keep all options open until the time is right.  Good parental guidance, unlike another young Canadian teen.

Tomori?

I imagine Herdman is explaining all the rich corinthian leather he'll sit on if he comes to play for us.  The stylish wood panelling, trail blazing standard features and state of the art technology designed for maximum comfort.  Not to mention the factory undercoating....its standard, but ..well I dont usually do this, but maybe if I talk to the boss we can knock off a few hundred.  

• JamboAl changed the title to Marcelo Flores